Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does being "read" means being recognized ?

Meghan4 makes a good point when mentioning "distinctive features". So you can be read as a male of women's clothing, but sometimes the person underneath is not recognized. Many people have distinct features, like a nose, lip smirk, chin shape, eyes, etc. I tend to look more at the mouth than the eyes when talking with someone, and then remember that area of the face and remember that before remembering the name the next time we meet.

Silver Member Stephanie Julianna's Avatar
    I would say that to be recognized means that you are not making any effort in the hair, makeup,w ardrobe departments or all of the above. Just look at the boy vs. girl pictures in the picture forum. Even when you know it's the same person it's hard to tell side by side. I agree with the other factors that could give you away. It's for that reason that I have always owned a car that I can use when dressed that blends as well as I want to. I have my wife's old '05 Lexus RX330 in light blue with ordinary plates that even she does not remember. I'd never go out in my '09 Mustang GT with vanity plates. I can't tell you how many people say they saw me on the road in that car. I also told my daughters years ago that we could not go out together for the same reason when I was dressed. I look nothing like my drab self and I like it that way but they always look the same.

Stephanie, Do you really mean that someone who may be recognized is not putting in enough effort? That sounds like you expect everyone to be able to put in that special extra work and then blend right in. I can, but a large percentage of us ladies cannot, no matter how much work, help and expertise they have. Some people are just recognizable no matter what they do. I am not talking about a quick glance, nor super close inspection face to face. But a long enough glance or review from across the room, like at a store or restaurant.

Several weeks ago I posted the story of visiting 'en femme' the same Starbucks where I get coffee eeeeevery day on my way to work and one of the baristas did not recognize me at all, until I spoke in my regular voice. Five feet from me for a minute or more and she flat-out did not recognize me at all.
    I suspect that once people know you well, they associate you with a certain look and, even if we might not pass, the look we present when en femme is so different from their 'imbedded view' of you, that you are very, very likely not to be 'made'

I have been to many places wher I have been known.
    I have been read on some occasions but I have always had to introduce myself to those that already knew me.

I think the association of clothing makes it difficult.
    Only close family members would know.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.