Thread: So what happens to all these clothes?

So what happens to all these clothes?

I was swapping PM's with another from the site who commented about how many, especially younger GG's, rarely wear a skirt or a dress during the hours of daylight let alone heels. So if you want to go out and "Blend" then such clothing is out of bounds and if one of your drivers for CD'ing is you like skirts, dresses and heels, going out dressed makes you likely to stand out.

This then prompted me to think. Where do all the skirts, dresses and heels go to once they disappear out the store doors? If you go shopping stores are full of these items and GG's browsing the racks and buying them. So is there a vast amount of femme clothing simple hanging unloved in closets and wardrobes? Or is it chosen, taken home only to be returned as the GG changes her mind?

In truth, is all a fledgling CD'er needs for a wardrobe is flat boots, leggings, a tunic top and a fitted jacket in order to get out there and blend?
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

There are in my closet...I own no jeans and just bought me first leggings...so I have them!
    No regrets except I should have got dressed & stepped out sooner.

Silver Member
    I think you will find that younger women own a lot of the skirts and dresses. As for older women many wear them to special occasions and church. If you look in the stores a lot of the dresses for teen girls are oriented to special events like dances and various celebrations. I've attended a couple late teen girl's birthday parties recently and all the girls in attendance had on dresses. I will admit that the parties were upscale and at a nice restaurant. At many professional offices (lawyers especially) women wear dresses or suits with skirts.

I connected on a flight today through Washington Reagan Airport in the late afternoon. There was an impressive number (dozens) of professional women wearing skirts and dresses with hose and heels. For work I travel quite a bit, and I also see real women dressed this way all the time at trade shows. I think the prevalence really depends on the setting...

My daughter works with a young lady who wears skirts tights and boots to work! Another young lady used to work there and frequently work skirts and dresses! I see young women almost every day dressed in dresses or skirts. Agreed most of them are in jeans and a tee shirt but 1 in 10 or 1 in 20 are wearing skirts or dresses. I guess it all depends on where you are. Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Women wear around 30% of their closet. That leaves alot of dresses and skirts collecting dust.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    U have adroitly explained why so many of us visit thrift stores regularly. Because ultimately? That's where nearly EVERY piece of women's clothing ends up!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

This must apply to me. I just love skirts, and some may be a little shorter then they should be. Just went over the 70 mark by one but still like dress a little younger. If I wanted to dress like a grandma, I probably wouldn't dress. With over forty skirts in the closet just not enough time to wear them. Maybe time to clear them out. Need to find a web site to sell some of them.

They are in my wife's closet, I am fairly certain she has enough dresses to at least dress Australia's women if not some of the US's too.
    A.K.A Rebecca & Bec

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen_Highwater View Post
    In truth, is all a fledgling CD'er needs for a wardrobe is flat boots, leggings, a tunic top and a fitted jacket in order to get out there and blend?
    pretty much yeah....

But where's the fun in that? I'd rather not blend!

Aspiring Member
    if your my wife, you buy them, wear them once or twice and then say you have nothing to wear.
    Sara

I think that lots of GG's wear skirts and dresses, but that the venues most of us frequent are too casual for that mode. The mall is not a high fashion locale, unless you're shopping in Nordstrom and paying a few hundred $$ for your dresses. The girls that shop at Forever 21 aren't wearing those dresses to the mall and besides jeans and slacks and capris are comfortable and can be stylish depending on how you accessorize.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

I'm a GG and wear skirts and dresses as a preference, though I'm not a big fan of heels. I do have a pair of knee-high, lace-up leather boots with about a 3" heel... those are stunners. My CD LOVES them! Not his style, but he likes when I wear them.

Now that it's cold weather, I'm in sweater dresses with leggings, pretty scarves, and flat boots. I don't see a lot of others dressed in this style, but more should; it's cute!

Now that you mentioned it, I have always found it strange how quickly the skirts or dresses in a particular store I grew to like are out of stock, and I have yet to see a single woman wearing them. But that may be due to the fact that it is not your ordinary high street or fast fashion retailer.

I agree with that Cheryl said about venues; yesterday I was meeting a good friend and she was wearing a really nice striped top, a black lace skirt, pantyhose and knee high boots. When I complimented her on the looks she said was supposed to go to an event her school organised. Other than that, she is more of a leggins girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriella111 View Post
    Now that it's cold weather, I'm in sweater dresses with leggings, pretty scarves, and flat boots. I don't see a lot of others dressed in this style, but more should; it's cute!
    Where I live I see a few girls a day who are dressed in this style. And you're right, it definitely is cute! I would love to try that one day. And maybe throw in some knee high socks

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    Out in my local city center around noon recently I would say about half of the women I saw were wearing skirts or dresses. Granted many of them were probably office workers out for a quick bit of shopping.
    Here today, gone tomorrow....

I think it depends on the setting. When, I go to a sporting event, it's very rare to see a GG in a skirt or dress. But when I went out evening shopping a couple of weeks ago, about 20% of GG's were wearing skirts. I was wearing mine, so I blended in ok. In my office, about half the women are wearing skirts or dresses at any one time. This includes the youngsters as well. Occasionally, I work in London and this figure is even higher.
    A girl can never have too many dresses

Like Sarah says above, I think a lot depends on where you are, where you live. If I shop in my major big city there is a reasonable proportion of GG's in skirts and dresses, however in my local town that's not the case at all.
    Very rare I see many girls in heels especially highish ones

I made a name badge with my picture on it and put a black strip on the side to make it look like a key card. If your in the mall or at lunch near a big company and you are in a skirt or dress Any one would think that your work requires a badge on you blouse so you don't look out of place at most places you go.
    My story is the song "Reflection" by Jackie Evancho

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy23 View Post
    Where I live I see a few girls a day who are dressed in this style. And you're right, it definitely is cute! I would love to try that one day. And maybe throw in some knee high socks
    YES! Knee high socks are the best!

I Occasionally see GG para professionals wearing skirts with tights or leggings never being leisure. And my eyes POP OUT if I see someone wearing pantry hose!!
    Last edited by Richelle423; 12-07-2016 at 06:17 PM.

I agree with Judith, the fun for me is wearing a dress with panty hose. During the week nights, I just pretend I just got off work.

It depends somewhat on where you live. A lot of Texas women like to dress up, so you see a lot of skirts and dresses around here. You see a lot of blue jeans too, of course. You tend to see a lot more skirts and dresses in the summer when the temperatures hit the 100s. It's just too hot for pants (poor guys) and even shorts are hotter than a skirt.

Banned Read only
    Helen,
    I have to be careful how I answer this because it was deleted last time.
    The story started when I was having coffee in John Lewis with my wife in the upper floor of a shopping complex, we were surrounded by nice clothes shops but when we looked down at the public going on the ground floor I asked my wife where do all these nice clothes go because of the way most the women shoppers looked ( last time I worded it differently !) My wife did have to agree with me.

Some time ago I submitted a thread titled, "Wearing a skirt or a dress it must be a CDer ". I will admit for the first time this weekend I will be wearing women's trousers, only because I'm staying over at the hotel and felt they may be better to go to breakfast in, but I have packed a skirt if I change my mind.

I was watching 'The Arrow' this evening and I then noticed how fem one of the characters was dressed and my mind came back to this conversation. I can not remember a time I did not see this character in a dress (and looking really good in it too). She has almost always been in a professional environment in the show though. Is that the reason? Wish I could look like her!

Genny B
    Dani (Genny before Transition)
    All Girl!