Hi All,

Many crossdressers make an effort to look as much like a female, or more precisely, closer to the culturally idealized female image as possible, with forms, padding, wigs, makeup, etc. Females do the same, and it is a problem of practice, not identity. However, when we try to reach further and call ourselves women or girls, we run into all kinds of problems.

SOs are frightened by the idea of their man turning into a woman. CDs even police others- ('I get occasional messages to the effect of 'Honey- shave or go away'.)

The new conservative political force has a field day with males 'calling themselves women'- and it would be a whole lot simpler to study what it is that we as crossdressers want. This discussion is not applicable to those who are not happy with their bodies.

Let's embrace the idea that males should be able to wear dresses and adopt the manners and roles culturally assigned and permitted for females. Femininity and masculinity are clearly independent of biological sex, therefore we are all fundamentally free with respect to how we might feel.

The logic is simple- we are male, and it is completely normal to feel identified to some degree with all sorts of things that are culturally assigned to females. Cross-dressing and cross-behaving doesn't hurt anyone, but rather affirms equal freedom for females to branch out from the limits imposed on them.

A proposal:

Would it be beneficial, simpler, and less confusing to both SOs and the general public if we refrain from calling ourselves girls or women, and focus on enjoying all this as men?

In this view, full-on crossdressing is one end of the cross-dressing spectrum, and curiously trying on some article of feminine clothing is the other. We can all come out of the closet at once, and say that crossdressing is no mystery- we are just men trying to feel and express things that are beneficial, and which generally make us better friends and partners.

I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts, and I'm going to try to start a new 'Man in a dress-yes!' thread in Pictures