Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Catalog that outed me.

Silver Member
    If you had/have a girlfriend they knew/know about, you could have used the excuse you bought her some things and that is why you got the catalog. If not... yeah, awkward.

I had the same problem with Paula Young. Long ago when I was living with my parents I had a Paula Young catalog arrive in my name (I had to provide a physical address instead of a PO box for an order), and that is how they got my home address. Yeah... didn't go over well.

Quote Originally Posted by CourtneyJamieson View Post
    And I agree, who sends print catalogs anymore in the internet era.
    You'd be surprised. There is a certain demographic that prefers to select from a print catalog and order with a phone call, or even a mailed-in order form. Somewhere is a marketing person who's run the numbers and determined that it's still profitable to shotgun mail that catalog.

even if you buy something online and then have it shipped to the store for direct in store pick-up (not even providing your home address), they can link back to your credit card and send you catalogues. In order to avoid the hassle, I used to use pre-paid visa cards that I "registered" to old addresses to where I once lived. That way I'd have an old driver's license to go pick it up in the store. My old neighbors must be shocked at the number of different women's apparel companies that sent me catalogues!

Life has gotten so much easier since my wife found out (through the dreaded out of stock postcard as Lexi mentioned above when i used my regular address!). Now i just tell her to expect the orders....

To stop catalogs?
    Write NOT KNOWN AT THIS ADDRESS on the front in the largest marker that will work and put it back in the mail!

Last week I received a Venus catalog with "his" name on it My wife who "doesn't want to see it, etc." but seems to look for any sign of it, didn't say a word, it just went into the recycling as it would if it came to her. I believe that the same is true when catalogs from Forever 21 , VS, and some Prom dress company come in the mail with "his" name on it. I presume that she just chalks it up to aggressive advertising and the fact that its my credit card that does most of the online purchases.
    Warmest regards,
    Pamela

Just to digress slightly: ex-Mrs took out a magazine subscription and put it in the dog's name! Now, the thinking behind this makes sense, as you can track who they're selling information to. Some weeks later, two letters from credit card companies arrived proudly proclaiming that he was "Pre-Approved"! I was sorely tempted to fill one in.....
    Knowing yourself is so much more, Take one step forward and you open up the door. T'pau - Secret Garden.

Check out my blog - You Can't Do That With People

I buy a lot of clothes for my wife and daughters from Talbots, Woman Within, Jessica London, Lane Bryant, Catherine's, etc. Also but them cosmetics from Sephora and Ulta. I receive tons of mailings as a result. I don't worry about my name being on them anymore. I can also tell you who ships in discreet packages and who doesn't.

Reality Check
    Buy your stuff from a retail store and you won't have that problem.

Retailers sometimes share mailing lists so you sometimes get catalogs from companies that you haven't dealt with in the past. I would just brush it off and go on about your business.

Addicted To Lipstick donnatracey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Judith96a View Post
    To stop catalogs?
    Write NOT KNOWN AT THIS ADDRESS on the front in the largest marker that will work and put it back in the mail!
    That might work in the UK but not here. Also not sure your postal service(British Mail or USPS) is going to pay to send back, esp when they know it's the correct name and address....

Donna, dunno about USPS but Royal Mail will charge the original sender for the return! Better still, use the reply-paid envelope (either empty or containing something useless to the supplier). Only costs the catalog sender money when you use it!

Reality Check
    To stop catalogs?
    That only shifts the burden of disposing of the catalog from you to the post office. They will keep coming as long as someone is sending them.

We still get mail for the previous residents and we've been here over ten years.

Quote Originally Posted by Krisi View Post
    We still get mail for the previous residents and we've been here over ten years.
    I still get the odd thing for the people before the people before! They left in 2000.....
    Knowing yourself is so much more, Take one step forward and you open up the door. T'pau - Secret Garden.

Few things have been as liberating in my life as coming out and telling my close friends about my gender bending and sexual proclivities. Every woman I date also gets full disclosure either up front before we go out, or as soon as it starts to get the least bit serious. I often discuss ongoing sales and styles with some of my girl friends, and occasionally get to go shopping or get pedicures together, too. I actually love getting the emails and catalogs and I proudly show off my VS Angel credit card anytime I can. :-) Feels great to live openly and to have so many friends who accept me just as I am.

I don't know if someone said this but "Suddenly Fem" will also send catalogs or used to for over a year before they finally stopped. I do love their selections though. My wife didn't throw them away but wasn't happy with them always either. Sometimes the tolerance depends on her sleep/work otherwise we also do DADT
    bi for now

Kathie Pantyhose
    Any day in pantyhose is a great day

Quote Originally Posted by CarlaWestin View Post

But, in your case, you're an offspring. There were no vows or contracts. Only a wink and a twinkle. You are a 'this is what you get' entity.
    So, why the DADT attitude to a parent? Is it a, "My house, my rules!" situation?

No, I don't feel it's a "my house my rules" situation. My mom is pretty liberal so I don't have to worry about a conservative mindset judging me.

If I was afraid that id be kicked out, I wouldn't have even started.

I'm more afraid of losing my sense of being "male". It's hard to explain something that is purely emotion. I guess to paraphrase the chaos of my mind "I'm still a male, I don't want to be seen in that light-it would be too weird and it will never go away, maybe i do want it- no there is surely something i missed when thinking what could go wrong. It's just a fetish, Is it really? family shouldn't be involved in such matters! It's just clothes- No it's something else. I don't want them to know how sick I am, I don't desire help but will be shamed into getting help. I don't want to be a spectacle, I won't, I can't let go of being "normal" I have worked hard living in a manner that is normal.

*cries*

I have placed strong moral values in being a certain way for everyone who cares about me.

To stop catalogs?
    Doesn't work all the time. I now write "DECEASED" on the mail and return to sender in a street post box. That seems to work.

Banned Read only
    "Upstate" NY USA.... Site of the first crash of the "Vin Fiz"
    Yeah companies get their mailing lists from who knows where.....

Just recently, I started to get issues of "Sports Illustrated " magazine. I was never into sports of any kind that they could have been even remotely aware of .
    Advertising rates for magazines are based on circulation rates . Even a free one counts for this.
    When I finally called, them, I told them to stop sending me the magazine. They told me they must have got my name and address address from a mailing list supplier that they contract with.

So, these mailing list suppliers will just give their customers any address, whether it is a match for for their product or not.

It's a shotgun approach that the catalog companies use for their catalogs.
    If only half hit their target, they are happy .

Bottom line, no one is completely in charge of what is sent to them.
    Last edited by Barbara Jo; 12-07-2016 at 08:50 PM. Reason: spelling

Pirate Queen wannabe Maria Blackwood's Avatar
    I get 3 or 4 women's clothing catalogs a week.

I love it. I browse them all. The fun ones are when it's a new company I haven't heard of. I found Torrid that way, and I'm now a Torrid Insider. The Pyramid Collection was another. I have a couple long, flowy, new agey dresses from them.

I live alone so no one asks. If someone did I'd shrug. I don't owe anyone an answer.
    Last edited by Maria Blackwood; 12-07-2016 at 08:38 PM.

My neighbour accepted a parcel for me and brought it round when I came home. It is fortunate that he knows about me because on the front of the parcel, in BIG letters, was 'WOMANS DRESS'.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Had something similar here recently. Lady next door brought round a package which had been put in the wrong mailbox, and she had inadvertently opened - several pairs of panties from HerRoom. She was most embarrassed, but I explained that it was for the lady who rents a room here ('my' mail comes addressed to Joanne ��).
    Last edited by MissJoanne; 12-08-2016 at 08:57 AM.

I was out when a parcel for me was delivered next door.

When I collected it, the label said in large letters "dual electric breast pumps".

When this happened to me, I mailed the catalog company the address label from the catalog and asked to be removed from their mailing list. It worked, at least after two such mailed requests. It was a concern but my requests seem to have been honored since my second request.
    I love myself in curves!

Donna, dunno about USPS but Royal Mail will charge the original sender for the return! Better still, use the reply-paid envelope (either empty or containing something useless to the supplier). Only costs the catalog sender money when you use it!
    I've heard of people wrapping up bricks in packing paper and then affixing one of those "return postage paid" envelopes or cards to them. Amazingly effective in stopping those unwanted, repeat mailings dead in their tracks... .