Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dresses vs Skirts

Banned Read only

Dresses vs Skirts

This battle rages for most cross dresser, I suppose, but I realized today as I was getting dressed to go out that if I were not a cross dresser, I am pretty sure I'd prefer skirts to dresses. Simply changing tops and shoes make for totally different outfits. Three skirts and 5 tops would go a long way to making a full wardrobe. Add a sweater or two and belts and BOOM unlimited choices....

Sure works for my wife. But, alas, I am across dresser and I think dresses will always win but it's nice to have options;-) How about you?

Aspiring Member
    I used to prefer skirts to dresses, because it was easier to find stuff to fit, being that my shoulders are more like a size 14 or large, but my waist or bottom was more like a medium or small depending on whether it sits on the waist or hips. But now I've found dresses that work for me and prefer them. I still can't wear a sheath dress. I prefer shift dresses,then flare or a-line dresses. But I know what you mean about the versatility and economics of skirts and blouses/tops.

tiptoeing thru the tulips ellbee's Avatar
    Way more outfit options with skirts, which is awesome.

But a dress, well, it's a dress! With the "whole-body" thing going on, it's hard to resist. And difficult to argue with a nice one.

At one point years ago I had *tons* of skirts, all above the knee, in all kinds of colors & patterns. So many possibilities when putting together what to wear with what, creating different looks. I was totally addicted.

Currently I'm in the process of re-building my wardrobe, and it's something I've been thinking about. Obviously will be going with some of both, but at what percentage, who knows.

My eye is gravitating towards dresses as I shop around. But I also already have some tops that I wear with yoga pants/leggings, jeans, etc. So, in that sense, some skirts would make things that much easier & probably a bit less expensive.

Definitely always a tough choice, though!

While I enjoy a nice skirt, my mind likes knowing the fact that I am in a dress. Add to that the fact that I have quite a few wedding dresses and ball gowns and the choice becomes quite obvious.

as much as I like my skirt, I have to admit I love my dresses

Platinum Member
    Hi Jenn, I have a good number of skirts and a lot if dresses ant I totally enjoy wearing both
    and the combinations with skirts and tops is awesome, If I had to choose only one it would be the skirt......
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

It's difficult to explain but I think that a dress just makes you feel that little bit more feminine. I'm not sure if it's the restriction of movement or the fact that in male mode we can also wear shirts. So a dress is completely alien from our normal attire. I vote for dress. 😃

Banned Read only
    I've tried a few dresses. Didn't like them. Skirts and tops all day

5 skirts plus 5 tops equals 30(?) combinations.

1 dress equals 1 option.

Aspiring Member
    I prefer dresses. With my shape it is hard to keep a skirt from sliding down my hips. I do agree that mixing tops & skirts can change looks quickly.
    Sara

Being old and somewhat lazy, getting older and lazier, I find that a dress is so much easier to use to "put together" an outfit. I started with skirts and tops and still buy them. However, I get out of the house so much quicker now than before when I would pre-dress a couple of nights before actually going out laboring over every detail of what I wore. I also have way too many of everything, so making a decision is that much harder!

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Carol View Post
    It's difficult to explain but .... a dress is completely alien from our normal attire. 
    I think this is it. It's somehow "more" feminine than a skirt (seems odd, but then so is cross dressing). But so much more flexibility with a skirt! I guess cross dressing is not really about being practical

And Allie, I agree with you. A dress makes for easy getting out the door!

tiptoeing thru the tulips ellbee's Avatar
    I dunno.

Yes, dresses can make one look & feel ultra-feminine. No doubt about that.

Then again, so can the right long-sleeve top paired with a short skirt, too. At least in my experience, anyway.

Plus you're also still able to wear that top with some really dressy feminine slacks or whatever. Because you know what? Sometimes a dress simply looks out of place for the situation/environment.

Silver Member
    Since I'm a CD and not dressing on a daily basis, the skirt/top option is quite convinient. I, unlike some here, have a limited wardrobe. For several reasons. Hard to justify the expense on rarely used clothing, plus my wife gets mad if she thinks my wardrobe is too big. It's that fear of obsession or potential transition. Of course both are somewhat unrational, but she doesn't want to know.

Anyway, a dress is usually a bit nicer. It falls different and had different patterns. Dresses are just a bit more formal, and can really convey a message of elegance, grace and style. So while limiting the combinations and frankly being often a bit more challenging to put on or off, a dress is something special. And most CDS like to feel special.

As I have only started to jump into dressing I have found I really love dresses, BUT, I haven't tried many skirts and I really want to give them a fighting chance.

Well, even though I have more dresses than skirts, I prefer the skirt. More variety over all when paired with various tops and accessories. Which is what I need to start buying. Just my 2 cents! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Skirts are very convenient but few things beat the feel of a dress as it flows and swirls around your legs.

Gold Member
    You are correct, Dresses are the best, However I do have more skirts that dresses;
    And like to wear a skirt more than a dress. Just a lot simpler to wear.
    Rader

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    I like both, but dresses just edge it for me. Mind you, can depend how I feel on the day.

I agree, carol. A skirt and shirt is almost like shorts and a shirt, so a dress feels more feminine, but I also like the fact that it's so singular- just one object that takes care of covering everything. So simple, like a work of art. I do see the advantage of opening up different options when you separate the top and bottom, I just haven't tried yet. I'm all dresses and no skirts yet

Stand-up Comedian En Fem❤ Alice_2014_B's Avatar
    I'm a "dresses and skirts only" girl.
    Though I prefer dresses to skirts, I cannot argue the fact that skirts allow for more with different tops.

Melissa: "... and why are you dressed as a woman?"
    Coach McGuirk: "Because it's freeing."

-Home Movies
    (cartoon series)

Shoe size: 9 US women's.
    Dress size: M to L; 8-10.
    Height: 5' 6".

Most of my skirts are fluffier and more fun to twirl around in. And they also have floral patterns that I love, so I'd have to say that they win.

A dress is to a skirt, as a suit is to a sport coat. More class.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mirror.jpg I prefer a dress! at all times
    No regrets except I should have got dressed & stepped out sooner.

I like dresses a little more than skirts, because skirts can slip down. Sometimes i will put a matching skirt over a dress, and wear it over the lower part of the dress.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Definately a dress girl. Only bought one skirt in my entire life and wore it once.

If not a dress, I am a blue jeans or pants girl.