Thread: You're tall, would you mind..

You're tall, would you mind..

Needing to restock my favorite Italian lemon soda, I ventured off to the market last night. Fully femme, as I had been for most of the day, I picked up a basket as I entered and wandered around a bit on my way to the proper aisle. I nearly always shop en femme for groceries at this market, a large chain supermarket near where I live, so this was not anything out of the ordinary. Until..

..Until a woman about my age (senior citizen) standing in the aisle saw me approaching and asked "You're tall, would you mind reaching those potato chips on the upper shelf for me?"

Totally out of the blue, never seen this woman before, and just as natural as could be she was asking for my help to reach a bag of potato chips that was way out of her reach. I reached the bag, and as I handed it to her she started to discuss the price of the various chips, some on sale, others not, and which were her favorites. seemed like she wanted to talk, so we spent several minutes walking up the aisle together, talking about our favorite brands and types of potato chips, as well as the lemon and orange sodas that we liked. Totally natural, just a few friendly folks having a pleasant conversation in the supermarket aisle.

I gave up worrying about how strangers see me a long time ago. I am over 6' tall so this time my height was an advantage, leading to a normal conversation. This stranger apparently did not care one way or the other how I was dressed. A totally "normal" encounter at the super market. Priceless.

Have you had any similar experiences? Would love to hear about everyday, normal things that you have experienced.

Lauren
    Last edited by Nigella; 11-24-2016 at 03:24 PM. Reason: As requested

great You look good, was there any reason that she may have been questioning your gender, not that it would or should matter. I always try not to but at the same time. me being me, I am looking for tell tale signs but I attribute that to me being a CD.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sallee

Banned Read only
    I concur. You look nice. I'm a retiree for the past eight plus years. I do my shopping en drab. I have found the grocery aisles are a great place to start a conversation. Many times I have been asked to get items from top shelves, and, have had my shopping cart intentionally bumped. Happily married, so no interest. Maybe she was interested in you?

Being a tall-ish (5-11) woman I get asked to help, from some not so tall-ish women mainly, for getting something off shelves. It does get some conversations going on other subjects at times. Doubt if any of the women are interested in me. But yes from some men that may be true.

you look like a lovely friendly lady, so she felt a common bond.
    This weekend a lovely lass helped me as I was having trouble taking selfies for my blog.
    I think mature people look at who we are (kind, friendly, happy, sad, bad etc), not what we are.
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

Banned Read only
    Lauren,
    I'm 5' 7" could you stick around my supermarket when I can't reach the top shelf ?

You look fine , most shoppers would pass you by as a woman doing her regular shop, lets face it we do see some sights with women shoppers sometimes.

I did have to smile a while ago when I saw a GG going into a B&Q, ( hardware superstore ) wearing 4" tangerine coloured heels and a mini skirts ! No it wasn't a CDer and she wasn't young either !

A similar thing... I was shoe shopping at Stein Mart wearing a skirt and open-toe heels and a fresh red pedicure. An older lady was trying on shoes within a few feet of me. She says, "These are so comfortable, but I don't know. They look a little too much like men's shoes. Do these look to masculine to you?" I said, "Girl, if I can wear these, you can wear those! I think you can wear whatever you like!" She looked a little confused. I'm pretty sure she didn't read me until I said that, if then.

Platinum Member
    Hi Lauren, That sounds like an absolutely wonderful interaction with a GG......
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Silver Member
    I bet I know which supermarket! lol

Silver Member
    From time to time people get confused about me if I'm wearing a fem blouse. I was in a Penny's lingerie section with my wife. The SA was having troubles and a customer couldn't find the bra she was looking for. I told my wife I would get it for her, but my wife said no way the woman would freak out.

When she wasn't with me I was in a discount store looking at bras (my time killer hobby). I heard a woman tell her friend if you find this in a ... I want one. A couple minutes later I happened to find one. I took it over to the woman and handed it to her. She was in shock. Her friend started laughing, then I did, and then she did. She asked if I worked there and I said, no just shopping. I went back to shopping and that peaked their curiosity. Her friend may have seen my projection and asked what size do you wear. I told her and we joked some more but I didn't find anything and left. If I wasn't married I might have made an effort to get acquainted with her friend.
    Last edited by lingerieLiz; 11-27-2016 at 10:17 PM.

Virtually no one would call me tall...unless I had some pretty high heels on!

That's beautiful. Too bad every human being couldn't view "us" like that. Being excepted for who we are is soooo desired.

Definitely it's one reason why I fantasize about CD for years but never did. Became too tall too soon. My parents thought it's a great thing but I was neutral about it and did not like it when it comes to CD.

Perhaps size does have its uses after all, I'm 6'2" without heels, if I went into a supermarket with some of my higher heel shoes on they'd probably ask me to change the light fittings.

Hunnybun.

Quote Originally Posted by hunnybun View Post
    Perhaps size does have its uses after all, I'm 6'2" without heels, if I went into a supermarket with some of my higher heel shoes on they'd probably ask me to change the light fittings.

Hunnybun.
    I would need 7" heels to get to 6'2"s.

Banned Read only
    I get that all the time in male mode. I haven't gone out en femme, but if I did in heels I'd be almost 7' tall so I figure I'd get even more of it... That or I'd scare people!!

Oh and if you're tall and someone asks you to reach something off a high shelf for them you could always ask them to get something off a very low shelf for you in return.

Aspiring Member
    Men and women come in all shapes and sizes, and the sooner we let go of looking like Barbie or Marilyn or (insert icon of femininity here), the better. Presenting publicly is stressful enough without laying that kind of self-criticism on ourselves. Besides, virtually every GG has doubts about this or that imperfection.

I host a couple of weekly open mic events, and we've had a tall female singer show up a lot lately; senior in high school, and probably 5'11" plus. She seems tall on an average day. Over the holidays, her older sister was visiting from out of state, and they sang together beautifully. Her sister was easily 6'3", possibly 6'4", and stunning. Classically proportioned, Caitlyn Jenner hair, confidently feminine, relatively husky speaking voice (but definitely not one of us), the works. Just a beautiful woman in her late 20s who happens to tower over most men and looks fabulous while doing it. We met their father, and he's of NBA altitude, so that's where the daughters got their extra vertical inches.

They are the kinds of females we need to encounter now and then to get over the height self-consciousness that so many of us grapple with. As more than a few have said relative to wearing heels, if you're already that tall, own it and be proud; wear what makes you feel good and look the way you want to. Stand up straight and hold your head high. If you come from a tallish family (my dad was 6'3", eldest brother 6'4", elder brother 6'0", sister and mom 5'9", me 6'1"), it's easy to respond unselfconsciously if someone mentions how tall you are. You didn't get to choose your parents, after all.

You can see more from up there, and the top shelves are within your reach.

Well I'm not tall or anywhere near, but for some reason elderly women often ask for my help, and I'm no spring chicken either, maybe I look strong, go figure, but they always act as if I'm a female(when I'm full en-femme)even though they have to know I'm not. And they always have a positive comment and attitude. I must add that I do offer assistance to the more elderly a throw back to my macho ego I guess(look at me I'm a big strong man), I hope that when I'm in my golden years I can be as graceful and kind as the women I encounter, a goal for my femme self.
    "you are a strange species and there are many out there;shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you ,you are at your best when things are at their worst" ...[ Starman]
    It may of course be a bit disturbing to sense that one is really not so firmly anchored to the gender one was born into.

I am 6' 2" so I can relate to helping people reach thins

I am also 6'2" barefoot, so I do get asked to reach things. With my 5" heels, I would stand out in public, which is one reason why I haven't ventured out. Maybe I should get basketball earrings or other female basketball team items, so people would think I am just a female basketball player. With flats it would not be AS BAD, but why not show off killer legs in heels if you are going to be noticed anyway!
    Hugs, Ellen

In barefoot I am 5'11 and my last girlfriend was 5'11 we were the same height. When she wore tall heels she stood tall above me and I was proud to have her. LOL now when I put on those tall heels I m over six feet. So there are a lot of tall girls. When I m one I guess I fall into the tall girl side. Yes people have asked me to reah up for stuff. Last week I was at Walmart and we were looking for pineapple slices and we could only find cut up pieces. A Walmart employee came up and asked, we asked her to do one last look on that very tall shelf. Sure enough they were slices. Go figure.
    Part Time Girl

I dont get out dressed very often ,flats for me..... heels would put me around 6'5".

Reality Check
    Quote Originally Posted by Acastina View Post
    Men and women come in all shapes and sizes,...............

I host a couple of weekly open mic events, and we've had a tall female singer show up a lot lately; senior in high school, and probably 5'11" plus. She seems tall on an average day. Over the holidays, her older sister was visiting from out of state, and they sang together beautifully. Her sister was easily 6'3", possibly 6'4", and stunning. .
    Both men and women are typically taller and larger now than they were 50 years ago and people born 50 years ago were typically taller and larger than their parents. Nutrition, medicine, etc.

You may see six foot tall women around, but my bet is that they are mostly the younger generation. You won't see a lot of sixty year old six foot tall females.

BTW: Many women and some men lose height as they age. I have lost about three inches in height since my twenties.

Aspiring Member
    I get that a lot but I often wonder what someone would do or say if someone said your short would you get that off of the bottom self for me.

I am 6'2'' and if I go to pick the grandkids from school there are lots of GG's waiting who match my height.
    I think you would only draw attention to yourself if you were to overdo the make up and look more drag than
    CD.
    After all its how it makes you feel that counts, if you are comfortable with the way you look go out and enjoy!
    if not don't its all about you.