Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Those are the brakes

Those are the brakes

I spent some time shopping for things to wear, trying on outfits, packing, planning - going to Saugatuck for TG weekend! Part of my plan was to partially underdress then change, put on makeup on the way there (about a 40 mile trip). I stopped in a inconspicuous spot (a couple of miles from home) to start applying makeup etc., and when I took off it turned out the brakes on my vehicle had gone out almost entirely.

I had no choice but to drive slowly back home. I was so looking forward to spending some time with some of my CD friends and acquaintences.

The good part is I didn't get on the highway or drive much further away from home before the brake fluid leaked out.
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    Had that happen to me, not when dressed fortunately. Certainly makes for an interesting drive home!
    Here today, gone tomorrow....

I know you are disappointed, but you are unhurt physically and that is what is important! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

OMG. Tales from the Closet ! (LOL). Stories of near disasters "while dressed".

I locked myself out of my bed and breakfast once while I was outside the building in heels and my favorite long blue dress. The establishment had no personnel on the grounds after 8pm. (My exterior door key was left inside the B&B, my own fault). It was night. I was sequestered in a small courtyard in the rear of the building and out of the general public view.
    Not many people happened to be staying at this particular place that evening. I couldn't get anyone inside answer the door. (It was a big building). I phoned the after-hours emergency number; KNOWING that any rescue help would find me dressed up. I was somewhat mortified; more MAD than anything. I stood outside for almost 2 hours before I broke a small window on the rear door and entered. (I paid for the window).
    I laugh out loud to myself about it now. The guy who owns the B&B was a gentleman and a great chap about it all. (He saw the surveillance video). I shall stay there again.
    There resides within me a Woman, and she is powerful.
    She has been my Grace and Bearing on the stormiest seas.
    I could no more deny Her than I would my own soul.

Oh my Ilene! I think I got off easy. I'm glad I didn't dress fully before discovering I had no brakes! I was parked along side of a street that isn't used too much, but I had thoughts that a cop may stop by to see why I was parked there. I did a little changing back while I was parked there - removing breast forms etc.
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I always have a spare bottle of brake fluid in my safety repair kit that stays in my SUV.

I went to buy groceries this morning, stopped to get gas and locked myself out of my car. My wife is horseback riding and won't be home until mid afternoon. I almost dressed up to go shopping and decided I wouldn't. I was wearing panties and pantyhose under my jeans but other than that normal. I am so glad because I locked my phone and keys both in the car so I had to go in and get the attendant to call a locksmith for me, it would have been very embarrassing if I had been dressed.

Banned Read only
    Ressie,
    You can't cover every eventuality , I certainly wouldn't think of carrying brake fluid. I'm more concerned being in that situation and not having some drab clothes, it's mainly the thought of my wife picking me up dressed .

At least you found out in a safe way and not at speed, so I'm glad you got home safely but sorry that you didn't have the evening you planned.

I've just remembered about a time when I was driving to Gatwick Airport which is a good two hour drive on the other side of London, I was taking my wife and her sister and husband to fly out to Houston. On the way down the steering became heavier and heavier, I'd lost all the fluid from my power steering, I managed to get into the airport parking but my arms were aching after hauling the car all that way. Then I had the problem after the flight back !

Ressie, I was certain you had a misspelling in your title and actually meant breaks. Of course, upon reading, I found your spelling skills are perfect and you really did mean car brakes. All the stories that followed just serve to remind me to maybe have that bag of drab clothes nearby, if possible. It also serves to show as Teresa just stated, you just can't cover all situations. So I guess there is always an element of risk and excitement involved. Maybe a bit of the fun for some.

Addicted To Lipstick donnatracey's Avatar
    Brake fluid? That would be the last thing I would think of carrying in my vehicle. But then again, I was never a boy scout...or girl scout....

So glad you got home OK though....

Goodness I must be strange but I do have brake fluid in my truck. Had to add it a few times so I carry it. Especially on a trip.
    Part Time Girl

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Kimberly get one of those magnetic hide -a-keys and stick it under the car out of the way and that will never happen to you.

I added brake fluid when I got home. Didn't do much good, it leaked out after pumping the brakes a few times. Maybe I should have transformed, raised the hood and waited for a gentleman to come by and fix my car?

Carry brake fluid with you? Ladies please be careful with open brake fluid. since it is a hydroscopic fluid (absorbs water) once the bottle has been opened it will absorb water from the air, the general rule is use it once and get rid of it if only used occasionally. Water in your brake lines will cause spongy brakes, and destroy the seal in the calipers and master cylinder.

Platinum Member
    Hi Andreanna, Not only that but brake fluid will ruin your nail polish......
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

That could have been fatal to you and others, I always keep some BF and oil, and power steering fluid in my tow old vehicles. I had a brakeline rupture once, lost all brakes. Was fortunate no crash.

Aspiring Member
    most shops around here went from the old steel brake lines to epoxy coated break lines and now they use SS break lines as the pre treatment on freezing road ways is now urea and salt brine....eats the hell out of iron based metals . break line power steering and gas lines on old er cars and trucks . I'm sure who ever fixes one line will look the others over but make suer they do . fluid film is a green oil coating they can have spraye don the underside (lanolin based) of the cars .

I carry brake fluid too. But if you are out of brake fluid and have no brakes, adding brake fluid is just going to leak back out. And the first time you hit the brakes it squirts out under high pressure.

I'm getting so much good advice on brake fluid and nail polish. thanks everyone.

Actually, once you've lost fluid to the point of the brakes not working, you must bleed the brakes as you add fluid, otherwise they will at best be very spongy and probably won't work at all. Air is what makes the brakes spongy, not water, although it may corrode steel lines. An emergency technique is to bleed the wheel cylinder closest to the main cylinder; that should get most of the air out. it requires a wrench that fits the wheel cylinder nipple and a plastic tube along with a container to hold the expressed fluid. the best way is to have 2 people, one to press the brake pedal down, the second to close the nipple while the brake is floored, then repeat, but can be done by one person with a brake bleeder hose and a container primed with fluid.
    I am very old school and always carry tools and emergency supplies with me; one never knows when you might need them. Of course another option is a wad of cash and a cell phone if you can afford it.
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)

Banned Read only
    One of my brake lines broke, but, I was not en femme. However, I was going down a hill. Fortunately, I was able to make a right onto a level street and finally stop with the hand brake. Yikes! Just remember to carry a man-bag change of clothing if you're out en femme.

tiptoeing thru the tulips ellbee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ressie View Post
    Maybe I should have transformed, raised the hood and waited for a gentleman to come by and fix my car?
    Flashing a little leg certainly wouldn't hurt, either.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUE ORCHID View Post
    Hi Andreanna, Not only that but brake fluid will ruin your nail polish......

An emergency technique is to bleed the wheel cylinder closest to the main cylinder; that should get most of the air out. it requires a wrench that fits the wheel cylinder nipple and a plastic tube along with a container to hold the expressed fluid. the best way is to have 2 people, one to press the brake pedal down, the second to close the nipple while the brake is floored, then repeat, but can be done by one person with a brake bleeder hose and a container primed with fluid.
    Can I do this wearing thi tops, heels and a short skirt and wig?

Ilene, almost got away with it if not for the security tape. Great that he was a swell guy.

Reality Check
    Haven't all vehicles been built with dual brake systems for the past twenty or thirty years? One for two wheels and another for the other two?

As somebody mentioned, any fluid you add will just leak out again unless you find and fix the leak.

Given the choice of driving with no brakes or calling for a tow, the tow wins out every time. Towing insurance isn't that expensive.

If my vehicle was in such shape that I felt compelled to carry spare parts, fluids and tools around with me, I would be shopping for a new one.