Thread: Nail color question

Nail color question

Does anyone know why gg's (or anyone, for that matter) paint their ring finger nail a different color?
    Is there a significance I'm not aware of?

Be more specific please, do you mean to ask 'why do they paint "each of their" finger nail(s) a different color'?
    I don't specifically know, it could just be for fun, for style, for a reason, for a LGBT equality support thing, they ran out of nail polish after each single nail and had to switch. Significance is probably as repeatable as most peoples' tattoos. They like them, there does not need to be a reason (symbol, gesture, thought) for that cool looking tattoo.

Silver Member
    It's a fun fad. Nothing more. I asked.

I have seen this. Usually it is the index finger that is painted different. [although I have seen all different colors] I asked a girl once. Her replay was " I seen someone else do it and liked it. I think its just the latest fad.

There is one reason why some people, of both genders, will have one nail painted different from the rest. There was a story on the Internet a while ago about a guy who was humoring a little girl and letting her paint his nails. After she did the first one, he found out she had been a sexual abuse victim. He decided to keep one nail painted, to remember her. And also to remember the startling fact that one in ten girls suffers some sort of abuse in her life. Many have copied that, after reading that story. Others may have copied the trend, without knowing the origin or meaning.

However, for many GG's it is just a fashion thing. An 'accent nail', decorated differently than the others. The fingernail version of wearing a ring on that finger. Press on nail kits often include a few 'different' nails or nail charms to decorate just one or a few of the nails.

Ah! Thanks gals, that sheds some light for me.

tiptoeing thru the tulips ellbee's Avatar
    They do all kinds of crazy things with nails these days, including alternating colors & fades & what-not. There's no one correct way to do it. Just a way to express oneself & have some fun.
    And some of it is really, really impressive, with that nail art done by hand -- it's like, um, how do they do that??

When I got my pedi,the woman next to me got her nails painted red with a gold band on the big toes. Looked kind of neat. My 2 cents. Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

As others have stated, it's an accent nail, and it's simply a design that is in style.
    I usually have my ring fingers painted a contrasting or darker color than the rest.

About 3 to 4 manies ago. I had my ring finger painted with sparkles to it. The woman next to me did it and it looked interesting. Was not that dramatic with mine, as the base color was a dark purple to black.

Last 2 times decided to get acrylic on all. Hard for me to get my first two fingers to grow. They are all the same color now.

There are many combos now, some with interesting patterns.

Banned Spammer
    Candy coated raindrops

Candy rain

Popsicle toes

A fashion trend,to be different

My nail tech almost always does an "accent nail" on my ring fingers using either a different polish color combination, or more elaborate nail art, jewels, rhinestones, charms, whatever. It's cute and less time consuming, expensive and, yes, gaudy than doing a fancy design on all ten nails. Sometimes she does two accents, on both the ring and index fingers.

It's all for fun and has no significance except that it looks nice.

- Diane

Yeah, like was said above, it's called an accent nail. It's pretty popular right now. I like it on my toes more than my fingers, but that's just me.

I am personally not fond of accent nails where polish is concerned but hey, to each their own I suppose
    Last edited by mona lisa; 12-29-2016 at 09:31 PM.