Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Testosterone levels

Testosterone levels

When I wisited my doctor for the yearly check up, the took some tests. One test I asked them to take was the levels of testosterone. The reason for it was that I had heard that low levels of testosterone can lead to depression and since I have that diagnose since 2014, I wanted to see if that could be one reason. I am soon to become 50 years of age, it is natural for the levels to go down.

It turned out that I had very low levels of testosterone.

Beside the question of depression, I can't help wondering if low levels of testosterone could be one reason to my strong desire to present myself as female.

So my question to you, have anyone else made that test and where on the scale are you when it comes to testosterone?
    Everybody's got a secret sonny, something that they just can't face. Some folks spend their whole life trying to keept it, they carry it with then every step that they take. 'Till someday they just cut it loose, cut it loose or let it drag 'em down. - Well I'd say this is exactly how it is with me.

Same deal here, I was at 293 testosterone serum where the norm is 348 - 1197.

Going to injections really helped with depression.

I've always wondered if a life long low testosterone has lead me to my crazy crossdressing sexuality.

Injections good side, a flat stomach, help on the golf course and some diabetes management help.
    Injections bad side, hair growth like a monkey. I shave my chest daily.
    Injections good/bad side. Boob growth.

It's curious now that after a year on testosterone, I'm now having the complication of my body turning my testosterone into estrogen (a very common side effect). Sometimes I wonder if that is my body telling me something bigger than I'm ready to accept yet.
    Last edited by oh to be rachel; 12-08-2016 at 10:01 AM. Reason: spelling

Reality Check
    I was diagnosed with low testosterone a few years ago and have been using a testosterone gel ever since. Before and after, there was no difference in my desire to dress and present as a female.

I have had no side effects that I'm aware of. Certainly no breast growth.

Very interesting.

So you mean that testosterone injections will make your boobs grow?
    Everybody's got a secret sonny, something that they just can't face. Some folks spend their whole life trying to keept it, they carry it with then every step that they take. 'Till someday they just cut it loose, cut it loose or let it drag 'em down. - Well I'd say this is exactly how it is with me.

To quote google

It is associated with some side effects, including:
    Acne or oily skin.
    Mild fluid retention.
    Stimulation of prostate tissue, with perhaps some increased urination symptoms such as a decreased stream or frequency.
    Increased risk of developing prostate cancer.
    Breast enlargement.
    Increased risk of blood clots.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

I tried the gels for years and it was just an expensive waste. The needle is the way to go.

Don't mean to be dismissive but if crossdressing could be correlated with something as simple as testosterone deficiency then someone would have figured it out.

I have dealt with BPH (enlarged prostate) for the last 15+ years. I started on medications 13 years ago. One of the meds is proscar, which is a testosterone blocker. My testosterone level is now probably minus 10. I'll live with it. Not a whole lot of libido, but the symptoms of BPH have greatly reduced. I'll take it. No problem with any depression.

The studies show that 80% of males over 50 will have some kind of problems with BPH.

jodi

I have been on BPH meds for 10yrs or so ,my brest have gottena little larger my libido comes and goes. Body hair once shaved comes back slowly, I need to shave my legs maybe once a month.my testostrone level is low, estrogen hi . Libido is ok but my out put is low. I jokingly asked my doctor if he was turning me into a woman ,his answer was "not as long as you stand to pee" my reply ," I sit down" he smiled and squeezed my shoulder,and that was that.

Is lack of testosterone why the hair on my legs has almost disappeared? I still have though a decent sexual appetite but not like when I was in my forties and fifties. Not really depressed though. I have always enjoyed the dressing and makeup but in different degrees of intensity in my life. I'm now in my mid sixties and have been wanting to dress more. My skin is thinner and the nylons and soft clothing feels better than my wrangler jeans and work shirts. I've seen lots of older men wearing loose fitting dress pants and nylon type socks, this might explain it.

You should also be aware that the bottom edge of "low testosterone" in a male is still more than three times the "high" level for a female. So low puts you low relative to, say, Chuck Norris but doesn't put you in danger of spontaneously transitioning.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

If low testosterone is the cause of CDing, Why did I start when I was 13 and when my hormones were raging? It is a lot more complicated than low testosterone.

I have many of the symptoms of low T but do not know how low it is. Although I note an increase in breast size, decreased libido, less hair on legs, but no depression. I do not consider it as a cause of my crossdressing because it actually started before puberty! Just my 2 cents!! LOL Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Banned Read only
    I had it tested lat year. It was normal.

Starting at about age 55, I have had feminine feeling and urges with ever increasing strength and frequency. ALso, my body no longer grows hair beneath my chin and my skin is considerably softer. I naturally assumed that I must have low T, so I had it checked and was told that my Testosterone and other hormonal levels were very normal for a 72 year old male. The net result of this story is that I don't know what causes these things, but I absolutely love it and am enjoying it all that I can!

I have often wondered about that. My theory that (to me) seems pretty logical to explain late onset trans is that as our testosterone reduces it lets the inner girl out. Of course if a guy does not have an inner girl then less T will not have an impact. But perhaps having some kind of transgender already it intensifies as the testosterone drops. The fact that one may have a normal T count for a 55 year old it is still a lot less T than when they were 45. Well it seems logical to me
    A.K.A Rebecca & Bec

I started dressing at 4 years of age, no idea what my testosterone was back then.

Had very low T while wife & I were trying for a baby, got the injection and couldn't sit on my arse for weeks - never again thanks.
    Always enjoyed sex, have relatively low levels body hair and no sign of depression in my first 51 years.
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

when I had my T level checked it was"normal"...then I started transitioning. T dropped like a rock...being TS (and choosing dresses and skirts as my main outfits) didn't change. If the T was even a reason for 10%, it would be suggested as a treatment if you ever disclosed you dressed and had a desire to not dress.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

I would never say that it was the one and only reason. I don't know how it is in other parts of the world, but here in Sweden, I would say it is as impossible to do research on what causes transvestism as it would be to find out why some people are gay. It is just a big no-no.

But there are two things I beleive. One is that men and women are more alike than different. Probably 99% alike or even more. All of us are floating around the gender scale, but some are leaning more to the feminine side, some more to the masculine side. Normally those born with male bodies lean towards masculinity. We DO know that testosterone and estrogen have a very big influence as to how we behave. So the notion that low levels of it could make me (and others) more prone to develop a more feminin personality is certainly not strange to me.
    Well that was only one thing, I forgot the other but it might come back...

The reason why this question arose in me was that I visited a urologist for a possible vasectomy (sterilization). It turned out he was also a scientist doing research on what testosterone do to your body and your mind. He said this area is very unknown and according to him, the reason for that is that there is a very strong stigma surrounding testosterone. It is associated with violence, undesired behaviour in men etc. My visit with that doctor turned in to a lecture that took at least half an hour where he told med how important it is and what happens if you suffer from low levels. He did bring up the fact that low levels are causing depresstion in a big number of cases. His strong opinion was that men around 50 should have the same natural access to testosterone as women have to estrogen. I have been thinking a lot about that since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Micki_Finn View Post
    Don't mean to be dismissive but if crossdressing could be correlated with something as simple as testosterone deficiency then someone would have figured it out.

It's an interesting theory. I am nearing 60 and my T levels are normal. I have dressed since I was old enough to raid the panty drawer at home. Not optimistic that a shot of anything will change me.

Well I have come to a point where I don't want to change. I can enjoy both my male expression and my female. Before coming out and accepting myself, I could actually do neither. Now I really like both sides. So that is not my point with this thread.

I am only curious to know if anyone else or even most in this community suffer from low levels of testosterone.

Quote Originally Posted by MissTee View Post
    It's an interesting theory. I am nearing 60 and my T levels are normal. I have dressed since I was old enough to raid the panty drawer at home. Not optimistic that a shot of anything will change me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennie-cd View Post
    You should also be aware that the bottom edge of "low testosterone" in a male is still more than three times the "high" level for a female. So low puts you low relative to, say, Chuck Norris but doesn't put you in danger of spontaneously transitioning.
    Excellent point!

(rachel)

Maybe you are missing my point because of the fact that English isn't my native language.
    Last edited by Lorileah; 12-09-2016 at 01:29 PM. Reason: you don't need to quote post above yours

47 years old here and my last tests showed a level of 901 which is high normal. Still have very strong desire to dress and present en femme....

I have low "T". Been using gel treatment for several years. I have not found that using or not using, the testosterone gel to balance my levels have had any effect on my desire to dress or not.
    Teri Ray Rural Idaho Girl.

Testosterone levels certainly are not correlated with CDing in a typical male. But a change in level of testosterone and/or estrogen might make someone who is already genetically predisposed to CDing begin. There are some who did not crossdress until after 50 and put on medications.
    Hugs, Ellen