Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cross dressing Ã*s a form of anger managment?

Cross dressing Ã*s a form of anger managment?

I know i am new to cross dressing, but i have come to realize that it is also theraputic for me. Before i started dressing i was angry all the time and it started taking its toll one my marrige and friendships to where noone wanted to be around me because noone wanted to be the one to set me off (never violent just angry) but since i started dressing i have noticed that i am not angry anywhere near as much as i used to be, my marrige and my social lives are way better and people actually enjoy being around me now, i started to get angry 2 weeks ago while i was dressed and as me and my wife were arguing over something stupip i jst started laughing my wife still upset from my anger asked what was so funny and all i could say is its impossible for me to be mad when im sitting here in a dress and makeup with a bra stuffed with socks lol. Is this true for anyone else?

Yes to some degree for me too. I always seem to be in a better mood, or just happier while I am dressed. I think its the petticoats!!

It's not uncommon for girls to say that dressing has a calming/balancing effect on them. I would NOT however recommend using it as a substitute for therapy. If your anger issues are so severe that it's negatively impacting your life (eg people not wanting to be around you) you should probably consider some sort of counseling as well.

I am a pretty easy going person so I don't have anger issues but I am always happy when dressed

Quote Originally Posted by Micki_Finn View Post
    It's not uncommon for girls to say that dressing has a calming/balancing effect on them. I would NOT however recommend using it as a substitute for therapy. If your anger issues are so severe that it's negatively impacting your life (eg people not wanting to be around you) you should probably consider some sort of counseling as well.
    I have seen counselors off and on throughout my life and none have helped, I always seem to leave with more issues than I started with or some form of medication that I became addicted to and then had to go to a form of counseling to help with that, dressing up with my wife I seem to be able to talk to her more openly, I was raised to where men didn't show emotion, or discuss personal issues, that's what women do, so when I dress as a woman I am able to get everything out in a peaceful (for lack of better words) manner, even though I only open up to my wife all those who are around me has been able to benifit from it. Isn't that the goal of therapy? To make ones self a better person?

Jane, yes the goal of therapy is ultimate to improve our lives. I just caution you to not think that the disease is fixed just because the symptoms disappear. Ultimately therapy is there to resolve the underlying issues that are causing our problems. Yes, it's possible that the root of your anger is related to GD or whatnot, but it's also possible that it's just masking the problem and not fixing it.

A stock answer from one of the advice columnists when asked about a persons cross dressing was that to suppress the urge to cross dress was to risk a build up of frustration.
    Certainly for me I find that as long as I can dress whenever I like I feel calmer and more relaxed. If circumstances do not allow me to fully express my need to cross dress then I find my mood changes and I become more frustrated and the frustration can express itself as flashes of irritation and even anger. However in your case you say that you are new to cross dressing. Did you ever feel the need to cross dress earlier in life? For me and many on this forum, the desire to cross dress has been with us for most of our lives, so it is the suppression of the desire to cross dress that can lead to frustration. I see that as being different to finding that cross dressing is a therapy for angry feelings.

Micki, I agree that the problem is not gone just because the symptoms are not visible, but when I dress I can honestly open up and face my demons, as far as Gd goes (I assume you mean gender disorder) I have none as I am a man and I love being a man, I just do not like the man I had become, but still have no desire to be anything other than a man, yet it is weird that dressing as a woman has allowed me to discuss my emotions fears and concerns with my wife, when before I started dressing, I couldn't, I was raised being taught that men did not show emotions nor did we discuss our problems, as far as masking the problem no not by any means, in fact it is quite the opposite as I am able to face them head on and work towards solving them in a calm constructive manner vs an angry destructive on.

Consuelo

No I have never had the urge to cross dress until me and my wife were joking and she said I would look cute in her dress, so being a smart ass I put it on and that is when the "pink fog" everyone talks about engulfed me, wich I felt disgusted with myself for a week or so, but not angry. I am no longer disgusted with myself and have embraced cross dressing and ever since me and my wife talk, I mean really talk and it has helped me to explore why I have been so angry all these years, and none of it has anything to do with gender or dressing but rather things that I have seen and done throughout my life

While I'm much calmer and composed while dressed I don't see it as "anger management" for me.
    Yes, I get upset at this stupid world on a daily basis, but I began dressing long before things were crazy.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I'm happy it makes you a much nicer person to be around.

Whatever works but we don't need an excuse to CD. Just do it and be happy.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Quote Originally Posted by Kate Simmons View Post
    Whatever works but we don't need an excuse to CD. Just do it and be happy.
    Not an excuse to do it just a side effect from doing it

Stand-up Comedian En Fem❤ Alice_2014_B's Avatar
    I started a thread some weeks ago about how just browsing online at dresses and heels is a great stress reliever.
    And anything from lounging around at home in heels and guy-shorts to being fully dressed up is just overall amazing; I can definitely see your point, Jane.
    There're many facets to how crossdressing, or just thinking about it, can be therapeutic.
    Melissa: "... and why are you dressed as a woman?"
    Coach McGuirk: "Because it's freeing."

-Home Movies
    (cartoon series)

Shoe size: 9 US women's.
    Dress size: M to L; 8-10.
    Height: 5' 6".

FWIW; suppressing the desire to crossdress leaves our minds less capacity to deal with other forms of stress, so we're more likely to lash out. Alleviate the frustration of holding back the crossdressing, and we're calmer individuals, better able to deal with the OTHER aggravating things in life. Crossdress and feel carefree!
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Quote Originally Posted by Jane277 View Post
    Before i started dressing i was angry all the time and it started taking its toll one my marrige and friendships to where noone wanted to be around me because noone wanted to be the one to set me off (never violent just angry) but since i started dressing i have noticed that i am not angry anywhere near as much as i used to be
    I was raised to where men didn't show emotion, or discuss personal issues, that's what women do, so when I dress as a woman I am able to get everything out in a peaceful (for lack of better words) manner, even though I only open up to my wife all those who are around me has been able to benifit from it.
    Regardless of how you were raised, if you still now truly believe that men shouldn't show emotion or discuss personal issues AND that only women are allowed to do this, I don't blame you for having anger issues when you felt you couldn't dress. This is an awful way to live ... to not allow yourself to feel the full breadth of human emotion. This must have been so stifling!

You need to know though, that regardless of how you were raised, many men do in fact show emotion and they do discuss their personal issues ... maybe not to everyone while shouting it all from the rooftops (most women don't show their emotions in public either, nor are they in the habit of discussing personal issues with strangers), but certainly both men and women can be honest about how they feel with close friends and loved ones.

So maybe you can work on what you allow yourself to do when you're in guy mode. Let your guy self join the human race, and this would help with your anger issues. I'm not saying you shouldn't dress - go ahead and dress all you want - just don't repress yourself so much when you're in male mode, for example don't make rules that you mustn't drink wine or eat salads (or whatever else you might think men shouldn't drink or eat), or that you shouldn't dance or tell someone if you feel down or worried, etc, when you're in guy mode. This is not healthy.

I agree with Micki_Finn, I don't think you should use the CDing as a form of anger management. Instead, work on un-stifling yourself while in guy mode, I think this would help you get to the bottom of why you were so angry before.

[EDIT]
    Having said all this, IF you were getting angry because you wanted to dress but didn't feel free to do so, then this was like having a tantrum. A lot of people don't get to do what they want, but they don't lash out at others because of it. Getting angry to the point where others don't want to be around is not productive, since fundamentally, other people are not responsible for the decisions we make. It is best to do as you have done ... acknowledge that you want to dress, and take steps that will enable you to do so. So, good on you for having accomplished this!
    Last edited by ReineD; 09-18-2016 at 08:13 PM.
    Reine

I struggle with anger all my life, too, for a number of painful issues. My parents did not want any of their kids to ever marry, and kept me from the opposite sex. I try to be a kind, gentle giant as a man, but if i do not have any social needs met at all, I can morph into the Incrdible Hulk, easily, becausae i have no friends and no one to talk, all alone in an indifferent world. to.As a 62 yo never married loner CD, i cannot even imagine what it would be like to have a wife who tolerates, or accepts CDing! You are so very fortunate to have a So you can talk to. All the women i have tried to date, tell me i must quit CDing, rise above it, and overcome it.
    Last edited by Alice Torn; 09-18-2016 at 08:28 PM.

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    Definately a stress reliever for me but I don't have any particular anger management problems. In female mode I feel more relaxed and content with myself, only if I have extended periods when I can't dress does it become an issue, and even then It's something I can control.

In my case, I wouldn't call crossdressing a form of anger management so much as a great stress reliever. Much as I can see the cause-and-effect dynamic of stress leading to frustration and that, in turn, leading to anger and potentially turning me into a miserable and bitter person whom no one wants to be around, I rarely let it get to that point before turning to this unique yet highly effective safety valve for relief.

Crossdressing to me is a means of escaping to a sort of fantasy world ("Da plane! Da Plane!" ) where I can leave all the stresses and sometimes rigid and onerous gender-based expectations of "male world" behind - almost like taking a brief virtual vacation from the daily grind to recharge my batteries. That is not to say that the real world that natal women have to deal on an everyday basis is all unicorns, rainbows, and lollipops, either, but it is a change of pace and an oasis of calm and contentment for people with our predispositions. From a clinical standpoint, I would imagine that crossdressing for us releases those endorphins to the pleasure receptors in our brains that result in feelings of peace, contentment, serenity, and overall wellness. A type of natural "high" probably not unlike that experienced by runners or other extreme athletes.

I've always maintained that no matter how burdensome some of us may feel that our crossdressing can be at times and how much it can complicate our lives, when it comes to relieving stress it is far less harmful than drinking alcohol to excess or taking drugs. Besides, not only is it non-fattening either - if anything, it even encourages some of us to lose weight to either achieve a desired "girlish" figure (or reasonable facsimile thereof ) or else to finally be able to fit into that "to die for" dress that we have been salivating over for what feels like forever .

It's funny because when my wife sees I start to get stressed or moody and there is no opportunity to dress, she suggest I get dressed and go for a drive. If the kids go away for the weekend and I get overwhelming time to dress, she notices I'm much calmer and focused that week. So you could say it is good therapy. It's like escaping yourself for a little while.

Sorry to keep harping on this (re my edit to post #15), but Maria doesn't this put undue responsibility on your wife (having to read your moods and come up with solutions for you)? Might it not be better for you to take responsibility for yourself and develop the ability to determine when you feel you need to escape yourself for a little while, so that you can then tell your wife that you need to dress?
    Reine

I'm starting to regret posting this topic as most of you have completely missed the point

1. Not being able to dress has nothing to do with my anger issues as up until last month I never had any thoughts about, or desire to cross dress, my cross dressing started with a joke from my wife that I would look cute in her dress so I put it on and decided I liked it, because the clothes were soft and comfortable that's it. I have no desire to be a woman, I just discovered I like the feel of women's clothes

2. My anger issues are plain and simple that I have always been unable to deal with life's everyday stress so I kept everything bottled up until I lashed out with attitude which made me miserable to me around

3. Ever since I started cross dressing I am able to laugh at myself and not take everything so seriously which has made it easier to discuss everyday problems that have arisen as they arise.

I'm starting to regret posting this topic as most of you have completely missed the point
    If I was among those who missed the point, then I apologize.

I was going by what you said in post #5, where you were raised to feel that as a guy, you could not express emotion or discuss personal issues and you were taught that only women can do this. I was pointing out that any man who believes this would certainly feel stressed when faced with day-to-day stressful issues, and it makes sense it would come out sideways as anger if he keeps everything bottled up. The best pressure outlet for pent-up emotions is the ability to recognize them and then share them with others, whether we are male or female.

So I suggested that you should learn to express your emotions and discuss personal issues (with people you feel close to) while in guy mode, just in case the pressure should get to you during a time when you cannot dress.
    Reine

ReineD obviously I still struggle with discussing things, but that is exactly what I meant by it is therapeutic because I have begun to be able to open up no matter how I dress (of course only to my wife) but others get to see and be around a much calmer person, I cannot fault anyone but myself for missing the point as I re read all my posts and it truly was not clear on what I was trying to say, and for that I apologize. Like I said my issues are still there but I am working on them and the dressing opened the door to true progress, and to think I have spent thousands on shrinks over the last 20 years and all it took was a 100$ wardrobe lol

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    Sorry to keep harping on this (re my edit to post #15), but Maria doesn't this put undue responsibility on your wife (having to read your moods and come up with solutions for you)? Might it not be better for you to take responsibility for yourself and develop the ability to determine when you feel you need to escape yourself for a little while, so that you can then tell your wife that you need to dress?
    I have to agree. There certainly seems to be a passive-aggressive component to this type of behavioral pattern...

Platinum Member
    Hi Jane, It's been said that Crossdressing soothes the Savage Beast......
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!