Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Dresses vs Skirts

Silver Member
    I was running an errand today in my usual fem shorts top etc. For some reason I thought about back when I was young and wore skirts most of the time. I liked straight skirts, but had some A line, and pencil skirts also. Back in the can can days was very awesome. I also had a lot of dresses so I wore what ever was appropriate.

Since I only dress sparingly I tend to try the most feminine things I can think of. Also, my wardrobe has to be quite minimalistic so I tend to gravitate towards dresses. One dress, one outfit ready to go. A skirt needs more to go along with it and unfortunately I don't have it. If I had the option of expanding I would definitely get some pencil skirts and mini-skirts. Those are super cute too.

I prefer skirts due to the versatility in putting together different outfits, as Jennifer and others have previously cited. It's also easier to get the right fit and drape below the waist with a skirt over dresses. I have discovered over the years that certain styles, and the weight of material of some dresses work for me, but I'm less confident in wearing them out in public.

That shared, I do have too many dresses hanging in my closet, as there is just something about a dress, which I'm sure most here can relate. I just rarely find the occasion to wear one. Fortunately, my wife borrows liberally from my side of the closet, so they get to see the light of day. Just yesterday, in getting ready to go to our local art fair, she steps out in my khaki sheath dress. I was only too happy to zip her up, and she looks a heck of a lot better in it than I do! Kim

I love my dresses the most. When I window shop (online or catalogs) I zero in on the dresses. Not that I don't like skirts, mind you. in fact, I'll post my new skirt and tops in the pictures section anon.
    Putting the y (chromosome) in girly!

Banned Read only
    My wife tells me I look great in a skirt, but horrible in a dress. She's right, I believe it's because I'm built like a man, not a woman. Granted, I don't use forms or pads or anything, I'm just a guy in a dress or a skirt (or tonight leggings).

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    I'm tall for a woman (5'9) and my torso is a bit longer for most standard length dresses in my size, which results in poor fit. I don't care if a dress that is supposed to be knee length is two inches above the knee on me unless I find a brand that provides "tall" sizes. And I'm not inclined to hunt for the few brands that provide this.
    I only wear dresses year round, in winter will wear leggings under if cold or windy.

I am 5-11, and when younger I was the too tall to fit. Sleeves too short, pants too shorts. So I usually wore dresses, and when younger did wear the hem short.

Now as a fat woman I wear only plus sizes. Anywhere from a sz 20-24, my bust 46D is the determinate factor, depending on fabric and cut. Most all of them are around knee length on me. When I shop quite a few of the SAs are as large and as tall or taller than me. Don't know how slim you are but they have sizes down to 10/12.

I've always been a dress girl.

While I prefer dresses, I seem to have more skirts and tops. I really like dresses that have the zipper up the back. It took me a while to master the hanger trick to zip that.

If only dreams came true. susancheerleader's Avatar
    I have many skirts.
    But I recently got a nice dress. I wear that more then a skirt now. I had other dresses but I guess they just weren't my style when I bought them (online) so I hardly wore them.
    Btw. I ordered TWO new dresses today to pick up.

Its rare for me to be able to wear a skirt much less a dress. Due to my wifes view on crossdressing i dont even wear panties around the house. That does'nt mean though that i dont have any! I have several skirts and blouses as well as a few shirts. The only time i wear them is when my wife is gone for a week to visit our oldest son in New Jersey and thats about once every year. I have no dresses as i prefer skirts. Easier to take on and off if need be and i like the way they feel and look on me, especially with wearing pantyhose, heels and a nice blouse.

I love dresses. They're so feminine. I like skirts too and it's great that you can mix and match with tops. But for every skirt I own, I have nine dresses. I have four skirts so you can see where my preference lies!

I think I might have got a carried away over the last few months and, oh dear, I've just ordered two more dresses......
    A girl can never have too many dresses

Banned Read only
    "carried away"might be putting it lightly

I think there is a little known codicile in the CD handbook that says if you own more than 15 dresses, you must get out with the normals...

Quote Originally Posted by Jenniferathome View Post
    "I think there is a little known codicile in the CD handbook that says if you own more than 15 dresses, you must get out with the normals...

I think I am in trouble lol

Quote Originally Posted by Georgette_USA View Post
    Now as a fat woman I wear only plus sizes. Anywhere from a sz 20-24, my bust 46D is the determinate factor, depending on fabric and cut.
    Yes, I agree that what I shared does not apply to plus sizes. My mother was a plus size too.
    Reine

I prefer a skirt and a top, because I have wide shoulders and dresses with sleeves don't fit well. I do have a few dresses with open shoulders.

I really prefer dresses to skirts (much more comfortable around the waist) What I really love are sweater dresses the way they hug the body and give you that great silhouette and they stretch in all the right places.

GG/SO of a CD
    As a curvy body type I prefer dresses. I only wear hugh wasted skirts due to my hourglass type. So I like items that cinch the waste. Easier to do that with dresses and belts!
    ~Greenie

Supportive wife to a wonderful man who just so happens to like to be fabulous some times.

Banned Read only
    I really like wearing short skirts (skater, circle, flounce, and tight fitting minis) with black or brown opaque tights with almost knee high boots or ankle high boots. I wear snug fitting long sleeved tops (sexy turtle necks made out of light weight material with some stretch to them, scoop necks and V necks. When wearing scoop necks or V necks I'll wear a circular necklace and when I'm wearing a sexy form fitting turtle neck I'll wear a long necklace. My belt, which I'll wear up high with the top of a skirt will be a wide elastic one usually embellished in front with faux leather and the faux leather and buckle with diamonds accenting both. It's a really sexy look especially if you know how to throw the outfits together with class. And you don't overdue the makeup which I see as a common mistake among a lot of cross dressers. I want to look like a sexy but classy girl instead of a hooker or a guy in drag. The last two mentioned are simply not my style. I really love no one knowing that I'm a guy and that's one of my most exciting aspects of cross dressing.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

I'm with you, April. I prefer skirts to dresses. They just fit better and you put mix and match so many skirts with so many tops. I like my skirts short worn with black or brown opaque tights with boots or booties. It's a really sexy look. Your photo is like I put my makeup on. Not over done and you like me look just like a girl when dressed. I've learned over the years how to tastefully put on makeup. I suggest anyone getting into cross dressing to watch videos on how to properly apply makeup. Us good products and always use really good brushes. I softens all the makeup lines in the use of eye make up. Don't you agree?

I like dresses but I have way more skirts and tops than dresses. But a dress is really great for a formal function or a nice dinner out.
    Part Time Girl

Prefer dresses here...just feel so pretty in them....also seem to be easier to hide the waistline....

Silver Member
    Quite a complicated issue, really. I love my dresses, but it's hard to find dresses that work right with my particular shape. I have size 16 hips and size 22 shoulders, so I have much better luck finding separate pieces and then mix and match to put together an outfit. There are sometimes so many combinations it takes a while to settle on an outfit, but that's part of the fun. Throw on a dress, and boom, you're done, just find the right shoes. There's a lot to be said for that.

I like either side of this debate. The tie breaker for me is that my wife has told me she like my skirt outfits more than my dresses. Considering how hard it was to win her acceptance, I'm happy to honor her opinion and slip into a skirt. Well, most of the time!

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenniferathome View Post
    "carried away"might be putting it lightly

I think there is a little known codicile in the CD handbook that says if you own more than 15 dresses, you must get out with the normals...
    Oh dear, I have about 30

An Easy one for me this, I love dresses but prefer skirts. TBH I feel very feminine in either skirts or dresses. Personal preference skirt-wise are long ankle-length skirts. Always loved them. Still do now.

True story, bought a dress one day at a Goodwill that had a very solid zipper in the back. One of the best that I've ever seen. This dress was tight but I could get into it. Came to mid-thigh. Went on a business trip, made the drive dressed. Black pantyhose, red dress, and red pumps. I drove at night and enjoyed the drive very much. I stopped at a little side road to get back in drab, that's when I realized that I did not bring my metal coat hanger. I could not get that zipper down for anything. I actually wound up putting on a shirt and sweater over it. Then tucking the dress into jeans to check into the hotel. But I love dresses.

I like and have both depends on my mood both are cool to wear in summer heat but put on pantyhose and they are warm in the winter
    hugs
    Ronda