Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is my name too chavvy?

Is my name too chavvy?

My female persona name "Lacey Manin" just happened when I was starting an online profile and I liked the concept and the pun.
    Recently I've been told that Lacey is too chavvy while I always thought it had a girly and classy feeling to it.
    Anyway, since English is not my mother tongue, I thought I'd ask you gals?

Sorry, what does "chavvy" mean? Never heard that word/term before in the USA.

Lacey is a nice girls name and was fairly common here in the states. Not sure what you mean by chavvy. Maybe, the were saying Savvy witch means experienced or well informed, IE,, to be savvy is to understand. And that is not derogatory.
    Agh just look it up and in the urban dictionary which means scum of British society. Ah, I would not worry about it as whoever said that was probably saying that since you are a CD that it was very bad to be one. Write those people off. Or give them a piece of your mind.
    Last edited by Dana44; 11-30-2016 at 04:23 PM.
    Part Time Girl

Chav = British slang for a certain youth counter culture. From what I understand it's kids from the "lower rungs" of British society that like to drape themselves in designer labels.

I don't know either, but once I drove my chavvy to the lavvy but the lavvy was dry.

Yes, I think it's quite chavvy.

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleScott View Post
    I don't know either, but once I drove my chavvy to the lavvy but the lavvy was dry.
    This gave me a gooood laugh!

Lavvy is slang for lavatory, right?

CHAV - A redneck to you US types. But the worst kind. "Designer labels" and sports wear ripoff's bought at the market (copies) for all of £5.

Council
    House
    And
    Violent

C.H.A.V

Not at all what any sane person would wish to be.But the British social class is a very hard thing to understand. I am a floating B1/B2. I started life as a C1. My daughter is a C2/C1 floater (her mother... what was I thinking...) but she will end life as a B1/B2 as I am.

This to really fully explore would need a whole forum section of it's own.

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    Oxford English Dictionary Chav= Informal British derogatory meaning a young lower class person who displays brash and loutish behaviour and wears real or imitation designer clothes.
    And lavvy is indeed a lavatory.
    Here today, gone tomorrow....

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I'm totally confused.

Banned Read only
    "Upstate" NY USA.... Site of the first crash of the "Vin Fiz"
    Oxford English Dictionary Chav= Informal British derogatory meaning a young lower class person who displays brash and loutish behaviour and wears real or imitation designer clothes.......
    Ok,,,,,.. kind of like pretend high class...... like "Hyacinth Bucket" .
    Last edited by Barbara Jo; 11-30-2016 at 08:01 PM.

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    Not quite, actually semi-literate morons (and that's being kind). usually unemployed, who think wearing 'designer clothes' somehow makes them 'better'chav-28664.jpg
    Last edited by Lorileah; 12-02-2016 at 02:04 AM. Reason: no need to quote post above yours
    Here today, gone tomorrow....

I think Lacey is a fine name for a GG and/or a drag queen and the opposite of a "classy" name for a crossdresser or TG or TS. The pun is the problem.

I think Lacey is a nice name, not too chavvy now that I know what that means. I prefer Lacey to Laci or Lacie as a way to spell it, too. The Manin part I don't get, if that's a play on words maybe just choose something more standard. I think it's cool to choose a last name too, and why shouldn't we all have movie star names since this is fantasy. The name on my imaginary birth certificate is Jennifer BTW, I just go by Jen
    Last edited by jen_ross; 11-30-2016 at 09:26 PM.

I understand it's kids from the "lower rungs" of British society that like to drape themselves in designer labels
    cheeky monkeys .................... l.o.l.

I started life as a C1. My daughter is a C2/C1 floater (her mother... what was I thinking...) but she will end life as a B1/B2 as I am.
    ...... Dang !?!?!?!?

Lacey is kinda' cute. Manin ... not sure about that part.

Oh Nicole, you get spanked for bad puns

Lacey,

I suppose it all depends upon your age. If in the flush of youth then it's a name that fits in popular culture. If like me you're on the wrong side of 60 then it probably doesn't sit too well. As for being too Chavvy, had it been Britney, well that definitely would be taking it too far.

As for your surname, how about "Fair". Then you'd be Lacey Fair (laissez-faire the practice or doctrine of noninterference in the affairs of others, especially with reference to individual conduct or freedom of action), get it? Okay not that funny but you can't blame me for trying.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Senior Member Nikkilovesdresses's Avatar
    My only association with the name Lacey is Cagney & Lacey. I'm quite aware of Chav culture and I don't see it as a Chav name.

I think you should call yourself whatever you like.
    I used to have a short attention spa

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jentay1367 View Post
    cheeky monkeys .................... l.o.l.
    An old Spanish saying, I believe: Although the monkey may dress in silk, she remains a monkey.

While not particularly funny Helen, I like the implications of using the name Lacey Fair.

I like "Fair" as a surname. "Lacey Fair" sounds nice and is a smart word play, IMO.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Thanks for all the input. Sorry "Chavvy" caused a bit of confusion. Yes, I meant "lower class" like.

The problem with the term 'Chavvy' is that it is generally only understood by those who are tuned in to popular culture in the UK, specifically the bit between Watford Gap and the English Channel! (Can you tell that I'm an embittered northerner?) Where I come from the pejorative of choice would be 'common'!
    So is 'Lacie Manin' too 'common'? I don't know. I like Helen's suggestion not least cos real chavs wouldn't get the joke!
    Irrelevant aside - I know several (real) people with the surname 'Fair', an estate agent, a doctor and a dentist.

It works great A name is just a name. If you like it then it works for you and that is the important part
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sallee