Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you ever just laugh at it all?

tiptoeing thru the tulips ellbee's Avatar

Do you ever just laugh at it all?

Like, literally laughing out loud?

Whether it's caused by reading something here that someone says or does, or you look in the mirror & realize the simple basic fact that you're wearing women's clothes (even if you still look at least halfway decent), or whatever it might be?

I've been finding myself doing that a lot more these days.

And I suppose that's a good thing!

No, I'm not putting down anyone or anything, including GG's. But on some level, stuff can be pretty funny sometimes when it comes to all this.

Having a sense of humor about it all can definitely help with the occasional not-so-great stuff.

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    Misjudged a lipstick application and put a big red smear right across my almost finished face. A few expletives but was quite funny.
    Here today, gone tomorrow....

Yep, because I don't take myself that seriously.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I'm not a serious person and see humor in most any situation including my own mess ups.
    I had on skinny jeans yesterday and in 50/50 mode so deff a guy mode.
    Two teen girls got a laugh out of my jeans but I acted like nothing was out of order.
    Finished my transaction at the counter and when I turned around to leave I gave the tall one a long look up and down with my hand on my hip.
    She kind of gave me a confused look and I said go a little lighter on the eyeliner next time honey and walked off.

Platinum Member
    Hi Tracii, HE WHO LAUGHS LAST LAUGHS BEST !!
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I hope her friend got a kick out of it anyway.
    The jeans were deff girls jeans and I didn't mind if they were having a giggle because I could care less.
    I couldn't let them think I didn't notice and how rude they were being so I gave a little obviously gay retort to let them know I looked at them too.
    When you call a girl on her make up choices or ability to apply it it tends to sting a little.

Of course!! I always laugh!! I'm having a great time but I can also see the humor in it!!!
    Please call me Lisa!

Aspiring Member
    Being able to laugh at yourself is a key to gaining acceptance IMHO. One of the problems I think the TS/TG community suffers with right now is that they're so laser focused on getting people to comply with pronoun usage, conversation rules, etc. that they end up vilifying people who are actually ultimately supportive of them. Sometimes you just have to laugh when people ask ignorant questions and just remember that it's just that, ignorance not malice.

However, I can't say that laughed much at the sight of myself in female clothes. Sadly I'm not there. I want so bad to be able to just resemble who I feel inside that when I fail to achieve that image (because of body shape, facial hair, other features) I become disappointed and sometimes frustrated. I ultimately don't see myself as a man in a dress so I guess some of that humor is lost on me.

Or sometimes yell and scream at myself because of all the time it takes to look good, and it just looks like hell. I take everything off, have a vodka and maybe try again in a couple of days.

I agree wih Lisa. When you can naturally find humour in your situation, then you are probably very accepting of it, and you. Hobbies and occupations can be comedy goldmines and lifestyles can too.

Too many people in the tvcdtg community react defensively when growing a spine and having a laugh might send a better message to ypur detractors.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    ..... when I turned around to leave I gave the tall one a long look up and down with my hand on my hip.
    She kind of gave me a confused look and I said go a little lighter on the eyeliner next time honey and walked off.
    Oh my God Tracii !
    THAT is the best come back ever. It's like the opposite of L'esprit de l'escalier... you know when you think of the best comeback on someone but like... five days later. That was awesome.
    I am not a woman nor am I a man... I am an enby. Hi, I am Wren.

At one time, perhaps, it seemed a little weird or humorous sometimes. But then my girl clothes just got to be my regular clothes, and now I hardly think about it.

Yes, all the time. I am definitely a funny person, unfortunately, that also means that I am funny when I don't want to be, regarding looking at myself in the mirror and/or thinking about myself is some way. I always liked the old Readers Digest cartoons and multiple joke sections, especially when it made me laugh at myself being me and, of course, being a normal human being!.

Aspiring Member
    Some times it alternates between wtf and laughing my butt off. Life is to short not to laugh at myself.
    Sara

Banned Read only
    Sorry, but no, never laughed at this whole thing.

Banned Read only
    Laura,
    I find it amusing when I'm driving, occasionally I have had passengers of other vehicles do a double take and one or two overtake me and slow down to take another look .

Shopping is often a laugh, that's why I enjoy it so much.

I'm so glad I do have a sense of humour, CDing can be a lot of fun once you get over the guilt feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by GBJoker View Post
    Sorry, but no, never laughed at this whole thing.
    Never once -- even while reading about a funny experience?

For example, someone here once shared a personal story (won't say who or what happened) which had me in tears of laughter. Not only regarding what had happened, but how the post was written. I'm not sure if that was the intention or not, but it was definitely the effect.

Oftentimes I still crack up even now when visualizing the whole thing.

Or perhaps personally, some things that happened to me years ago while out & about en femme. Perhaps not always funny at the time while going through it, but looking back at those experiences, I just have to laugh.

Heck, even just some of the little quirky everyday things in my life can be pretty funny.

Finally, I know not a whole lot about them is discussed here, but drag queens can be a total riot. Whether watching their YouTube videos, seeing them perform or compete in-person, and/or if you're lucky, socially interacting with some, can totally have your sides in stitches.

But the bottom line is, there's a lot of funny stuff out there, IMO. And I think it's probably a healthy necessity, with all this.

Quote Originally Posted by laurababe View Post
    Finally, I know not a whole lot about them is discussed here, but drag queens can be a total riot. Whether watching their YouTube videos, seeing them perform or compete in-person, and/or if you're lucky, socially interacting with some, can totally have your sides in stitches.
    Drag Queens/performers are not much different from the rest of us. Most maybe Gay. Some are TG/TS working towards the same goals as other TS. Of my FB friends I have at least 2 that perform regularly, 3 more that work as males but do part time Drag performances. Plus I chat with many more.

Yes some of their performances can be funny and a lot of tongue-in-cheek humour, because they also see the humour sometimes.

Not sure whether you are laughing at them or with them. It requires a lot of work creating their look and their clothes, expensive, with not a lot of payback in money.

I think we need to learn not to take everything so seriously.

This community is very laid back and I like it. I don't feel like I have to walk on eggshells and be extra careful not to offend anyone or hurt someone's feelings, or the modern day buzzword, "trigger" someone.

There are other communities I participate in or have partcipated in that are way too sensitive. Everything is so serious and anything and everything will be interpreted as hurtful or offensive. If you think anything and everything is hurtful and offensive, you are just looking for things to be offended over. I think some people go the perpetually offended route in order not to take responsibility for themselves, so they can always have something to blame for their shortcomings.

Lighten up.
    28 years old, 6' tall, 155 pounds
    Measurements: 33 bust-28 waist-37 hips
    Dress Size: 6, Bra Band Size: 34

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    For some folks, Laura, we have to either laff or cry!

In my case, I'm constantly amused at myself. That a 70 y/o man would spend so much time, effort, and energy playing DRESS UP!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

OMG.
    The Laugh is one of the best parts of it.
    I wonder if it's the dichotomy of it, or a certain "if they could only see me now", aspect; of course it makes you chuckle and..... HAPPY!
    It's a good thing.
    There resides within me a Woman, and she is powerful.
    She has been my Grace and Bearing on the stormiest seas.
    I could no more deny Her than I would my own soul.

Quote Originally Posted by Georgette_USA View Post
    Yes some of their performances can be funny and a lot of tongue-in-cheek humour, because they also see the humour sometimes.

Not sure whether you are laughing at them or with them.
    With them, of course!

I did laught here and there. Reading here some stories that are great and funny But i never laught at myself because that hiddious creature in mirror isn't funny at all. She should hang herself right now :/
    "Do not care what others think, do what you must" - Javik, ME3

At work I've let out a few laughs now and then.

I'd be working with guys doing construction and thinking to myself "I can't wait to go dress shopping after work"
    while some of the other guys would tell me they're going to watch the game and have some beers after work.
    "This is ME" I am not CRAZY, I'm just a GUY who likes dresses!
    Since allot of men dress up in woman's clothing that makes it a manly thing to do!
    Much more fun than fishing.
    I do construction like house building and I love CD-ing, what's the difference?

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dolovewell View Post
    I don't feel like I have to walk on eggshells and be extra careful not to offend anyone or hurt someone's feelings, or the modern day buzzword, "trigger" someone.
    As regards online communities, I agree entirely with you: I find the users of a few other communities (not worth naming here) hypersensitive towards their own feelings, while occasionally being insensitive towards others' - perhaps a self-serving sense of justice? It seems to go for both sides both supportive and adverse, and the views are quite highly polarised, especially in militant activist circles who demand their rights. While I'm not content to shuffle to the back of the bus, I happen to disagree with how the most extreme circles make their designated allies walk on eggshells, and their designated adversaries walk away for having offended them. I don't seem to see that on this site, and I'm more than grateful for that.

I find it a bit hard to laugh over the idea of me wearing women's clothes (hell, even presenting as a woman). It sometimes feels kind of empty; a sad kind of incongruous next to the body I inhabit. If I let myself be hurt over it any more than I have been, I'd be wasting my energy.

I also can't bring myself to laugh over the stereotypical cross-dressing, "man-in-a-dress" humour, especially that involving humiliation. I'm not even sure if I'm supposed to find it funny, because I don't at all. I admit that I was the subject of such humour many times over, my sole assurance being the presence of a few more willing participants who knew no better either. I think it's humour at the subject's expense; it's funny till it's you, as they say. But what little can I say when I willingly put myself in this position and accept full liability for it? I take it in my stride, but it's all too easy for me to sympathise with even fictional characters in the same situation.

That said I do laugh a great lot at my own mistakes - the first step towards accepting them. Most of the time, I end up bemused rather than amused. In all due fairness the majority of such incidents are the fault of my own habits: standing over the toilet, losing my gait, sitting in awkward positions. I will continue stumbling forward as I am.

One who laughs, lasts.