Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You shall not pass!

Silver Member

You shall not pass!

Ok....

A. I don't have a long grey beard, and no jokes about my staff in my hand.
    And
    2. Last I checked, you all are not just a bunch of flamming....Balrogs.

Now that we've gotten that out of the way, I can relate what I really want to tell you. Passing IS possible. Passing meaning that as you interact with the public, you are perceived as a woman, even though you were born with genetically male components.

But Meghan how do you know, how do you dare to make such a pronouncement? Because I've seen it with my own eyes, as recently as Monday night.

Monday evening, I was fortunate enough to meet with Heidi as she Passed through town. We had drinks at a local establishment, wonderful conversation and great treatment from the staff. I was en drab, she en fem. And let me tell you, I looked very carefully, and closely monitored the staff interaction. And my total assessment was, Heidi was a woman of her late 50s, in good health and totally appropriately dressed for a Monday evening meeting her brother on a trip through town.

Of course the coversation was good and time was too short. I snapped a photo out in the parking lot, but the sodium vapor lamps made us orange and blury, so eww. Plus it wasn't Meghan in the pick, and no one wants to see boy me.

But let me tell you. Passing IS possible. Maybe not easy, but possible.

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    Oh yes, certainly for some, but I would suspect that only a small percentage of a CDers can do so completely, some come close and many would blend without difficulty.
    Here today, gone tomorrow....

Truth! Hugs, Michelle

In order to pass you do have to do a little preparation each time.

Generally we are accepted because not many stop to look for the pointers that expose us.

Go confidently about your business, dress conservatively enough not to stand out and you will be successful enough to keep people guessing,if in fact they are looking at all.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I agree, sometimes when when the stars and moon is right. It seems magical that one can pass. My So says that if you are women enough, the people only glance and think, yeah shes is a girl. and go about their business.
    Part Time Girl

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    For some people if they see female clothes they assume the person wearing them is female.
    We know that is not always the case but I have found being dressed and accessorized tastefully you will be perceived as female from a distance or just a quick glance.
    The close up encounters are harder but I know a few that pass very well and even well enough to make me look twice.

Usually when we stop worrying about "passing" is when we do. The reason is that we can be ourselves without being guarded about it.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    While it's true there are times I think I do pass once in the good light I know it's really not possible to pass 100 percent
    especially since I'm not one to use all the enhancements some do. I prefer just to be me en fem don't need all the extras except the wig and makeup of course and I'm ok with how I look and most of the time when I get addressed I people will use the proper pronoun so if that's passing I'm good with that

Try this little experiment, spend an hour in a coffeeshop and carefully observe the people. You will see that there are many women who have manly characteristics. There are women with big hands, big shoulders, hairy arms, women who are well over 6 feet tall.. do they pass? of course they do.

If we are dressed to fit in and have no obvious signs such as a heavy shadow, i think most people don't look hard enough to notice us either way.
    A.K.A Rebecca & Bec

Yes Becky, I tend to agree. However, in my case the dead giveaway is my voice - too male to not give me away. That said, I have a female friend who, on the telephone at least, sounds 100% male! Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Becky Blue View Post
    There are women with big hands, big shoulders, hairy arms, women who are well over 6 feet tall.. do they pass? of course they do.
    Or they're actually crossdressers who don't pass that well?
    A girl can never have too many dresses

not quite silver yet Emma Leigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dana44 View Post
    My So says that if you are women enough, the people only glance and think, yeah shes is a girl. and go about their business.
    Your SO is right ..but watch out for kids ...they tend to study you more carefully the little sods

I think that there are people that can pass at a certain distance. A subset of them can even pass at a reduced distance. And a subset of the subset can even pass while interacting with other people. Perhaps it is difficult, and there are many factors including body language, physical complexion, a good voice, appropriate clothes, good and appropriate makeup, appropriate hair or wig, etc... it is possible for certain people to meet those conditions specially for the androgynous looking guys, since they naturally fulfil the more difficult requeriments. For the rest of us it becomes more difficult but at least to pass at a certain distance I think it is something that many of us can do with the required practice and skills.

Banned Read only
    Kate,
    So simply and well put ! I've finally found that one out after asking it too many times .

I had the opportunity to go to Thailand a few years ago. There are quite a few CDers there. Some of them did pretty obvious things to "out" themselves. One was way overdressed (long sleeved jacket,skirt, heels) in the 90 degree heat. One of them was totally enamored with her reflection in the subway window. But the most interesting were the CDers that would look at people right in the eye, a piercing look - almost like daring people to "look" at them. The contrast was that there were no women that did that. Women went about their business without seeming to notice people around them.

My point is, that if CDers just go about their business without worrying about who is or isn't looking at them, I don't think the public would notice unless the CDer is dressed in stripper-wear at the mall or church-wear at a beach. Staring at someone's face forces that person to stare back which makes it more likely that the CDer would be outed.

Meghan has a good point, just go about your business, be friendly, answer if spoken to, and don't react like a deer in headlights.

Banned Read only
    Char,
    My assumption was they are possibly looking for hook ups and the stare is daring the other person to take a chance. That's my assumption after seeing the Ladyboy series on TV. For some it's the only way to make a living and support their family out in the country.

Teresa, that is a very interesting comment. It is most certainly a possibility! Some were "dressed" for the occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Becky Blue View Post
    Try this little experiment, spend an hour in a coffeeshop and carefully observe the people. You will see that there are many women who have manly characteristics. There are women with big hands, big shoulders, hairy arms, women who are well over 6 feet tall.. do they pass? of course they do.

If we are dressed to fit in and have no obvious signs such as a heavy shadow, i think most people don't look hard enough to notice us either way.
    The downside to this line of thinking is that these women who have such features, they still have far more feminine features than masculine. A woman with 1% or 2% masculine features still has 98% feminine features to cancel them out and people will still read them female. For men its harder since we have more masculine features than feminine, and while we can try to downplay our masculine features and play up our feminine features all we want, the scale is still tipped against us.

Call me a hater but I think passing for a crossdresser is a fantasy. I look at crossdressing pics on here, Flickr, Reddit, and such every day and its rare that I see a photo that I consider passable. You pretty much need a perfect storm. I have been blessed with a slim figure, not the most masculine face, and a higher pitched voice, but my jaw and chin will give me away immediately no matter how much I contour them.

It's why I don't care about passing, because I know I don't. I just get anxious around big crowds.
    28 years old, 6' tall, 155 pounds
    Measurements: 33 bust-28 waist-37 hips
    Dress Size: 6, Bra Band Size: 34

Silver Member
    I will admit that it is not easy to pass, and for many men, extremely unlikely. And perhaps a little help like electrolysis or laser, or some ffs, might be needed for some.

But I have met in person a fair number of crossdressers and not an insignificant number of them could actually pass. I do find it interesting that some CDS that have the opinion that almost no cds can pass often have the same opinion of themselves. Transference perhsps? And Dolove, I think you are particularly hard on your self. I'd be willing to bet you do better than you think, and if your not happy with your passability, it might just take a couple of tweeks!

I have to disagree with you to some extent Dolovewell. I know and have been out with some TransGirls who look very feminine, and I can also think of a couple of genetic women I know who have quite a lot of masculine features. Perhaps these women have a bit more testosterone in their bodies than average.

Re passing, it really depends on what you define as passing. In my opinion, if I can walk around a shopping centre and not get any attention, no second glances, no stares. I have blended in and therefore passed, yes I am pretty sure if they started at me perhaps they may work me out. In my case I don't care whether i passed or not but its kind of nice to blend in.
    A.K.A Rebecca & Bec

That's great, congratulations to Heidi, but just because some are passable doesn't mean that everyone is.
    My name is Carol.

Quote Originally Posted by dolovewell View Post
    Call me a hater but I think passing for a crossdresser is a fantasy. I look at crossdressing pics on here, Flickr, Reddit, and such every day and its rare that I see a photo that I consider passable. You pretty much need a perfect storm. I have been blessed with a slim figure, not the most masculine face, and a higher pitched voice, but my jaw and chin will give me away immediately no matter how much I contour them.

It's why I don't care about passing, because I know I don't. I just get anxious around big crowds.
    I agree with what you are saying. If anyone was to look at 99% of the cross dressers closely none of us would pass, but in the real world most of the time people are so involved in doing what ever they are involved in that they don't take the time to look at anyone closely unless we give them a reason to look. Saying that I'm not saying we pass, but we can blend in quite well.

Silver Member
    Passing is not only overrated, it's unnecessary. And possibly dangerous, as in the case where a cis man has picked up someone he thinks is a woman but turns out to be CD or TG. Very few crossdresssers ever truly pass to the extent that the world is fooled to believe that it's a woman wearing that dress. In many more cases, it's still obviously a man, but they are dressed in a modest, age appropriate way and acting in a quiet, confident, respectful way that there is no reason to think poorly of them. I call that condition Acceptance and that it should be our goal, not fooling the public.

Queen of Chinatown jennifer0918's Avatar
    Suzanne I agree, in my case if I wanna pass is for my oWN self fulfillment and satisfaction and not to fool the public.My question is this is crossdressing about gay or bi?and maybe that's why some cd's wanna pass to attract a Suiter? This is a good question about passing with many answer tailored to an individual.

tiptoeing thru the tulips ellbee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dolovewell View Post
    Call me a hater but I think passing for a crossdresser is a fantasy.

What exactly is the criteria for passing, anyway?

Someone who passes 100% of the time with 100% of the people? 50%? 1%?

Is distance a factor? 50 feet away? 20 feet? 3 feet away?

Is speaking involved? If so, how long does the conversation need to be? Based on word count? Percentage?

Do they have to spend the whole day together? See each other more than once? Some kind of longer-term relationship?

What's the universally agreed-upon definition of passing?

It's all so confusing...