Thread: Makeup lesson at MAC for first time

Makeup lesson at MAC for first time

Finally, I summoned the courage to book a private lesson at the MAC.
    I have a little experience watching youtube videos but have never had a formal lesson.

I have an appointment for this Friday evening. The store is inside a huge mall downtown Toronto.
    Have never dressed in public openly, I have gone out for walks on the street at night but nothing like a mall.

So currently, the plan is to go in guy mode or drab and get the makeup done, hopefully walk back home with a baseball cap and big glasses on to cover my face and change into my female attire for the evening to go out.

Is this too crazy?
    I am concerned how would the MA at MAC would feel applying makeup on a dude. I'm not a dude dude, and have more refined features, but still...

I considered going in female clothing for a bit, but the whole idea of going to a big mall on friday evening en femme and with no makeup seems unbearable at this stage..

What should I do?

Any reason that you couldn't take along the outfit you intend to wear later and change when you arrive for your appointment?
    Joan58

Our friend Michelle posted this a while back. I think she went dressed, clean shaven of course and I think she may have worn large sunglasses into the store. You can do it! http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...er!&highlight=
    WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum posts both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal action.

Crazy? Not at all in my opinion. It sounds like a solid plan. You may want to let them know ahead of time that you are a man but other than that I say go for it and enjoy!

I would recommend going in drab. It sounds like you're a little uneasy to begin with and if you're anything like me, going out half-done and no makeup would make me feel even more conspicuous.

Just make sure you're up-front with the people at the MAC counter so they don't think you're looking for "guy" makeup (there are guys who wear makeup without the intention of looking feminine, guyliner and all that).

Oh my god....M-A-C is a go to place....the artists love to work their magic on any palette.....enjoy and relax as they are professionals to a T.......just recommended M-A-C on another thread.....you will get a great foundation match and coloring to match......trouble is...you will become an addict to the products.......RELAX....all will be fun, educational and permanent client

Thanks all for your comments and encouragements.

Joan58! I have never dressed in public. So even if I dress before my appointment I still have to walk through the mall.

Elizabeth-G Happy you think it's a good plan. I told the lady on the phone that I was a guy and even gave them my guy name, she sounded a little judging.

Micki_Finn, I have been thinking of going in something more gender neutral like skinny jeans (maybe ladies) sneakers and a tight denim jacket with a woman's top.

Nicolesmyth, thank you so much for the link. Very inspiring. It would have been great if I was brave enough to change in the store. I will take my wig, just in case.

Thanks guys for supporting. It's really thrilling.
    Last edited by lacey.manin; 09-26-2016 at 09:39 PM.

So jealous! MAC is definitely on my Short List of things to do. Hope it goes well!

Just wear something androgynous. Girls do that all the time. I've done that twice at Merle Norman stores.
    Last edited by BarbraAnne; 09-27-2016 at 07:45 AM.
    At some point your life will flash before your eyes......MAKE SURE IT'S WORTH WATCHING !!

Lacy,
    I have the same concerns. I have an appointment at Sephora in a few weeks. I am glad it is not in a mall but it is in a very busy area of Boulder. I told them when I made the appointment it was first time with makeup and that I was an older guy. They said to bring wig and anything I wanted that would help them do there job. So what did I do? Scheduled an appointment to get my wig styled right before the makeup session. Now weeks prior I am getting the nervous jitters.

Randi
    hugs and more hugs

Rhandi

Quote Originally Posted by BarbraAnne View Post
    Just wear something androgynous. Girls do that all the time. I've done that twice at Merle Norman stores.
    Great suggestion BarbaraAnne!
    Any suggestions on the type of outfit?
    The only thing I can think of would be skinny jeans (possibly women's), sneakers, female long sleeve round neck top, and a fitting male black denim jacket. Would that be androgynous?

Also thinking about taking my wig with me to put on after makeup.
    Just can't figure out how to handle the whole M to F transformation?

My first trip to Sephora was at the biggest mall in the state. I went enfemme for two reasons. If I went dressed, I could leave dressed and by me showing up for the session made up, the makeup artist could point out what I was doing right and doing wrong before she cleaned my face for her lesson. And It is a lesson, Lacey! Pay close attention to what they are doing. Take photos (they won't mind), it will help you remember. Above all enjoy the experience of climbing in the big girl chair!
    Be yourself. Everyone else is taken!

What's worse? Walking in en femme without makeup (and then leaving completely en femme)? Or leaving as a dude wearing makeup???

I've done this before and Nicole hit the nail on the head. Get dressed. Wear big sunglasses and maybe put on a light coat of foundation. You only have to get from the car to the store. Trust me, NO ONE CARES!!!!! You'll be fine, especially in a big city like Toronto.
    Visit Kandi's Land (http://www.kandis-land.com/) daily! Nothing but positive and uplifting posts!
    Pictures and stories of every time out: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131254150@N06/.

You are me back in February 2016. Oh, the fear of walking through a mall. I dressed with no makeup. Parked at the closest entrance. Walked briskly to the entrance and straight for MAC. I expected stares, finger pointing and giggles. Trust me. Everyone in that mall is only concerned about going where they are going. Not one person looked in my direction.

The girl I had was amazing and professional. They have a motto - makeup for everyone. So they are guaranteed to serve you respectfully. Please enjoy the experience and go dressed ready for a fabulous evening!
    They/Them
    I love dressing as a woman.

lacey, when you say "...store is inside a huge mall downtown Toronto..." I presume that you are talking about the Eaton Centre. If so, then you have absolutely nothing to worry about (nor in any other GTA-area mall, for that matter).

I have shopped there en femme on numerous occasions over the years, and it has invariably been a pleasant experience for me. During those visits, I've been to a wide variety of women's clothing and shoe stores (Hudson's Bay Co. - Eaton's, Sears... while they were still located there - Laura, Nine West, H&M, Brown's, The Shoe Company, Reitman's...you name it. I've always gotten excellent service in these places, was invariably treated just like any other female customer, and was always made to feel welcome. I've even eaten in the food courts there, used the public women's washrooms as needed, and have dined in the (now defunct) Mr. Greenjeans restaurant on more than one occasion.

While I have never been inside the particular MAC store that is situated there, I have shopped in the Eaton Centre Sephora store instead. The last time I was there was during World Pride week back in 2014. I stopped in to pick up a couple of essentials, and while I was in the store I saw one young guy trying out different shades of foundation while being ably assisted by a female MUA, another one was discussing the merits of various brands of mascara and eye liner with another female SA, and I also saw an Asian male MUA who was sporting the most magnificent Day-glo orange/lime Mohawk working on another male customer - all of this alongside regular GG customers of various ages and ethnicities who were solely focused on their own needs. Nobody batted an eye and everyone acted as if all this was the most natural thing in the world.

Given all that and MAC's international reputation for being extremely TG-friendly, I expect that you will have a marvelous time there no matter how you are dressed.

So...how did everything go?

I chickened out. I was thinking what if I run into someone I know?
    Anyway, I called them and cancelled the appointment. It's sad that I couldn't fulfil this dream :-(

Don't give up, Lacey. If you feel the need for more discretion, pick a location further away, or early on a weekday. Once you get past the nerves, you will have a wonderful time. I promise.

I can understand your reservations and concerns Lacey, so I'll offer the following suggestion. Key word "Lesada" into your browser and go to her website. Very discrete, located a couple of hours away from you in London, flexible, and reasonably priced services.

Karen

Karen, I found Lesada's website and damn I wish she was closer. Her website has quite a few good articles and I found her radio interview about her business quite interesting.

In 2004 I joined the local Tri Chapter in Atlanta. All total I had 4 complete makeovers in the MAC store. I would arrive in guy mode, wearing lingerie underneath. Would change in a private area, have the makeover and finish getting dressed. Never had a problem. Walked in as a guy and walked out dressed as a woman and no one paid any undue attention. Learned a lot and not just the makeup. Walking out it seemed no one paid any attention to me. Years later I needed some foundation but MAC didn't have what I needed. Did some checking and end up in Sephora. Told the sales associate what I needed and why. Ended up have a makeover in Sephora. Just foundation no color. No one paid any attention. I left the foundation on and left. Had lunch in the food court and again no one paid any attention as far as I could tell. This was in Perimeter Mall in Atlanta, Ga.

I've followed a couple of the makeover, make-up lesson threads, and want to go and enjoy too. I am at a quandary whether it will be M-A-C, Sephora, or Ulta....they all seem to offer the same services, etc. So which one to choose or try all of them...or does it matter?

Lacey if London is too far you could try Take a walk on the Wildside it does transformations and has a fully stocked boutique. It's on Gerrard St E just east of Jarvis.
    "The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion that stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are dimmed."- Einstein