Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you try to feminize your voice when interacting en femme?

Absolutely! As Ceera I virtually never use the same voice in public that I use as my male identity. I do it well enough that a lot of strangers have talked to me extensively and not realized I wasn't born a girl.

Within minutes of putting on my makeup and wig, my voice shifts up about half an octave to an octave higher, and becomes softer and more feminine. The way I phrase things and the tempo and modulation of my voice is also carefully different in female mode, mimicking the speech patterns of women I know well. I don't even have to think about it any more. It tends to stick that way for half an hour or more after I dress down again to male mode, too.

I spent three months watching you-tube videos and studying audio and video course materials on how to feminize a male voice, before I ever tried to go out en-femme at all. To me, having a feminine voice is as much a part of my presentation as my wigs or my breast forms. I've been asked when out en-femme to allow my friends who know I'm transgender to hear my 'guy voice', and it's actually getting difficult for me to do it any more. When I do, they can hardly believe that voice came out of me. As a male, I sing base to tenor. But Ceera's voice is a definite soprano.

I realized that a lot of MtF drag performers and CD's don't bother to change their voices. And that's fine, if that is how they want to present to the world. But to me, speaking in a male voice while trying to appear feminine is as jarring a disruption as a Shakespearean actor performing in Hamlet or some other period play stopping in mid-performance and answering his cell phone, in a New York accent! My goal when I go out is to be the woman that I feel is a part of me, and to be accepted as that woman, to the extent that I can manage it. I can't do that if I speak, and people are looking around to see where the burly football player is hiding, behind that pretty girl.

For some of us, Elizabeth, being transgendered means we really try to sound as female as we can. Success is another matter, it's different for every one of us. Speaking for me, yes I try to speak as female as possible when out as Heidi. I got lucky as my natural voice was already in a higher male range. I also learned that if I stay in the upper half of my voice range, I can present a very believable female voice. It really works over the phone, I got misgendered three times last week on the phone when I wasn't trying to present as Heidi.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is taken!

I tend to be very aware of how my voice sounds when presenting as a female, especially when talking on the phone to men that are interested in dating me that I am getting to know. Most times, it comes naturally, but other times, I have to work at it.

I tried and quit lol! Instead I speak softly at least...which does not do the trick
    No regrets except I should have got dressed & stepped out sooner.

Of course. As for many others, trying and succeeding are not entirely in sync. However, I have a pet theory that if you're presenting well your voice is ultimately not that important. If you watch enough youtube video you see all sorts of drag queens who, when they speak, sound female but, if you close your eyes, they sound like a dude. Hugs, Michelle

Thank you all so much for all of the input and responses. That's why I love this forum - the collective knowledge and support her is very much appreciated.

Thanks again,
    Beth

Banned Read only
    Beth,
    I don't change my voice at all, CDing isn't an act so I don't play at being a woman.
    I've been going out to meet other members of the TG community since January and not one of them changes their voice, even TSs . They go out to relax and enjoy their CDing with other like minded people and aren't interested in putting themselves in a stressful situation with trying to use a false voice, it's impossible to keep it up for hours, unless you choose to say nothing.

Reality Check
    I'm beginning to realize that some of us are going out as crossdressers and some are going out as "women" (attempting to appear as women). Now if you go out in public as a crossdresser, there's no need to try to change your voice. On the other hand, if you are trying to pass as a woman, a female voice is just as important as a wig (or natural long hair), boobs and butt.

Personally, I would be in the second group so I would do the feminine voice as best I can.

When dressed and presenting en femme I attempt to speak in a voice that sounds feminine. Like some other girls I shift from my chest voice to my head voice. My wife assures me this creates a passable female voice.

When I first started going out in public I was pathetic, I avoided speaking when at all possible and when I did I tried the "cartoonish high pitched girly voice" approach that makes me cringe when I think about it. I probably wasn't passing anyway so who am I trying to fool with the Minnie Mouse voice?

Eventually I just started talking normally and things got much better. Women told me that my voice was gender neutral and passable for a woman anyway. I was able to have meaningful conversations when out en femme in public and no longer was scared away by speaking. Therefore my outing were much more fulfilling.

Queen of Chinatown jennifer0918's Avatar
    Yes I try my best,but I practice days before also drinking coffee for me softens my voice.

Banned Read only
    Krisi,
    I don't know if you read my reply but as I said the TSs in my social group don't change their voice even after SRS, those on HRT don't try to put on a false voice even if the the hormones haven't affected a change. Many of us go out to satisfy an inner need, some are passable and some not so, we do not act women with a change of voice but we are accepted as TGs. The female partners and hotel staff probably wouldn't take us seriously if we put on a false voice and maybe acted camp with it, we are not performers in a stage act.

Reality Check
    Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    Krisi,
    I don't know if you read my reply but as I said the TSs in my social group don't change their voice even after SRS, those on HRT don't try to put on a false voice even if the the hormones haven't affected a change. Many of us go out to satisfy an inner need, some are passable and some not so, we do not act women with a change of voice but we are accepted as TGs. The female partners and hotel staff probably wouldn't take us seriously if we put on a false voice and maybe acted camp with it, we are not performers in a stage act.
    I understand your post but I don't understand how it relates to mine. I only posted my observation and how I fit into one of the groups (of crossdressers). There was nothing in my post about TS.

Banned Read only
    Krisi,
    I see that now from the last line of your reply but you appear to be slightly confused about what most of us want to achieve when we go out, I know you go out but don't look for too much interaction from the replies you've made. As a group we chat normally about most subjects and that's also with the GG partners and the hotel staff .

Reality Check
    I'm not confused at all. You see something from your perspective, I see it from mine.

I use my regular voice and soften it a bit also and it seems to work okay. I have head females who sound male and look so feminine that I had to look twice when at the nail shop last week. They were feminine and they talked quit a bit. It was nice to see and now I don't worry about my voice.
    Part Time Girl

I love it for those that pull it off perfectly, but they are usually deeply TS. Yet, I hate it when a fake voice comes out from someone that's well…. faking it.

I don't go out among the general public myself, but I believe in just being yourself. If you truly feel fem it will come out in your voice. But then, it might continue when your in male mode… yikes! That's what happens to me anyway.
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

A couple weeks ago I was at an LGBT club and was having a great time. One of the great things about it was they had karoke and several sisters sang with their natural voice, as they should since they have great voices! It was a great site and a great time!

Genny B
    Dani (Genny before Transition)
    All Girl!

Sometimes speaking softly is too soft - so those around you (waitstaff, sales people, etc) have to ask to have the question or comment repeated. Don't whisper unless the room is small and quiet. Don't whisper or speak softly into a restaurant drive-through speaker. This is just a suggestion - better to speak up rather than to have to repeat yourself.

I never need to because I only dress up for events like fun runs and charity events. I go out as a guy dressed as a cheerleader and I dress all the way with shaved legs, arms and armpits. I wear a nice budget wig and full makeup to the best of my ability but I never try to fool anyone and just about everyone loves it. I can even say that I'm a bit in demand and highly encouraged and applauded by some of the event organizers!

I keep it real - a guy dressed as a girl - and that works out really good for everyone.

Marcelo

Aspiring Member
    I raise the pitch of my voice very slightly, but not too much as I know it will sound false if I do. I speak more softly though.
    If you listen to female voices, they are not always higher pitched than male voices. The difference is in the timbre or tone of the voice.

Aspiring Member
    Don't have to diguise my voice on the phone. I am always being called mam on the phone

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth G View Post
    ..... when you interact with strangers do you try to feminize your voice?
    With strangers, yes, I do "try" to feminize my voice by raising it slightly, softening it slightly and try to reduce the masculine elements of it. If I'm with people who I know, like say at a TG support group then no I don't tend to do anything different than my normal voice, which thankfully is not very deep.
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

I always did when I used to go out. I was assured by female friends that I sounded female, but I had my doubts.
    My name is Carol.