Thread: Advice needed: running a 5K as Kaley!

Advice needed: running a 5K as Kaley!

Anyone ever done this? Any tips? How much makeup? Hair style? (I was thinking of pony tail through ball cap). Running skirt? Registration? Anything else? I'm nervous about it. Also, can the local paper take your photo and post it without permission?

I run a 5K at least every other week. Never would I attempt to do so dressed. First off, sweating would make that nearly impossible for me. Secondly, I am very competitive and more often than not, I win my age group, my male age group, and I like that (I am old). You can certainly do it, I'd go light on the makeup if you can (my facial hair would allow that), and your other ideas would work. Register as a male, anything else (I assume) would be not be accurate. No one tracks your bib number to your finish/time, it's all done electronically. Just make sure you don't finish in the top 3 of your age group and no one will know. You should also a large 5K, I've run races with thousands of runners and those with less than 20. The more, the less you will even be noticed. And unless you win the race, I wouldn't worry about your picture showing up in the local paper. Good luck!
    Visit Kandi's Land (http://www.kandis-land.com/) daily! Nothing but positive and uplifting posts!
    Pictures and stories of every time out: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131254150@N06/.

I'm not sure that make-up is a good idea before you run 3+ miles. I'd imagine you'd just sweat it all off. And thinking about running in a wig (assuming you wear one) just sounds like one of the layers of hell.

Banned Read only
    leave your forms at home

Go for it ! Tinted moisturizer,very light on the eye shadow,no liner,no mascara,light on the lipstick[go with lipstain] Hair in a pony through the cap,studs or durable earrings..Shorts,high impact sports bra for your forms covered by a matching tank top. Good to go ! Very short race...Have fun !

Rogina -- have you done this before? I'm getting a lot of conflicting advice here. :-( Yes, I'll wear a wig under a ball cap, but it'd going to be 40 degrees, so shouldn't be too bad. I hope my ugly gray running shoes don't give me away. I have no way to find out how many people will be there. It's a run/walk and not too competitive -- I doubt there's even electronic timing.

Can't say much about 5Ks but I did the Tough Mudder Half (half Tough Mudder, not half marathon) a few weeks ago in full cheerleader uniform (I was wearing a flowery bikini bottom instead of trunks) and everyone loved it! Yes, I had on a crappy wig but I was fully dressed! Don't worry about trying to pass - just do it and enjoy it. I'm volunteering at two fun 5Ks this weekend, maybe three, in uniform. I've already got the go ahead from the organizers.
    Have fun and do it!

tiptoeing thru the tulips ellbee's Avatar
    If you're not running a marathon in 4-inch heels, you're not a real CD'er!!!

(Kidding. )

I'd wear some cute & colorful running shoes, but that's just me. Oh, and have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Jenniferathome View Post
    leave your forms at home
    Or put them in a good fitting sports bra.

And buy some women's running shoes. I have some and wear them in guy mode (helps that they are mostly blue).
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Quote Originally Posted by kaleyg View Post
    Rogina -- have you done this before? I'm getting a lot of conflicting advice here
    Of course ! Breast cancer awareness,queer kids,etc...And it is Florida..I didn't touch on your shoes as I expected better looking than you describe ! lol

Most 5 K's I have run in we had to check male or female. I'd think you would nearly have to check your right gender or might possibly make the paper as a cheater.... Lol...I am thinking in a big event the news paper can use pictures from public places without permission.

You can wear your forms but as Sara has alluded, get yourself a good fitting sports bra or you might experience chafing. I've made that mistake and trust me, not a good feeling...

Go to your local park when there's maximum runner traffic and run for half an hour. That will tell you what you need to know.

PS - you will absolutely need to put your correct contact information on your entry for safety and so the race is able to both ensure the validity of its race results and to protect and maintain its insurance.
    Last edited by michelleddg; 11-11-2016 at 10:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kaleyg View Post
    Also, can the local paper take your photo and post it without permission?
    Here in the land of the free speech 1st Amendment, the general answer is yes, if you are in a public space, your picture can be taken and posted in the newspaper and/or on social media outlets without your permission and whether you like it or not. Celebrities deal with this daily. With the advent of smart phones almost everyone carrying one is a potential Paparazzi. Certain "private" areas are excluded like bathrooms, changing rooms and ATMs, but public spaces can include inside retailers too. State by State rules might vary slightly.
    Last edited by Taylor186; 11-11-2016 at 10:22 AM.

Your concerns are unfounded ! The race is a good thing...it is a happy time. People are not trying to snoop you ! There is no reason. Fill out the form using your initial and a last name and the rest of what they are asking for. It is no big deal and when the next ten people have signed up,they already forgot the "transgender person" a while back. And the same with any pictures..If they have no info,and you are dressed as a female,why would anyone dig? It isn't crimestoppers.. It is a short running /walking race !

Reality Check
    If you are planning on running as a female, you really need your breast forms and hip and butt padding. The pony tail through the ball cap will work.

If you have to register as a male or female, answering female would be a lie and could possibly cause trouble.

The newspaper and anyone else can take your photo and publish it without your permission. If you really look like a woman and not your male self, that shouldn't be a problem. If you win and they want to do a story on you, that could be a problem.

Thanks everyone for the advice -- sadly, it turns out I'm not doing it. :-( But I will be working out in the hotel exercise room!

i ran in the annual lehigh valley halloween 5k a few years back. huge event drawing about 1000 runners in costume. wore my cheerleader outfit (and posted here). r3gistered day of race as male. wore a running hat to handle the wig. was about 45 F, so makeup was not a problem. so I think I am in the clear, doing this 2500 miles from home. but to my surprise, I see the story on my LOCAL LA news, and there I am in sll my glory for my wife and others to see. I seriiusly spit out my cereal in shock. no, nothing came of it, but beware....

have been thinking about running another in female mode, but always worried about being caught wgen someone looks up the picture and cross references the number from the results.

note, I wear womens running shoes regularly, as I wear only a certain shoe model, and as they are out of 'print' (they are 4 versions ahead now), it is MUCH easier to find them in womens 11, 11.5 & 12 then mens 10 or 10.5 on ebay.
    Last edited by melissa_rinaldi; 11-11-2016 at 05:24 PM.

Nothing is a big deal unless you make it one..Most people when transformed do not look like their male self unless there is a solid clue for the super detective with an agenda !