Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Growing your hair out/How to do it in guy mode?

I agree with Krisi, the hair change your looks quite a bit.
    I have long hair. it used to go mid-back now it's a bit bellow the shoulder. I usually have it down, sometimes in a ponytail and have never had a problem. The thing is, it's not styled like a girl's hair, so it doesn't quite fit the look wheb dressed...
    Also head bangs are awesome
    - Dani

It's nice when wearing a wig to be able to change style and color at whim. But I hate that it's so damn hot; and then my makeup sweats off lol. I'm attempting to grow my hair out now, but my natural hair is so curly I'm afraid I'll end up with a fro instead of what I want.

Having worked a job requiring a hat and hair ties back, the awkward first stages growing mine out we're pretty well hidden. But, for the most part, no one really ever cared or had much to say about it. Long hair for men is so popular now it doesn't draw much attention. Now that my hair is an inch or two from my waist I wear it up in a high messy bun day to day with only the occasional quizzical look or comment.

Aspiring Member
    Growing mine close to 20 months now. Was afraid for no reason first. I work in office. When my hair was long enough for a bun, I did it and still do. However, for a while it was short on the sides. So I got brave enough to wear hairclips, just metal, not shiny, one on each side close to the bun, just to hold my hair in place behind ears. I then did an undercut to take off some hair at the back and above ears. Now started to grow it back. I still use hair clips on the back. Not a single guy commented on that, not even my father who does not know about my CD and not that tolerant. I went to business meetings like this and trade shows. Looks like no one cares!

Count me in as another hair grower. It has been just over a year now for me. I love all the hair advice I now get. Product recommendations and ways to style it. My bathroom counter is full of hair oils, creams, etc. I now own 3 flat irons. BTW, my wife hates my long hair, but does help me with my ponytail from time to time. I have a lady at work that likes to pull it back in a ponytail and clip the sides with bobby pins so it stays. This is really a non issue as far as I am concerned.

I have been growing my hair out for 15 months now and it's just beyond shoulder length. I work in offices in a pretty traditional and formal setting. As Krisi has said, long hair could be career-limiting for a guy. But then you only live once.

Funnily enough, about six months ago when it was becoming noticeably longer, I kept getting comments from colleagues, some supportive, others poking fun. Since then I've moved to another division of the same company where I am part of a completely new team. Silence! Not a word. With no history, as such, they accept me as I am.

No plans to get it cut any time soon. Thanks for the tips, everyone. I think I need to move now to the next stage of using scrunchies and clips. Lots of new experiences and fun!

Michelle

My hair hasn't been cut in a year and a half. I only tie it back when I am working in the hot Florida sun. I get ab occasional snide remark at work but I just stare them down. Ilove the way it bounces when I come down the steps. I say go for it, let it grow !!!

Thanks for all the info and support. I was ready to cut it last week, was so hot out and got frizzed out. I flat iron it a couple times a day at work and it stays better as long as I don't get too hot.
    I am probably my own biggest critic about it. My wife grabs it and likes it for the most part. Sometimes says I need a hair cut.
    I'm gonna let it go and see what happens for now.
    Thanks again!!!!!

Just do not give up it takes some getting used to .Once it gets long you will be gratful
    I have a hubcap diamond star halo

Reality Check
    Quote Originally Posted by brit_cd View Post
    ...............I flat iron it a couple times a day at work and it stays better as long as I don't get too hot.
    Have you seen a hairdresser about that? A perm or other procedure might be a longer lasting fix.

I did the donate thing a couple of times, each time i got it cut people would say " why did you cut your hair!" So i just let it grow now. I do have ahair dresser who helps out
    with tips on hair care. If you want it long you have to ty it back ponytail whatever and .putting up with the BS comes with the territory, so be prepared. ...myself i will never wear my hair short again,

Wanda -- great-looking hair in your avatar photo! Since you've been down the grow-it-out road a few times, can you say how long it takes to get from short to what you're showing there? I'm in the 'awkward length phase' and need to believe there's an end somewhere on the calendar.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

My hair in the front is about to my mouth. Just slicking it back for now until I got more length in the back. I can pull of a kind of pixie cut with my hair styled in a feminine way. I like it especially with some hair accessories. Love hair bands and clips.

I'm new here but wanted to respond to this thread if I may... I've had hair half way down my back since I was 13 years old. Bangs just as long. Its only been cut short perhaps twice since I was 19. I work in IT/software and have had to go to customer sites and deal with large corporation executives, etc. They don't care. Be clean, be neat, be confident. A slicked back ponytail is pretty much norm these days.

Ashley - didn't mean it as male or female, just long hair has to be "controlled" (hairnets, etc)

Jennie,my hair growes about 2" in 6 months, getting thru the time it's not quite long enough and it's just a bit to short,is the hard part . Look forward to seeing how you do

Mines well past my shoulders,ponytail most days often use four to five hair ties down the length of it
    To keep it from getting tangled. Other days my wife will braid it for me. I enjoy undoing the braid in the evening, then a quick brushing, leaving me with wavey curls which I really do enjoy
    Joan58

I think about it all and i decide to realy do it and grow long hair. Not just for to "complet" my girly look but for some reason i start to like to have long hair even in male mode. Its way cooler and I look too young with short hair. Lenght of hair wont by issue in my work since i work as railroad technician. But it seems nobody have issues in work at all. Actualy i never heard anything about hair in dresscode of any company.
    I wonder if you can guess whether it will be long hair curly, straight, or something in between? You know, some clues

I have hair down to my shoulder blades. I keep my hair down rather than tying it to fit in with the hippy community where I live. In health food stores here, long hair is the norm with short hair few and far between. I guy mode, I just brush my hair a little on top, put on some old jeans with holes in them, then put on an old shirt with grease stains in the front. As a girl, I spend at least a half hour brushing may hair smooth and clear of tangles. Then put on leave-in conditioner for the hair to shine. Then brush the hair down again to spread the conditioner. I make sure there is a curled rim over the ears and in back around the bottom. Real feminine. I then put on a clean blouse overt tight jeans as I’ve seen many skinny models use. With sandals.

Clorissa

I tried growing my hair out, and it kept on going. Now almost all of it is out.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Doesn't get out much. sandcastle's Avatar
    I've been growing mine out for about a year now. My firm is pretty open-minded, but I have still have had occasional trims/tidy around review time. I'm in IT, so be good at your job, and company won't say too much. I work at keeping it neat (wash it regular, and use conditioner and discrete hairspray). I get the odd looks from colleagues more when it's sticking up (wind or rushed drying) than from style. Regards Sandra.
    Sandcastle is a bit buried.

I tried growing mine out but there is not enough anymore to make it look good (( Wigs to the rescue!!

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    After 4 years starting at maybe an inch long here is where it is now
    Attached Images Attached Images

my hair has not been cut in over 4 years not a problem in male or fem mode for me I do get called mam from time to time and that's ok I just smile my GF didn't like it but shes gone so its ok
    hugs
    Ronda