Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: For those who haven't been out fully dressed in public yet cuz they're "scared" to...

Quote Originally Posted by GBJoker View Post
    I feel like I'm not understanding why it's so important to go out in public while dressed...
    GB, you are not the only one. While if some of the girls here enjoy it that's fine. I am happy where I am. To me its like asking for trouble. Then again I am looking at it from a non passable part timer viewpoint anyway.

tiptoeing thru the tulips ellbee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dana44 View Post
    But running around with yoga pants, yeah the girls know that they are theirs.
    I beg to differ!

It can be done easily, if one is mindful to have a good portion of their front/rear covered with a top. The bootcut-style is no problem -- it's the leggings (clinging to the ankle) that's a bit more "risky." But like I said, the gender lines are definitely blurred when it comes to athletic apparel -- and yes, that includes men's running tights, yoga pants/shorts, as well as various kinds of capri's.

In the second post, April mentioned that perhaps earrings got their start this way in modern society. I have no clue. But could something like this happen with some variety of yoga pants, to some degree, which are created & marketed on a large scale to men? I don't think that's too far of stretch, no pun intended. And wouldn't be surprised if I did see it someday. They're simple, comfy, convenient & versatile.

I've recently been very tempted to go out in ladies jeans and a pair of black ballet flats - do you think people are likely to notice the shoes or are people not really looking there?

I've worn flats out in guy-mode before (as well as some other kinda/sorta gender-neutral footwear from the women's side of things).

Really depends on how they look as a stand-alone, as well as with the rest of your outfit.

The tricky part is, if you want to go more-or-less "stealth," if one item is recognized with a good degree of certainty that they are indeed women's, then an observer might very well begin to scrutinize everything else you might be wearing, too.

Banned Read only
    Lisa-wb: I'm a TS. But GG's don't go around wearing nothing but skirts and dresses. To me, the logic just doesn't add up.

Banned Read only
    I feel like I'm not understanding why it's so important to go out in public while dressed...
    I understand where you're coming from. Maybe it's akin to a fisherman who is content to sit on the shore of a lake and fish for catfish, while another gets on the deep sea vessel and strikes out for that 20 foot Great White shark. Contentment?

I had the burning desire to stretch my legs when I was in my early thirties. It drove me crazy that I could not strut my stuff outside the home. I ended up taking some drives. Then a little stroll. A Halloween adventure to grocery stores and a doughnut shop. I let another three decades go by before I decided to go out again when my wife was away for a week. I went for drives and strolls. I enjoyed the cool air on my legs. I would love to be able to go to a convention, but, that's not in the foreseeable future. I am content to be an in-home dresser and get things done around my home attire a la June Cleaver. Each should stay within their comfort zone. And, also consider risk v reward.

Quote Originally Posted by laurababe View Post

Otherwise, is there a valid point that makes sense to?
    If any of this makes sense (as to what people wear) you're ahead of the curve
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Aspiring Member
    But GG's don't go around wearing nothing but skirts and dresses. To me, the logic just doesn't add up.
    What in the heck are you referring to? Who said anything about only going around wearing nothing but skirts and dresses? In fact, as I recall, my contribution to this thread was about wearing capri leggings. Yes I do want to be able to wear skirts and dresses too. I also want to be able to wear jeans (men's or women's depending on what I'm doing and the look I want) and just about any other article of clothing that I choose without having to be told I can't wear this or that because I'm a man and men only wear these particular things.

I'm sorry I can't explain this logically for you, but I'm not sure how much logic is really involved. If you're a TS, then you understand the overwhelming sense that your body doesn't match what you feel. That the image and behaviors you're expected to portray don't match who you really are. Are you saying that before you fully transitioned, it wasn't important for you to be able to present the image that you felt on the inside when you went out into the world? It's no different for me. The only difference is I'm not locked into one binary identity or the other. My identity flows between the two ends of the spectrum. So just as a TS like you (sorry IDK but I'm assuming you're a trans woman) needed to go out and present as a woman because its who you knew you were even if your body didn't match, I need to go out and present as whatever I'm feeling at that time because its who I know I am even if my body doesn't match.

Now the difference for me as a gender queer is that if I chose anything other than full female or full male presentation, it can actually be more difficult than presenting as one of the binaries. There's no blending when you're sporting a beard and mustache but wearing a pair of heels or strappy sandals with a lacy blouse and jeans.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post
    If any of this makes sense (as to what people wear) you're ahead of the curve
    I'm thinking along the lines of: "The Guide to Practical Crossdressing" by Dr. Laura Babe

Total best-seller.

For me, I only go out dressed if I have a purpose. Mainly going shopping for new clothes. I want to try on stuff at the store, and that's easier when I am dressed up. Or a makeup store like ULTA is more comfortable to go into dressed up. I'll go places dressed with a purpose.

But I agree with you, I would never go out dressed partially or just wearing a couple of women's clothing items but presenting male. That I am still trying to figure out. I won't judge or criticize anyone, but it is something I too do not understand. I feel like doing that is just inviting negative reactions from others.
    28 years old, 6' tall, 155 pounds
    Measurements: 33 bust-28 waist-37 hips
    Dress Size: 6, Bra Band Size: 34

Banned Read only
    Dolovewell: Well, I'm asking as an overall thing. I've noticed so many here placing so much emphasis on going out that first time, and I just wanted to know why. But oh wells.

GB,

Do you ever socialize?

Well, some of us like to do that en femme.

In my younger days, friends & I (mixed group) would go clubbing/bar-hopping (hetero, gay, drag clubs -- didn't matter), house parties, or just chilling out, or whatever.

Was lots of fun, and had all kinds of crazy times.

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dolovewell View Post
    I would never go out dressed partially or just wearing a couple of women's clothing items but presenting male. That I am still trying to figure out. I won't judge or criticize anyone, but it is something I too do not understand. I feel like doing that is just inviting negative reactions from others.
    Two different motivations here. For a Cross-Dresser, a person's who views dressing up as a woman as a fun hobby maybe even a bit of an obsession but still strictly focused mimicking a woman, I think it's about the thrill. I believe many cross dressers dream of being able to go out and about acting fully as a woman but are too scared or have other limitations that prevent them doing so. Going out in female clothing that is closer to unisex and may go undetected or at least not garner major reactions from others allows a CD the ability to get out in some form of female wear even if they're not fully transformed. For some, this becomes a first step that ultimately leads them to building up the courage to go out fully dressed up.

For a non-binary person such as myself, someone who has far deeper motivations for wearing "female" clothing as well as other feminine presentation, there is a different motivation. For me I choose to wear a myriad of feminine and masculine items because they allow me to fully express and dress consistent with how I feel inside. Dressing in capri leggings and a sports bra (the bra still concealed under my masculine sleeveless shirt) was my first opportunity to go out in the world expressing a part of me that I've been forced to keep bottled up for nearly 40 years. Ideally, what I want to be able to do is go out in just the leggings and bra (a very popular look on women) without having to put on a false face (shaving my facial hair, wearing a wig, etc.) and just go about my business. Sadly, society doesn't accept that as well so I do have to still bottle some things up (unless I get brave enough to say f it, I'm doing it anyway).

I realize the idea of Non-binary gender is tough for some to understand. It's not well socialized, the scientific data that backs it up is not typically discussed in mainstream media, and it destroys the long held notion of a two gender world. However, if you want to understand a little better what I hope to someday be able to present to the world as part of my gender fluid identity, do a google image search for "Non Binary Androgynous" and look at the many beautiful people you'll see who mix elements of both binary sexes in the way they present themselves.

Nowhere in any of this is the goal to elicit a negative response. For the CD, the goal is to "get away" with it without any negative response. For me and other NB's like me, the goal is to just be ourselves and if it elicits a bad reaction well hopefully we get through it safely and maybe it gives us a chance to educate someone and expand their minds a bit.

Silver Member Majella St Gerard's Avatar
    Everyone is different, some are content to stay indoors for whatever reason. Me, I like to go out dressed the way I like. I'm not in the closet, I'm very open about my crossdressing. I go everywhere dressed now. I find people very accommodating, I've never been accosted and if I am I can handle myself. This didn't happen overnight, in 5 years I went from only underdressing to going to stores, bars etc fully crossdressed.
    Last edited by Majella St Gerard; 10-06-2016 at 11:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lisa-wb View Post

Nowhere in any of this is the goal to elicit a negative response. For the CD, the goal is to "get away" with it without any negative response. For me and other NB's like me, the goal is to just be ourselves and if it elicits a bad reaction well hopefully we get through it safely and maybe it gives us a chance to educate someone and expand their minds a bit.
    Wow...so close and yet. How do YOU know CDs want to get away with it? Maybe they just want to go out. Maybe they don't like being told that they can't do it. I would bet many have te same reason YOU do
    I see we are drawing a new "camp" here of being more trans than thou.
    the goal is to just be ourselves
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    GB, I think Laura nailed it for me. I go out a lot dressed. Mostly at nite. But, not ever alone. Only with other T's or on my way to a T event. Hanging with other T's is too much fun and not stressful like being out alone.

I get very stressed out among Vanillas by myself because I can't pass at midnite on a moonless nite in a power outage. If I could pass just occasionally, I mite feel differently.
    Quote Originally Posted by laurababe View Post
    GB,

Do you ever socialize?

Well, some of us like to do that en femme.

In my younger days, friends & I (mixed group) would go clubbing/bar-hopping (hetero, gay, drag clubs -- didn't matter), house parties, or just chilling out, or whatever.

Was lots of fun, and had all kinds of crazy times.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Everything we do, everything we want, all what we do as cd's depends on each one person, desires, needs, expectations, liking. Some likes stay home, some wanna go out. Some wanna present self as convincing female, some go as "guy in dress". Do what you like.
    But we should go back to topic. Like to hear more tips for those who wants step to scary place called "The Outside"
    "Do not care what others think, do what you must" - Javik, ME3

Silver Member Majella St Gerard's Avatar
    Just do it, nobody cares what you're wearing.

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    "Just do it, nobody cares what you're wearing."

I like that one. I've been out passable many times but, there's a kinda thrill element to be out a little outrageous sometimes. I enjoy being out and about a little on the 'curvy (buxom) side' more than any other look. I generally avoid direct interaction with anyone and just sort of mingle around in the same public space taking pictures and videos. I've even taken care of small noninteractive errands (gas the car, letters to post office, etc...) usually early in the morning, in full pink sissy, curvy business woman and buxom tart outfits. Seriously, no one notices or cares.

Oh, and I'm dying to use the Halloween excuse to go out as a Sexy Maid, School Girl, Cheerleader, Nurse, Dominatrix, etc.......

2300p.JPG
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post
    Wow...so close and yet. How do YOU know CDs want to get away with it? Maybe they just want to go out. Maybe they don't like being told that they can't do it. I would bet many have te same reason YOU do
    Sorry, you're right. I was trying to summarize my previous points (where I tried to be clear I was only speculating and not the expert on CD motivations) and it came out poorly. Thank you for calling me on that. I agree with you, I think we're all just trying to be ourselves and not be bottled up by what is socially acceptable.

The last thing I want is to get into this idea of more Trans* than you or not Trans enough. That's the ugly underbelly of the Trans community is all that clique-y judgmental crap. I don't want to, or be seen as, falling into that.
    Last edited by AlyssaJ; 10-07-2016 at 08:12 AM.

My brave venture outs have been sort of along the lines that you suggest. I don't do it in my neighborhood but I will drive somewhere then go for a walk. I get dressed in spandex tights, men's shorts, t-shirt, socks, and shoes. Another thing that I like to do, is when on a long drive, I will wear tights under my slacks, and change into some classic pumps. I try to challenge myself to wear them the whole drive. If I stop for gas, I will pull to the farthest pump. I've stopped at rest areas that were empty and walked to the bathroom wearing them.

I am planning on going out tomorrow night. It is a Club that doesn't care what you are wearing, but I will be walking there. I will have on a blouse that is very comfy.my gg friend could not tell. I have a pair of my man short, but will be wearing panty hose. They just make my legs look tan, they are white now😎. And have a pair of men's nice shoes. Of course I will also wear my bra that is my natural size. It's is funny, with the bra on in "guy" mode. I feel that it makes me have a better looking chest. So thinking about it I will only have on my shorts and shoes that are "guy" stuff.😊

Go for it.
    For me the sheer audacity of it (crossdressing) is one of the best parts of the adventure.
    I've done the equivalent of skydiving on my first parachute jump on the very first time I ventured into The World, and it was thrilling and madness. For the few who gawk, I've become so brazen that I enjoy looking them in the eye with a smile. "Yes, it's ME, in a dress. What about it? You wished you looked this good."

Audacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley090 View Post
    Like to hear more tips for those who wants step to scary place called "The Outside"
    Keeping with my original "partially-dressed in guy-mode so you gradually become accustomed to wearing women's stuff out in public" thing...

Today I received some brown booties that I had ordered online. Very cute, nice quality, great deal. Plus they're comfy & fit perfectly. I'm actually going to be ordering a 2nd pair in another color, I love 'em so much!

Now, I knew they'd be like this before I bought them, but bootcut jeans/pants hide all the "girly" stuff, like the buckle & strap detailing -- even while walking.

The toe box, while still with a feminine-enough taper, is also somewhat rounded so that it doesn't scream "women's shoes!" at a quick glance.

The heels? 1.5" -- thick & chunky. Heck, I've got guy-boots with a 1.25" heel! Yes, they're women's heels, but there are some men's cowboy boots that have a similar-style heel to them, as well. But the best part? They're a softer rubber-type material the whole way through. Meaning, they don't "click" when walking on tiled floors! And no sound means no attention.

Bottom line? Yeah, I'm totally wearing these out in guy-mode with a bootcut hem. I did good with these, both for girl-mode & guy-mode. Very happy!

And this is the kind of stuff one needs to look for & keep in mind while shopping / deciding what to wear when doing something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda Jean View Post
    Soooo... What's wrong with carrying a purse? I've been going out in all manner of combinations, completely dressed, partially, just one thing like nail polish or heels... you name it I've done it. Purses, even in full girl mode always seemed awkward. a few years ago I was dating a girl who was way into purses. She had a bunch, and had a real eye for designer purses. Her enthusiasm for purses was contagious, and I caught it. But it didn't just effect me in girl mode. I started carrying a purse in guy mode and mixed mode. When I'm not at work, I typically carry a purse. Different purses for different outfits and different occasions. I used to struggle with what to carry in my purse. I'd fill it with needless things just so it wasn't empty. Not anymore! Once I got used to having that space always available it was no problem making it useful. I miss having it when I have to go without it. I suppose they've become a bit of a security blanket. Perhaps even a bit of a statement.
    I LOVE IT!! I am very similar. Forever I just wanted one, so I had a backpack (still do for work), then a messenger bag. Finally I got a purse, and I LOVE it! I only have two right now, but in time im sure i will have many more. I SO understand woman's love afair with purses!!