Thread: Dress Obsession. Do you get it?

Dress Obsession. Do you get it?

Long, long ago in a misspent youth far away I was at one of those Life Crossroads we all know and love. I was a young field scientist, living alone in a strange city, working hard, teaching. I was trying and succeeding at all the right things. People told me I was great. No doubt I was lonely from few friends in a new place and my long hours. But inside I was struggling AGAIN with youthful identity issues. I'd dabbled in dressing up, mom's makeup, etc. as a kid. Now, as a young professional in the world, I started underdressing and slowly added femme items to my personal look.
    One day I saw a green dress on the winter rack at a Dillards. Don't know why. The dress fascinated me. The green. The color. The cut. The length. I'd never bought a dress for myself, and the forethought never quite occurred to me to buy one. But I couldn't get that dress off my mind, and resolved when I returned from visiting The Folks during the holidays, I would buy that dress and begin living as a woman in my non-work hours.
    Over the holiday, magic happened. I met the woman who would be my beautiful and loving wife of almost 40 yrs now. It happened like a lightning strike; almost like an Intervention. Meant to be, and no regrets that Life helped me on THAT Life Choice.

My predilection towards women's clothing never resided, however. I never forgot that green dress; the one I almost chose over a life with the Wife.
    I saw that green dress again. Yesterday. At a Macy's store, I was shopping with the SO (who knows now and has helped me buy clothes). There it was, like an dream from the past, a ghost.
    I've been on a clothes spree so I didn't grab it off the rack on this shopping trip.
    I'm going back... I can't help it.

HOW MANY "SUFFER" , maybe gladly?, from dress obsession and how do you deal with it?
    There resides within me a Woman, and she is powerful.
    She has been my Grace and Bearing on the stormiest seas.
    I could no more deny Her than I would my own soul.

A very heartwarming story, but the same dress (or a very similar one)??? After 40 years, and now being sold by Macy's??? More of a dream, perhaps, or else wishful thinking?

Besides, wouldn't it have been out of style by this point?

The cut of the dress (both of them) was a basic Little Black Dress; simple cut, knee high. Simple. But in dark forest green. The similarity was stunning.
    It's going to look great...... ON ME.
    Thanks.

Stand-up Comedian En Fem❤ Alice_2014_B's Avatar
    I have about six dresses; but I only wear four of them.
    Melissa: "... and why are you dressed as a woman?"
    Coach McGuirk: "Because it's freeing."

-Home Movies
    (cartoon series)

Shoe size: 9 US women's.
    Dress size: M to L; 8-10.
    Height: 5' 6".

I think you should buy yourself that dress!

I've never personally had an obsession with any particular item of clothing. I do love dresses though, in fact I've treated myself to four new dresses in the past week!

Hi, Ilene. Buy the dress! You will be glad you did. Mine was a gray dress with a coral belt and trim. Saw it and loved it at first sight. Waited a little while and then bought it. It is so pretty and I am so glad I bought it. Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    What a wonderful life story. Actually, mine is similar. After a failed marriage and subsequent relationship, I bought a little house and started collecting a female wardrobe. Then I met my wife. After twenty years of closeted behaviour I disclosed to her. It wasn't easy or accepted but, there's no more hiding. And she is truly my soulmate.

Hmm? Dresses you say? I actually resisted a fifty percent off day at my favorite thrift store yesterday. Last time I only bought six dresses. I'm really starting to fill my walk-in closet. Can't get enough.
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

I have had many missed opportunities over dresses, I have tried them on, they have fitted but I have not bought them for many obscure reasons.

It is frustrating, if you love it just buy the dress.

I still remember most of my missed opportunities, it is painful to say the least. :-)
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I am more of a jeans & t-shirt & cardigan/blazer girl, so I don't own or wear many dresses. However, I do buy and wear them from time to time(as in my avatar pic).

When I want to buy a dress, I have the type of dress in mind with all the criteria, like color, sleeve length, style, neckline, affordability, and all of that. Then I start the process of trying to find a dress that meets all the criteria. It can be pretty difficult to find one that matches up. The green dress in my avatar took a while to find, as I wanted a sleeveless emerald green fit & flare dress with a modest neckline.

So that is my "obsession". Finding the needle in the haystack.
    28 years old, 6' tall, 155 pounds
    Measurements: 33 bust-28 waist-37 hips
    Dress Size: 6, Bra Band Size: 34

I like the tiny black dress.

Great story. Go get the dress !! I don't know if mine is a obsession or a missed fad. When I was in elementary school it was the "in" thing to tight fold and roll up your jeans to just above the ankle. I did this with my Levis and must boys did also. So a few years ago when women's Jean capris came out with a tight leg and rolled up it brought back so many memories. And at this present time I have about 9 pair in different colors in my gurl closet. My favorite pair is faded out with holes all on the front. I wear them with open toed booties. Xoxo

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    Often when out about I'll observe what women are wearing, mostly its a case of 'oh, that's nice' and not think much more of it. Every so often you do see something that stands out, it sticks in your mind and you'd dearly love to recreate that image for youself. I have a number of outfits based on such observations (obviously it has to be appropriate for my age). As for dress obsession, a recent count revealed I have 33 though a number will probably never get worn again (might give them to a charity shop).
    Here today, gone tomorrow....

UPDATE! Unbelievable.
    Went out shopping with the SO today; the normal rounds of dept stores. We went to the store that offered my obsession dress.
    I only mentioned it once, on another outing long ago, how much I liked the dress. I'm recently 'out' with an SO that understands but is not entirely "cool" about it. I've made 3 or 4 passes on that dress, every time went visited that establishment. She must have seen me without saying a word.

The dress was still on the rack. The SO, without prompting, said "It must have your name on it. It's still here." And she put it in the shopping cart.
    Tonight, I think I'll dress for dinner. Dressing in the house is OK.
    Last edited by IleneD; 10-12-2016 at 04:30 AM.

Dressing in the house is usually ok for me as well Ilene. I enjoyed reading your post, and I'm glad you got the dress.

Have I ever had a dress call to me, not buy it, then regret not buying it? Yes...I've done that.

Karen

Aspiring Member
    why do I think you should have her put it on ?

Aspiring Member
    IleneD -

wonderful story. You've got the dress. You've got a supportive SO. You are one lucky Dude .

Ineke

Wonderful wife

Dress obsession, not so much; but when I find something that I like that fits, I tend to buy many of whatever it is, because I know I might not find it ever again. That's the problem with out-sized people; very limited wardrobes. I can't just walk into a department store and find a whole lot of options; usually, I don't even find any. NONE. With 36" inseam pants, 37" sleeves, a 19" collar, size 16 shoes (and why are socks always so small? Sock sizes are always way too small, even the XXXXL ones! I have to wear tube socks or my toes get curled up by the elastic in the socks).

So when I discovered a cheerleader uniform brand that fit, I bought several uniforms.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Aspiring Member
    Many years ago my girlfriend of the time had a lovely green tartan (plaid) dress by Berkertex. It was an excellent cut, and had a side zip so that you could pull it on over your head and then when zipped up, it would fit the contours of the waist. I loved that dress but I didn't want to wear hers - I didn't think that would be fair. However, I did briefly try it on for size so that I could see whether it fit, or if I'd need the next size up. It fit perfectly and felt great on, so now I was on a mission. I went to every Berkertex store and every department store that also stocked Berkertex looking for the same dress in the same size.
    I found only one store with the same dress and they were all the wrong size. I asked the SA if they had any more only to find that the dress was now "end of line" and wouldn't be getting any more stock.
    I still hunt on places like eBay to see if anyone is clearing out, in the (probably vain) hope that I might find one.

Here's the really strange thing though. Whenever I think about it, it obviously reminds me of my ex girlfriend, which in turn brings back the scent of Coco by Chanel, which was her favourite perfume.
    If I ever find that dress I bet I'll end up buying some Coco to wear with it.

Silver Member
    Over the years I've had a few dresses that I liked better than the others. My wife is the same. I think it is very natural for people to have favorites. I have a couple dresses that I regret not buying, but that is typical and I've had that conversation with the women I shop with.

Years ago I saw Alison Krause singing on the Leno show. She was wearing this beautiful green silk dress that to this day I am still trying to find.

Karen Sue

Aspiring Member
    belive it or not have you tried searching the tv show web sight ...it might be listed in the credits !