Thread: I survived!

I survived!

Just a couple of weeks into living in our new state and city, I have been concerned about walking around with my painted toes showing, out of worry of what reactions to expect from folks in the area. Well, today I ended up somewhat forced into finding out what would happen if I wore my sandals with my shimmer burgundy toes in full display.

This morning, I had an appointment to donate blood, and was getting ready to leave but had to take the dogs out. I had been chatting with my wife when we let the dogs back in, and I completely forgot to put my socks and sneakers on before heading out the door to the car. It wasn't until I was half way to my appointment that I noticed that I had my toes in the wide open. Do I stay on time for my appointment? Or do I turn around, go back home and change, and end up missing my donation? Well, since the donation is a medical necessity for a condition I have, I chose the former and kept on driving. I thought to myself that I had to find out sooner or later, so no better time than the present.

I didn't get arrested. There was no lynch mob. No locals chasing me with shotguns or other weapons. All I got was a few odd looks from some of the guys, and compliments from some of the ladies I ran into.

After I was done and headed home, I decided to run a couple of the errands I needed to run today. Earlier, I decided I would head home after the donation, and come back out later, with properly covered toes. Instead, I decided to push the limits of my courage and pushed on to Walmart and Kohl's. I feel so much better that I experienced this so early after our move.

And through all my doubts, fear, and uncertainty, I survived!

you go girl, well done
    It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.... Scrap that, Set the unicorns freeeeee

Awesome. Fear was not the winner that day! If you are in a reasonable city, that is open and inclusive, then no problem with encounters with strangers. Some people may have noticed the toes but are too civilized to speak aloud. Most are hopefully more enlightened.
    They/Them
    I love dressing as a woman.

Sounds great!! Happy you had a good experience!! I have not gone that far yet!! Hugs Lana Mae

Silver Member Majella St Gerard's Avatar
    Good for you, baby steps. You'll notice that people don't really care.

Thanks all. Living in a fairly progressive city before, I felt safe just being myself out and about. With all of the publicity of the bathroom bill here, this being on the fringe of the Bible Belt, and just preconceived ideas about the south, I was honestly concerned about my safety. Now I know I don't need to be as paranoid.

Not at all. In my line of work I have to move a lot. I've lived in progressive, very pro-LGBT cities, and I have lived in the Bible Belt. There was no difference between the progressive cities I have lived in and the conservative cities when it came to me dressing up. I got treated the same both places. The only difference is that there are more support groups in the more progressive cities, but thats it. I got treated the same everywhere.
    Last edited by Lorileah; 09-17-2016 at 10:47 PM. Reason: no need to quote post above yurs

I had a similar thing happen when I went to my daily coffee shop with my flip flops, waiting in line to order and then realized that my my pretty toe nails were polished in a cute color. I quickly left the line went home and put on shoes. Since everyone knows me there I still have no idea if anyone that I knew saw my toes! We try to be discrete but that sometimes doesn't work

Quote Originally Posted by dolovewell View Post
    Not at all. In my line of work I have to move a lot. I've lived in progressive, very pro-LGBT cities, and I have lived in the Bible Belt. There was no difference between the progressive cities I have lived in and the conservative cities when it came to me dressing up. I got treated the same both places. The only difference is that there are more support groups in the more progressive cities, but thats it. I got treated the same everywhere.
    This is precisely what I was hoping for with this move, and seems to be what I am finding out to be true. We've been here not quite 3 weeks, so still getting a feel for the area. But, overall it has been good.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Because of this experience on Saturday, I have now made it back to my comfort level of both fingers and toes being painted 24x7. As part of the spousal agreement, I try to stay in the more neutral color range for hands, and toes are open season. It doesn't make a ton of sense, considering that they're both now in the open, but I don't mind compromising on this to help her feel comfortable in her acceptance.
    I had more errands this weekend to run, and had the full paint jobs done up. Drug store, beauty supply store, Wally World, grocery store, takeout restaurant, and hardware supply stores were all on the list. Not one single strange look nor negative comment was noticed.

I did have a very positive experience though at the beauty supply store. I was coming in mainly for shampoo and conditioner, but noticed that they had a BOGO sale on a brand of nail polish I adore. I got the primary supplies and looked over the colors, and grabbed a few new ones, including the rose gold colored one I now have on. When I got to the counter, she looked at the nail polish with a curious look, and gave me a huge smile when I said "Don't you just love the colors this company makes?". This started up a conversation, and she took me over to the polish racks, and started talking about the new stuff they will be getting in at the start of October.

Next step is to find a new nail salon here that I can feel comfortable at, like what I had in Phoenix.

Not sure why, but I've tried to make these 2 different posts, and the forum software keeps merging them.