Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Visceral Response

I can be my own best and worst critic about accepting myself never mind other opins .I will deal with that
    Last edited by Ally 2112; 12-10-2016 at 09:50 AM.
    I have a hubcap diamond star halo

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Krisi View Post
    A person could study sexual orientation and/or crossdressing and still decide that it's wrong. That doesn't make them "uninformed", it just means they don't agree with you.

What forms a person's opinions? Upbringing and life experience. Theirs will be different from mine and different from yours.
    And if they act out that disagreement in a rude or threatening way, they're bigots, defined as the intolerant attachment to one's beliefs. If they mind their own business, fine, live and let live, but if they get in your face with condemnation, that crosses a line.

Why are their opinions entitled to aggressive dominance? The OP asked about visceral responses, not differences of opinion. Bigotry can be ignorant, or it can be knowing.

Senior Member Nikkilovesdresses's Avatar
    It isn't unique to bigots encountering crossdressers. I've seen people react similarly to effeminate gays, or to people who are particularly revolting because of appearance, physique, or activity.

It's just an expression of a person reaching their limit of tolerance and acceptance. To my mind they would be people who would not cope well out of their comfort zone. Or to put it more succinctly, 'losers'.
    I used to have a short attention spa

The same reaction applies to surgeons up to their ears in blood, the mortician preparing a corpse for burial, war atrocities of the uncensored kind and anything that is not the norm to others.

Some could not work in a butchers shop, slaughterhouse or be a first responder or ambulance driver.

These people do their job with efficiency and even fervour.

Would you make a good first aid attendant?

There are some who are in these occupations would give us the eww factor the same as we could not do their jobs.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

In medical school, I had to take a hand saw and cut the head of our cadaver down the middle of the face to expose the areas inside to learn them. So gory movies have nothing on what I have done, in the name of science. No visceral response, but the image sticks with you. I drained 2 foul smelling abscesses yesterday - no visceral response. Maybe I have little emotions - I consider myself half Vulcan, but hope my Ellen side can be my Amok time. The uncanny robot theory also helps explains why racial bigots may hate others so much enough to do violence- they hoped to see them as very different, but in reality see them the same and therefore get the visceral response.
    Maybe we live in a society of gender bigots who get this response to people who are close by don't fit the exact binary.
    Hugs, Ellen

I've found generally gay men are sympathetic to cross-dressers as fellow travelers in being out of the ordinary gender wise. The drag queen theatrical exaggeration of society's view of gay men as sissies is a big meme, so there is still a range of visceral response among gay men- from sympathetic to mocking, with curiosity and friendly tolerance the largest segment.

I represent a minority position among crossdressers, and get the same visceral response range here on the Forum- for all the good reasons everyone has said here. This has been a really informative read!
    We are all beautiful...!

Quote Originally Posted by Meghan4now View Post
    people are entitled to their opinions,
    then
    there has to be some basis for this visceral reaction.
    If it's a visceral reaction, it's not an opinion.
    Are we dangerous, or poisonous or disease laden?
    No, we simply display a behavior which upsets most of our society's perception of people accepting the responsibilities of the traditional roles assigned to the sexes. An occasional woman can do that with no threat to the 'tribe', which is why gay and TG women aren't disliked as we are. But when a man does it, it could threaten the entire existance of that society. One weak link in a line of battle can cause the loss of the entire group of soldiers, and then the whole society will be at risk.

Maybe if I understood that, I could address the response with a rational approach. <snip> And there may be root causes I am not considering.
    You're going to have to present an entire psychological hypothesis to your target CD-o-phobe and hope they have the intellectual capacity to understand and accept it. A large percentage of the population apparently does not. Remember, more than 50% of the population still believes in mythology, not science/rational thought.

what is the root of the visceral negative response to CDing?
    I honestly believe that there is at least some genetic predisposition to it. Women rely on men for support and protection; This has always been true. So when they see someone that they previously assumed would fulfill that role, who now appears to be taking on the traditional female role, they feel insecure and uncomfortable because the protection they need no longer appears to be there. Whether it crosses over to the 'Ewww' threshold depends upon the woman involved.
    Same with men; historically, men depended upon each other to stand fast in battle, even to fight to the death to protect the soldier's flank next to him. Any reason that would make someone doubt his reliability in that role could make them distrust him, and hate him at worst. And when they consider that he might do this intentionally, there comes the disgust, and the 'Ewww' factor.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Silver Member
    Lexi,

That is true, not quite an opinion. But I think your description meets the criteria of dangerous. And I do really think some response is still that we have a disease, and it might catch in some bizarre way! Totally irrationally, but it does exist.

Quote Originally Posted by michelleddg View Post
    Either that or they really want to try on our shoes but are embarrassed to admit it. Hugs, Michelle
    Thats the answer right there!

I am always a little shocked at how deep seated gender is, especially in my (older) generation. But then I just have to think about how we were raised as males and how anything feminine was derided.