Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dresses vs Skirts

Aspiring Member
    While less versatile, I prefer dresses to skirts. I admit that some days I'd rather be in bell-bottomed trousers or skinny jeans but that's another story.

I generally prefer dresses because they're a great deal easier to put on, are slightly more forgiving in shape, and lack the need to coordinate with a top. For me the main draw is the greater comfort around my waist. I would generally look for dresses I can put on by stepping into them.

I have long preferred skirts and blouses/tops. It was hard at first to find dresses that fit correctly. Dresses are harder for me to put on and take off. I can mix and match skirts, tops, and pants for a wide variety of outfits.
    Hugs, Carole

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    I think I'm a skirt girl, like you said Jen you can mix and match with skirts. For me it's hard to find a lot of places to wear a dress and not just stand out unless your going out to dinner, which I really don't do

In RE: waists. It would depend on your body style Dresses

Basic Simple
    fitted dress, usually cut with jewel neckline, darts,fitted set-in sleeves,natural waistline, and straight skirt.
    (Also called fitted dress.) This is if your waist is just below your rib cage. This is the common cut. It may be pinched to accentuate the waist or just slightly narrower., This is the hour glass look

Empire Dress with high waistline under the bust. Good for those with tummies. Men may prefer wearing this because it takes the hourglass look out and makes it more baby doll or triangular

Elasticized waist Waist contains elastic for comfort. Good for those who don't have a cut waist but want a shape
    Dress may be of any style, either with or without waistline seam.
    May be belted or unbelted. This will conform to your body shape whatever you waist is. Adding a belt gives the illusion of a waist

Shirtwaist Dress with bodice styled like a tailored shirt, usually buttoned from neck to below waist, with either a straight
    or full skirt. (May be called shirt dress if it does not have a waistline.)

Drop waist Dress with elongated bodice so that waistline seam falls below waist.
    (Also called low-torso. Unfitted variation of soft, drapable fabric with short skirt may be called a
    flapper dress)

Dresses without waist lines. Jumper., straight or slight "A" shape from armpits down

Asymmetric takes the waist away and gives a draped illusion from shoulder to opposite hem like /

So if you have a lower waist, looking at the elastic, empire, or flapper cut will fit you better. A jumper will allow you to not show waist at all
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Aspiring Member
    When I first started cross dressing I favoured skirt and blouse and blouse but then graduated to top and skrt and then yo dresses. Now i love dresses

I prefer skirts simply because the fit is better. I'm tall for a woman (5'9) and my torso is a bit longer for most standard length dresses in my size, which results in poor fit. Even though dresses may not have a defined waist in the design, they are cut to sit a certain way on the waist and hip and standard lengths dresses are always an inch or two off on me. The overall length doesn't matter so much - I don't care if a dress that is supposed to be knee length is two inches above the knee on me - it's the way the dress fits along the torso and hip that I don't like, unless I find a brand that provides "tall" sizes. And I'm not inclined to hunt for the few brands that provide this.

Also, skirts are more casual which fits my lifestyle better.
    Reine

tiptoeing thru the tulips ellbee's Avatar
    "I'm tall for a woman (5'9)..."

Um, do you realize how many here would kill to be that "tall"? LOL

Anyway, I'm that height, as well, and I just tend to wear dresses that have some stretch to the fabric to help alleviate the issue you described. I suppose it at least kinda works for me?

I would so love to be able to shave my legs and where sundresses with sandals. So, for that reason i'm in the dress side of the house.
    WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum posts both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal action.

I like skirts because you can mix them with different tops and they're more easy to fit (especially for crossdresser: like others said larger frame & bigger shoulders)
    However, dresses can be very very beautiful (almost piece of art). So when I find a nice dress that fits I can't resist.
    Dresses are for me one of the most "feminine" item.
    Boys who dress as girls have more fun.

dresses for me The problem is trying to find the right ones that fit correctly, can be a hit or miss. I love the versatility with skirts, but quite frankly for some reason i can never pick the right top, so have a dress just solves that problem for me
    stay pretty, christy

I am a bit thick in the middle and a skirt tends to just bring that out even more. On the other hand a dress with an empire waist does a good job of hiding my extra in the middle.

I like both. Preference depends on the day.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

LOve them both but wore a skirt today

IMG_1310.jpg

With having almost 50 skirts, and only maybe 15 dresses, I guess the skirts win. I am pretty fussy when comes to dress's. Each to his own, keeps the market going.

Banned Read only
    It's dresses and dresses and more dresses.......140 and counting. My measurements are 42-38-40 which is not my idea of an ideal figure, but, that's what it is and it's going to stay that. Dresses work better to obscure the lack of a female figure. I wear dresses that do not have a defined waist line.....sheaths, wraps, empire waist. If I wore a skirt and top it would define my waist.

hmmmmm...didn't know we had to pick...

Skirts just give so many more options of how I want to look than my dresses.

I like both but skirts just seem to work much better for me. Most dresses just seem to have fit issues that are harder to deal with. Although they both are great when the fit is right.

I think that many women prefer skirts and tops as most are not the exact size that a dress is cut to.
    Myself, I'm bigger up top and so I prefer separates. They fit me better and also give me so much flexibility in my wardrobe. 2 tops and 2 skirts = 4 outfits. Add another top and it's 6 and so on. More for your money.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Aspiring Member
    I've always preferred skirts/separates. So many possibilities. I only have 3 dresses in my wardrobe, and I barely wear them.

Reality Check
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumped View Post
    I am a bit thick in the middle and a skirt tends to just bring that out even more. On the other hand a dress with an empire waist does a good job of hiding my extra in the middle.
    Many women have that "thick" problem and their solution is to wear their blouses "out" (not tucked in to a skirt or pants). This also solves our problem of the waist being in the wrong place because the blouse hides the waistline. We need to learn to think like women.

BTW: If you find yourself changing clothes in your car somewhere, separate blouses and skirts are far easier to deal with than dresses.

I would give an edge to skirts. Love them. Have lots of nice dresses, but like the versatility of skirts.

Quote Originally Posted by laurababe View Post
    I just tend to wear dresses that have some stretch to the fabric to help alleviate the issue you described. I suppose it at least kinda works for me?
    I'm glad this works for you.

Stretch used to work for me too (provided the dress was long-torso), when I was super skinny in my 40s. But, since menopause and the slight weight gain I've put on since then, I prefer to not wear clothes where the stretchy fabric hugs some bulges.

In any event, even stretchy dresses have defined waists and hips, if you lay them out on a flat surface. They're not cylindrical, because they're designed to fit a woman's curves. I appreciate the feedback, but it doesn't work for me.
    Reine

Aspiring Member
    I love to wear dresses, but I also have some skirts that I adore, so it's not easy to choose one over the other, but on balance I reckon dresses have the edge. I think for me, it rather depends on various things including my mood, the weather (even if I'm not going out), and what I'm going to be doing.

Silver Member
    I wear skirts more often because I usually change into my outfit in my car to some degree (can't walk out of the house all put together) so changing my jeans for a skirt is easier than trying to put on a dress in my car. I do also like to wear dresses for a few reasons, I feel more "in" a dress, often with a back zipper..., i can change the appearance of my shape with an empire waist...The drawbacks are finding a good fit and the changing difficulties.
    For skirts i love scuba pencil skirts and skater skirts too.