Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wigs are shameful to wear in public?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wigs are shameful to wear in public?

So i thought about wigs deeply and all sorts of hypothetical ideas and came across the thought

"You know wigs, are kind of cool, how come people don't just wear them casually like a shirt or a hat"

I then thought

"well maybe wearing a wig is considered shameful since you are hiding your REAL hair with fake hair and creating a false image of yourself"

I then thought

"What would happen if I wore a male wig in male mode...Surely People might notice, or maybe....they won't....Maybe people don't wear wigs because they just haven't thought about it, much like guys not thinking about panties being something they could wear"

I do know many older people wear wigs to hide baldness or grey/white hair, But what of people 15-45. Do they just blend in to society so much that i don't even realize they are wearing a wig? Or does it not exist because people place too much value on "Authenticity". It's apparent with breast and how guys want "real" breast. Society is obsessed with being "real" when in reality they are just pigeon holding themselves into a box afraid to experiment and create new edgy trends. Maybe girls enjoy the process of washing real hair, drying it, curling it and adding that final touch... I mean hypothetically every girl could cut their hair down to shoulder lenght and wear wigs/extentions and most guys would probably not even notice or care.

or maybe people are scientifically more attached to their real hair emotionally since it was their head that grew it. Girls wear fake nails all the time, yet fake hair, it's rare in the general public. Only at raves will you see girls rocking wigs, but in this case the wigs are just blue/pink/green party wigs.

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    My sons girlfriend has close cropped hair but has about 20 wigs and wears them whenever she goes out, every colour and style you can think of. I'd love to be able to borrow a few of them off her!

why would you wear a wig if you didn't have to? it has nothing to do with shame, mostly with need. If you are a man and want to look like a woman you probably need to wear a wig, If you are an old woman who has lost her hair or a cancer patient who feels uncomfortable being bald you probably need to wear a wig. if you are a healthy woman with a full head of hair why be somewhat uncomfortable in a wig when you can style your own hair most ways you wish.

Stand-up Comedian En Fem❤ Alice_2014_B's Avatar
    I say, "Naaaahh!"
    Melissa: "... and why are you dressed as a woman?"
    Coach McGuirk: "Because it's freeing."

-Home Movies
    (cartoon series)

Shoe size: 9 US women's.
    Dress size: M to L; 8-10.
    Height: 5' 6".

Actually I have long full head of hair. MY SO does not want me to wear a wig. But she wants me to cut my hair. LOL that's why my hair is long LOL because I can't wear a wig. Same with boobs, she does not want me to get forms. Standard trans stuff, yeah I know, but I am lucky I have B sized boobs so that works and I am all natural when female. But at Halloween I wear a wig for my outfit. I myself do not see anything wrong and I used to have a couple nice wigs that I purged. I will never purge again..
    Part Time Girl

@babbs The appeal for wigs is changing your hair color without chemicals or having long hair when you normally have shoulder lenght (course there are also extensions)

I guess you got a point, without a real need people aren't going to wear wigs like they are hats. I was wondering if a wig trend could start up.

@Dana44 i was really getting at men wearing male wigs in male mode and women wearing womens wigs in female mode for the sake of style.

I think you think too much about it. Just wear one and forget it. Not every CDer has the option not to if they want to look like a good looking woman.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Aspiring Member
    There must be a lot of fake women out there because a lot of them out there wear wigs and all of them grow boobs. LOL

I don't know if it's shameful or not. My wife has lost all her hair due to the chemo she is going through. She bought a really nice medium length blonde wig, wore it once and gave it to me. She said it was too hot. now she wears a scarf sometimes but usually just throws a baseball hat on and doesn't care if people are staring. I think she is beginning to rub off on me as this is the attitude I am starting to get about dressing up. I guess we will find out at the end of the month when we attend a Halloween party at a friends house as Max and Caroline from 2 broke girls and if anyone asks I will let them know, yes I did do my own makeup, yes my arms legs and chest are shaved thank you for noticing and yes these are my real nails not fake. It should be interesting as my son and girlfriend are going to be there and we have not told them what we are going as and no one at the party has ever seen me dressed as a woman before and no I will not be ashamed of wearing the beautiful blonde wig my wife gave me.

Banned Read only
    Redtea,
    No shame in wearing a wig !

As photographer for thirty years I noticed how many men do wear wigs, like all wigs some are awful and some you can't tell.

I must admit I hate having so little natural hair and what there is up top is turning silver , so I love wearing wigs .

Many women do wear false hair in extensions , I wouldn't like to say how many wear wigs, maybe we should ask the GGs here if they've worn them , for what reason and how long?

We also have the sad fact of cancer sufferers may have to resort to wearing them to maintain their femininity , I do think they are brave when they choose not to !

Many people (male and female) wear wigs. As Teresa said, some you can tell and some you can not. It is more a matter of choice than anything else. IMHO Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Platinum Member

My Wigs Are My Crowning Glory!

I hahe a collection of wigs in different styles, Colors & lengths a couple that I can get away with wearing in male mode......
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

tiptoeing thru the tulips ellbee's Avatar
    There's a certain small sub-group of GG's who wear 'em.

For example, you can find them as "beauty gurus" or whatever on YouTube.

Some of them do have thinner hair, even considering it appears they might be on the younger side. Eh, it can happen to the best of us.

Maybe do a search for something like "wig review" there?

They do have lots of fun with them, while also still treating it as serious business.

And it seems like some of their viewers/subscribers join in on the action, too.

You seem to project a lot. Guys should wear dresses, they'd like it if they tried it. Guys should think about wearing panties. Why don't women wear wigs as a common fashion accessory?

The answer is simple. Aside from the all-important medical reasons women might need to wear a wig, and for 90+% of those in these pages who do so, there is only a small percentage of women who choose to wear wigs regularly as the accessory they can be. Like many in these pages, a lot of joy can be had in changing up styles and colors so effortlessly.

But at the same time, I dare to say that most women choose not to go there because wigs are not all that practical. I have lost track of time as to how long it has been since I abandoned mine (6+ years???) and unless my forehead becomes a five-head or worse, I don't plan on ever going back. You are right on one point, there is nothing like washing & styling your own hair.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Ah-May-Lee
    I think weather plays a role in wig wearing. How many people do you see in the summer months wearing a wool cap, especially in the southern US. It is kinda hot wearing a wig in some parts of the country and time of year it is.
    In solitude where we are least alone. Byron

You can wear wigs to blend in better, OR to stand out.
    "well maybe wearing a wig is considered shameful since you are hiding your REAL hair with fake hair and creating a false image of yourself"- Are you Amish?

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by redtea View Post
    ...I then thought
    "well maybe wearing a wig is considered shameful since you are hiding your REAL hair with fake hair and creating a false image of yourself"...
    I'm not really sure what conclusion you offered in your post, but if one were to adhere to this comment, then coloring one's hair would be out. All cosmetic surgery would be out, all shaping undergarments would be out, finger nail polish would be out. A wig is an accessory. One that for cross dressers is typically a requirement. For women, it's typically a stye option and luckily, for men, almost unheard of any longer. Bald men can be bald.

Wigs aren't shameful. I think you're confusing perception with reality. 1) more women wear wigs than you realize. I see it a lot in my line of work. It's just that they're wearing good ones so you don't know they're wigs. Because thats kinda the point of wigs. 2) Unless you wear the same wig all the time, they're pretty obvious. If one day you have a short red bob, and the next you're a blonde with hair cadcading to your waist, I'm gonna know you wear wigs. I do know some GGs that just LOVE their wigs and totally own it and have wildly different hair every day, but that's really more the exception.
    Put it this way, especially if you live in a major metro, google wig shops and see how many there are, and think about how many people buying wigs it would take to keep all those shops in business.

Aspiring Member
    A lot of women in my area seem to wear wigs or hair extensions, so there's nothing shameful about it.

I have 5 wigs of different styles and colours. I wouldn't be able to go out without one.
    Wigs are great face-changers if you go for a colour different to your natural hair. However, I have found that some colours are definitely not flattering to me.

i Guess you guys are right, I simply can't tell how many people are actually wearing a wig. I was just thinking how there are things people COULD do but don't and my conclusion to it is, people are afraid of not being normal.

And yeah panties should become the norm for men, Maybe then the amount of violence in the world will go down since crossdressing has a relaxing effect to it.

I think wig are more widely accepted now a days. They are made better, and I think more young people are wearing them. Black women have all sorts of wigs, wives, and extensions. And they wear them beautifully. Also a lot of phobia for me as a CD is that I "know" men are not supposed to wear things that will make them look female, but that too is changing for the most part. No, I will not wear a femme wig to the grocery store for now. I will when I go to "safe" places that do give CD a second look.

There is no way I could go out fully dressed with makeup and not wear a wig as my hair is so thin on top and part the way down the back that I think I would look like I belong in a freak show, mind you when I was young I had a full head of hair down past my shoulders, a friends mother always wanted to touch it cause it loved so nice and I did look after it. I think motorcycle helmets help relieve me of most of it
    Sophie Mosley

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    redtea you let your mind runaway with odd trains of thought sometimes.
    First off some wigs are human hair so they are not fake hair as you call it.
    Why does a woman or a man for that matter not have the choice to alter their hair from time to time by wearing a wig or extensions.
    There are plenty of men wearing toupe's and hair pieces I can tell most just by looking but why should I care what they wear on their head?
    Seems you are locked in some kind of black and white line of thinking pattern.
    Think outside the box for once.
    Free your mind and your ass will follow.LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    redtea you let your mind runaway with odd trains of thought sometimes.
    First off some wigs are human hair so they are not fake hair as you call it.
    Why does a woman or a man for that matter not have the choice to alter their hair from time to time by wearing a wig or extensions.
    There are plenty of men wearing toupe's and hair pieces I can tell most just by looking but why should I care what they wear on their head?
    Seems you are locked in some kind of black and white line of thinking pattern.
    Think outside the box for once.
    Free your mind and your ass will follow.LOL
    I am thinking outside the box. It's because I think outside the box that I have started questioning why certain social conditioning thought patterns exist. I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing a MALE wig in public...unless it was Halloween. This thread was to figure out why I would feel insecure. Wigs are shameful? They shouldn't be but my mind thinks they are.

There's going to be a day when I realize, shame doesn't exist the way I think it does and by then I will be living a very boring life devoid of thrill since nothing would be thrilling to me.

My first "wig" was a towel, when i first dressed all the way up! I wonder all the time if Donald trump is wearing a hair piece on top! Did not men 240 years ago wear powdered wigs, and classical composers? I have known a few men who wore wigs, and finally discarded them, accepting their baldness. I think all of America's founders wore them. For you over the Atlantic, don't judges and barrister wear them yet? Of course for different reasons. I used to dress up like a cowboy, but really was not a true cowboy. Won first prize at two costume parties, once as the pope, and once as a scarecrow. Took some flak over the pope one.