Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Soooo close

If only dreams came true. susancheerleader's Avatar

Soooo close

Normally I order clothes online from Amazon or eBay. They are rather "discreet" when shipping things. Be it panties or a new wrench. Its pretty much the same package.
    Anyway. I was on JC Penny this morning looking at blouses and a really nice "little black dress" I liked. I didn't want to wait for shipping so chose pick up at store. I thought I would have enough nerve to go pick it up. I probably would have but when I got to the store for pick up I noticed the counter had two twenty something women tending it. I don't know why but they just looked like the type that would give me a hard time buying women's stuff. So I left and came home empty handed. I went back online to change the order from a pick up. To having it shipped to me.
    I thought I'd be able to have guts to go out and get my own stuff. I was wrong.

Don't feel bad I'm just as bad. Sometimes I walk through the ladies department looking for my wife and it feels like all eyes are on me. My wife once dared me to go into the ladies department and buy a pair of pantyhose, I couldn't do it, I don't know if it was my mother and grandmother when I was younger. My friend does all the cloths shopping for his family, I see him in Walmart buying Bra's and women cloths for his daughters and when I see him there he's always stricking up conversations with other women and I don't know how he does it. My wife tells me women smell my guilt.

It can be daunting going into a store to pick a femme item up. First time I did it I said to myself, " OK, this isn't for you, the SO has sent me to get it as she's too busy or it's because it's on my way home from work or any other excuse I could hold in my mind". So I presented myself as being sent on an errand, unsure of what it was I was picking up, just the consignment number to go on, in fact the stereo typical put upon bored husband who had better places to be.

So just be confident, act like there's no reason you shouldn't be doing what you're doing, which there isn't!, and carry on.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Banned Read only
    Susan,
    There's always a next time, just got to do it the once and that's it you won't look back !

The times I've felt like that in different circumstances, I kept hesitating at shopping in charity shops you just don't get the same privacy as retail shops , but once over that I just can't stay away the stuff is so good at ridiculous prices, most are manned by volunteers so they don't have any problems at all with a guy looking through the women's racks.

As someone with 20 years in retail I can tell you with 99% accuracy the clerks/sales persons/associate don't care that you're purchasing a women's article. Men buy women's items and vice versa ALL the time. If the sales person isn't seeing you try on women's garments, you being a cross dresser won't even cross their mind. Especially in a pick-up kind of situation like you described, my thought would be "is wife picked something out and made him get it for her." In general ladies like us really shouldn't be a source of anxiety. If you're shopping dressed or obviously picking things out for yourself, then you might get a snicker or sideways look, but generally sales associates have sales goals/quotas and are more concerned with how much you're spending than what you're buying.

*Pro-tip: retail clerks get so many jerks and pain-in-the-butt customers that if you're nice and polite, you could tell me your buying an axe to chop up my mother and I'd give you great service with a smile.

It all was under my male name. Credit card, order name, ect. So it was obvious it was for me. I chickened out.
    Last edited by susancheerleader; 09-05-2016 at 07:43 PM.

I think not so obvious. I buy women's items for my wife all the time and have no problems when picking them up. I also pick out and buy women's items for myself and have no problem when checking out. I'll even try things on at the big box retailers in my area: Target, K-Mart and Wal-Mart. I've never had a problem or even an odd look. The only mental problem I would have is if a friend was manning the changing room or sales counter. But thankfully that has never happened. Definite anxiety the first time I did it 30 years ago but I don't think twice about it today.
    Last edited by Taylor186; 09-05-2016 at 08:09 PM.

I purchased a pair of breast forms online just recently and decided to pick up as it was on the way home from work at a private house it was the first time for me to pick up, obviously they where for myself (nearly chickened out) but with reading stories from this forum gave me the courage to just do it, I got to the house and a lady a cpl of yrs younger than i answered the door she invited me in and showed me the forms I purchased and suggested I get the next size up due to my frame size.
    She made me feel comftable by explaining about the different types and sizes anyway my point is whether it is in a male name or not it doesn't matter sales people are there to help and most of them don't care if the items for you or your wife.

I've ordered quite a bit of stuff from Penneys, and it comes in a plain package. Nothing to give away what's inside. I ordered a dress from Walmart for store pickup and wouldn't do it again. The lady went in the back and came back with my package, and then opened it right in front of me, to make sure it was right. I just looked at it and remarked that my wife ordered it. Lots of women order stuff on their husbands credit cards.

I know how you feel. My first in person purchase was a few makeup items blush pressed powder and lipstick. It was during a shopping trip to grocery store. I added items with detailed description to my grocery list then used self checkout. With just that little purchase my heart was pounding away. Second purchase was pantyhose at pharmacy. I needed a pair of nude hose I pulled up my panties (cute white thong) walked to display picked out what I wanted and took to regular cashier. I felt sooo good after that purchase got home and threw an outfit together to celebrate my accomplishment. Everything else I've ever purchased was online and diverted to being picked up at shipping facility.

Stand-up Comedian En Fem❤ Alice_2014_B's Avatar
    Just wear a ring that resembles a wedding band; that generally helps my nerves.
    The ring essentially says everything and clears out all other assumptions.
    Melissa: "... and why are you dressed as a woman?"
    Coach McGuirk: "Because it's freeing."

-Home Movies
    (cartoon series)

Shoe size: 9 US women's.
    Dress size: M to L; 8-10.
    Height: 5' 6".

tiptoeing thru the tulips ellbee's Avatar
    No big deal, really.

In the past I probably had the biggest issue with buying stuff in-person like heels, panties, bras or make-up.

Blouse? Dress? Bah.

No biggie.

But honestly? Cashiers/SA's really don't care, especially women. Those who have been working there for at least a week have probably already seen it all.

Many women buy things with their husband's credit card!! My wife used to do it all the time!! Just do it!! Once you do it the first time then you will just do it without thinking about it!!! I just bought a package of pantyhose at Walmart and went through the regular checkout!! You can do it!! Try to forget what it is you are getting!! Maybe think it is a wrench or something masculine and just get it!!! Best wishes!! Hugs Lana Mae

I pick up some online ordered items in store also and never had a problem. Even the time the male clerk held up the dress slip on the hanger and said "Does this look like your order?" I smiled and said yes and life went on. As the other posts have said, no one really cares what you are doing. It seems like a big deal to us in the moment, but like everything else, the more you do it the easier it becomes.

I admire you who have gone into a store and picked up a dress or whatever. I hoped I could but I chickened out at the last minute.
    I know I will get there. I just need to have confidence and just do it.
    But not today.
    I will, that is my goal.

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    To me that is the joy of the buy, going into the store to buy it or trying it on, either in male mode or girl mode. From my experience nobody really notices or cares as long as you smile and are polite it's not a big deal

Banned Read only
    I've used "Ship to Store" with JC Penny and Sears. There's never been any problem or unprofessional comments or behavior. This year I made three different trips to pickup dresses I ordered. The last pickup was for a beautiful sweater dress marked down and with coupons for $17. The young female associate said something to the effect of "Wow!" was a deal. I also picked up tights from JC Penny. No problem. At Sears I had ordered for pickup a long maxi dress that was brought out to me on a hanger and covered only in a poly bag. The male associate said nothing. Every time it was strictly business. Next time if you have any apprehension about other customers just hang back and wait for them to leave.

Aspiring Member
    Many years ago I had to go to a store to buy a bra for my (at the time) wife. I was very comfortable doing so because I knew I was buying it for her. Had I been buying the same size, style, etc. for myself I would have been as red as a ripe tomato.
    It's all in your mind.

Absolutely it was all in my head that this transaction would go badly. If I had seen either males or even older females, I "MIGHT" have done it. But there was something I felt from the young 20 something girls that pushed me off.

It took me years to actually go into a store and buy something. Once I finally did it was no big deal. I now go and buy girl things all the time at many different places.

tiptoeing thru the tulips ellbee's Avatar
    "the young 20 something girls"

Honestly? Odds are they would be totally cool with it. They're just there to do their job, and you're only one customer of many during their shift that day.

No need to be all scared, or start sweating, or turn bright red, or wear sunglasses, or be all sketchy & jittery, or make up some BS story how it's for your GF.

It's okay & natural to be a *little* nervous, and that's even part of the rush. But you're just picking up a couple items, that's it -- they're not going to force you to try it on in front of the whole store or anything, ha!

True that. I just have to get over the nervousness.
    Last edited by susancheerleader; 09-05-2016 at 09:58 PM.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Why does it scare you? What can they possibly do to you for picking it up?
    Are you so worried some one you don't know will think you are a CDer?
    Are you worried the two 20 somethings will think you are gay?
    Are you a homophobe?
    I can see being scared of things that can cause physical harm but buying clothing ? Come on really.

I was very nervous, but, i finally have taken dresses to cleaners for alterations, a number of times, and they pretty much knew, it was for me. i even told one young lady i dress up.

I accept myself as is Gillian Gigs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Micki_Finn View Post
    As someone with 20 years in retail I can tell you with 99% accuracy the clerks/sales persons/associate don't care that you're purchasing a women's article. ..
    Well I might go quite as far as helping out an axe murder, but being nice and polite goes a long way when helping customers. Thirty seconds after a customer leaves the sales counter you remember nothing, as you are usually moving on to the next customer. You know that you are a CDer but they don't!
    Last edited by Lorileah; 09-06-2016 at 12:09 AM. Reason: no need to quote the whole post
    I like myself, regardless of the packaging that I may come in! It's what is on the inside of the package that counts!