Thread: What to buy next?

What to buy next?

As i said on my intro thread am now at a place in life where I can dress freely (I'm 30 next month and finally in my own apartment). The best bit of advice on there was to build up my wardrobe slowly because of how expensive it gets so I'm sticking to a couple of new items a month =/

Wardrobe currently contains 1 pink mini skirt, a pair of leggings, some cute powder yellow panties and a pair of 3.5" blue pumps....just enough to keep a girl entertained!

For next month purchase I'm trying to decide which way to go: some outrageously girly stuff, pieces to complete a full outfit or some subtle stuff that i can start wearing out....so as a bit of fun what do you girls think I should get next:

>some nice tops (make a full outfit)
    >some girls jeans and a pair of ballet flats (wear out)
    >a cheerleader or dance costume (embrace my femininity completely)

Hi, Katie! I would go with the tops on practicality, with the jeans and flats you still have no tops. Costumes are OK but not something I think you would wear out in public right away. Of course, I am not sure of your goals so I may be reading this all wrong. IMHO Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Welcome Katie. As I have discovered possibilities are endless. Do as little as you want or as much. I have recently expanded my wardrobe to have makeup, forms, a wig, a few dresses and several pair of 4" pointy toed pumps (black nude and pink which would probably look nice with your pink mini). Like you I am in the closet. I am lucky that my wife and I are close in size so I can borrow some of her tops, skirts and dresses from time to time during my alone time like now wearing animal print skirt, black zippered sweater, black pumps, nude stockings and garter. Good luck.

My husband has a huge, beautiful wardrobe purchased mostly at resale stores for a fraction of the retail store prices. It takes some searching but he is very happy buying name brand clothes for less than $10. He also found shoes in larger women's sizes that are barely and/or never worn. Sometimes it is as if someone purges their entire collection of high heel shoes. Happy shopping.

Though I agree with go slowly I would suggest a budget amount rather then a piece per month. IF you shop wisely you can get a bunch of stuff cheap. Costumes are fun but if your wanting to get out then I would go the route of getting the things you need for that.

There is always something at the top of my list - literally. I'm a list maker - shopping, materials needed for a project, schedule, menu, etc.
    Make a list of what you want/need. Sort the list by most-to-least important, essential, or pressing. Buy what's at the top, and everything else moves up.
    Making actual written lists is a habit of mine, but not really necesssry for my CDing items. Something always jumps out as my next gotta-have.

You may have already heard of this idea from someone else, but my go-to approach to almost everything I buy is that if I want it a week later (or any time period for that matter) I will probably buy it some other time. If I still can't get it out my head several days later, I'll make it a point to buy it as soon as I can in regards to some other things that might be of more pressing issue.

Seeing as I made several spur-of-the-moment purchases in the past (nice black minidress, only to later realize I would probably never wear it), the approach has saved me a lot of money lately, clothes notwithstanding. There's this thing called capsule wardrobe. Basically, you only need several items to build a nice array of outfits. Have a look at this link, the picture sums it all pretty nice. Funnily enough, I learned about the term browsing a men's fashion blog. Its origins aside, it too makes for a good suggestion I hope

But as others have said, take it slowly
    Last edited by Lucy23; 11-08-2016 at 07:25 PM. Reason: grammar

Hi Katie, I would go with some cute cut up Capri jeans a nice top and some booties. And of course a wig is foremost if you don't have one already. Xoxo

I agree that a nice top or perhaps a button up chiffon type blouse would be a good choice to go with your mini skirt. I find that I can stretch my budget a little more if I shop for clothes on ebay.

Platinum Member
    Hi Katie, A nice pair of black pumps are a main staple of any feminine closet......
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Some sort of knee-length dress in perhaps black or a very neutral color would be a consideration

I have two categories of clothing I go by. 1) Sexy clothes that I'll wear at home, 2) clothes that are appropriate for going out. The two categories coincide sometimes of course.

Thrift store clothing - I've bought a lot from thrift stores and a lot of what I bought was a waste of money, mosty due to wrong sizes.

Can you try stuff on? Usually, if you have the nerve.
    Is there a return policy? Goodwill has one, but that's the only one I've seen.
    Is the item anywhere near being in fashion? Think of Tom Wilkinson in the movie "Normal".

Regular stores - Sales racks have good deals on clothes with current styles and they're easy to return if your not happy. I recently bought a top at Burlington for $4. I stopped at Goodwill afterward and their tops were $5. Summer clothing is reduced at the end of summer. Winter clothes go on sale near the end of winter.

I can't tell you what to by next, but at age 30 you probably want more trendy clothing.
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Wow thanks gals!

Uber temptation to buy more shoes or an OTT costume but based on this advice going 4 a top and wig next - then maybe treat myself to some jeans for xmas

So so much to learn still....

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    Im going to go geeky on you LOL,,,

If you are looking to build a wardrobe, try to do it smart.

If you have in your warbrobe already 1 pink mini skirt, a pair of leggings, some cute powder yellow panties and a pair of 3.5" blue pumps.

Pick an item ( i say the shoes , but to be honest, id go with a more bland color like black, but if all your doing is dressing at home , use the blue ones. BUT you mentioned going out, which is where this info will help.

Start with the shoes, then build your wardrobe around them .
    Find skirts and bottoms that match the shoes
    Find tops that match the skirts and bottoms
    Find bottoms that MIX and match your tops
    Find tops that MIX match the bottoms again LOL
    That way everything works together and you can mix and match everything and instead of having one outfit, you can create 3 or 4 out of the combos.

If you think before you buy and say " What do I have that matches this already" ...and you DO have things that match it, its probably a good fit for your wardrobe.

Nothing wrong with buying that floral top you love, but understand if you have nothing else that matches it you just opened up a new can of worms LOL, which is ok, just remember now you gotta find things to match it.

Same goes with shoes, if nothing matches them your in for a fun ride LOL.....

Buying like that is a smart way that way you dont wind up with a wardrobe of great looking clothes but nothing works together.

A wardrobe should mix and match and be interchangable.

Same goes with your handbags and accessories

One of the best places to shop is thrift stores in rich areas, I have pulled out quality stuff for cheap, like really cheap, its hard for me to shop retail these days unless I really REALLY love it, but all your basics are in the thrift shop.

Good luck and happy shopping xoxo
    Last edited by Adriana Moretti; 11-09-2016 at 01:30 PM.

I started my wardrobe with panties. Next, I added bras to the mix. After that it was pantyhose. Then I started buying clothes, shoes and accessories.

Good advice Ariana. I've always just bought things when browsing that looked good to me. Now I look at my closet and think about what I need that will go with what's in there already. haha
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Tops are my major shortage as well. I have a ton of dresses, skirts and heels but I need more tops for those skirts. For just that reason of wanting to "complete" more outfits
    bi for now

Kathie Pantyhose
    Any day in pantyhose is a great day

OP.

I should probably do a little more research and see what kind of girl you are.

But... in full knowledge I may get called out as some kind of fetishist... I like to sleep "as a woman".

Nothing outrageous. Not the dom type of gear. Just curl up close against the pillow and drift off asleep in my frills.

Here's an example of a recent purchase. I like this one alot: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They dont cost very much and slip off in a moment. As soon as the alarm goes.. you get up and walk to the mirror... say HELLO! ... and take it off. Your going to work... cant leave that on!

I enjoy it anyway...

Sounds great having your own place.
    The nicest items I thought I bought this year is four human hair wigs.
    "This is ME" I am not CRAZY, I'm just a GUY who likes dresses!
    Since allot of men dress up in woman's clothing that makes it a manly thing to do!
    Much more fun than fishing.
    I do construction like house building and I love CD-ing, what's the difference?

Miss Judy,

You look lovely. You have a great sense of style and you show that dressing your age is tremendously attractive.

Regards,

Belinda

Wow the advice here is amazing and keep coming =]

Except now I want a babydoll as well!

Judy it is great having my own place - sitting here in a pair of heels is so simple but feels like a dream.

Still starting out so feel like I'm years off going outside but wud be amazing eventually

Senior Member Nikkilovesdresses's Avatar
    There are classics like a black skirt and a white blouse that will never go out of fashion and can be used with a host of other garments to make up an outfit - you can research 'classic female wardrobe items' very easily. These things are a long term investment. So maybe one thing like that per month and one totally frivolous thing that just excites your eye? And how about wigs? They start very cheaply and go up to hundreds, but for 20 bucks you can get something that will transform your appearance.
    I used to have a short attention spa

I would definitely suggest going to some thrift stores and go crazy. Salvation army stores usually have tops for less than a dollar and bottoms for not much more. It's a lot easier to know what kind of clothes you like if you have a lot to choose from

Only when there's a sale at Salvation Army stores in my area. Generally lower priced than Goodwill and I've gone bit crazy shopping there myself. Lately I've bought more off of sales racks at regular clothing stores. Thrift stores are like mining for gold! You never know what you'll find - garter belts, strapless bras, even panties oh my.