Thread: Do your wife's or SO's medical issues negatively affect your crossdressing?

Do your wife's or SO's medical issues negatively affect your crossdressing?

The topic of whether or not one reason why some CDer's wives or SO's are so opposed to their partners' crossdressing is that they might be jealous of their unexpectedly convincing femme presentation, and because of that may in some ways feel that they do not measure up. Invariably, the GG's on this board chime in at that point and let these posters know in no uncertain terms that not only are they delusional and full of themselves (and full of something else, for that matter ) to even think such a thing, and that their inherent femininity totally transcends this and is not defined by what they wear. Many of the CDers here have also drunken that Kool-Aid and will solemnly avow - possibly to avoid any further negative backlash - that No! - they will always fundamentally see themselves as a man-in-a-dress, and that they fully realize that no way can they ever be mistaken for a GG - or even realistically aspire to do so.

But what if the CDer can do things that his wife or SO cannot (or will not) do...walk confidently and comfortably in high heels, have a superior fashion sense or make up skills, wear a dress size several sizes smaller than hers, have clearer skin, longer lashes or nicer-looking legs etc.? Does that argument still hold, then?

The reason I bring this up is that many of the members here (myself included) fall into the "senior" category. And the unfortunate fact of life is that we all age at different rates. And in our case, my wife's genes have not been as kind to her as mine (so far) have been to me despite her being only 1 1/2 years older than myself. Unfortunately for her, she has considerably more medical issues to deal with at this point than I have...some arthritis developing in her hands and fingers, one knee replacement done this year; one to go, bunions on both feet, and vision problems that preclude her from wearing bifocals and annoyingly (to her) having to change glasses all the time. She also tires easily and doesn't have nearly the same energy that I have. She also has scars - particularly from the last knee replacement surgery - that are quite pronounced, and ones which she is very self-conscious about.

Although the subject has never really come up directly in our household, there is no doubt in my mind that although my wife loves me deeply and appreciates all the support that I provide to mitigate the impact of these medical issues on her quality of life, I can't help but believe that on some unspoken level she is also resentful of my good fortune in this regard. More to the point, I also believe that this is one reason why we will never move beyond our existing stressful DADT stand-off because she clearly realizes that "Leslie" can do many things that she can't anymore.

I also believe that this sense of "loss" or diminishment of their sexual attractiveness or currency may be more pronounced among women of the "Boomer" generation, and whose social conditioning and notions of femininity were (partially, at least) formed by the conventions and norms of the pre-feminism, pre- Betty Friedan/Gloria Steinem/Germaine Greer era where "men were men and women were women", and the aspirational gender/sexual attractiveness role models of both sexes were defined by the likes of Marilyn Monroe, Jackie Kennedy, 'stache-sporting Burt Reynolds and suave leading men actors such as Cary Grant and the James Bond-era Sean Connery.

My wife used to be quite amenable to wearing skirts, dresses, pantyhose and heels as means of "dressing up" when the occasion warranted it. Now, that style of dressing to the nines has literally defaulted to "Leslie". My wife can no longer wear heels; "Leslie" has no problem navigating any type of heel including stilettos up into the 3"-4" range. Because of her leg scars, skirts and dresses are rarely on my wife's radar screen these days, and if so, only when paired with opaque tights...nude pantyhose are no longer an option for her. "Leslie", on the other hand, still has the legs of a forty-year-old GG (thanks, Mom, for passing those on to me ). "Leslie" continues to have boundless energy, walks everywhere in the city, loves to shop, and in fact - typically shops till she drops. My wife - not so much, and bedtime anywhere north of 10:00 P.M. most nights is typically a stretch for her.

Sorry if I come across as being something of a self-centered a-hole in verbalizing some of these thoughts, as that is not my intention. I truly feel for the challenges my wife faces and do what I can to ensure that her quality of life does not suffer unduly because of these. I signed up for the "For better or for worse" part 45 years ago, and plan to continue honoring that commitment. But at the same time, I also consider myself truly blessed to still being able to enjoy this good health of mine (for now), and that because of it, my ability to continue pursuing my crossdressing activities and being out and about as "Leslie" has not become diminished with time - at least from a physical perspective, anyway. Where it has become diminished, however, is in terms of the guilt I continuously feel vis-Ã*-vis my wife in being able to do the "girly" things that are no longer an option for her (how @ss-backwards is that!!), and how that, in turn, affects her already negative feelings towards my crossdressing...as if they needed any reinforcement...sigh!

"There, I said it!", as comedian Chris Rock would have put it. I now brace myself for the hordes of GG's and like-minded CDers here who are likely to come at me bearing pitchforks and torches, telling me in no uncertain terms just how full of sh*t I really am for even thinking this way...
    Last edited by Leslie Langford; 12-11-2016 at 04:02 PM.

Senior Member Read only Allison Chaynes's Avatar
    My wife is 35, had ankle surgery about 6 years ago and can't wear heels. I am not a huge fan of them either, but she has no problem with me wearing them if I want to. I realize this is vastly different from your situation, Leslie, but I can understand your point. Maybe go out of your way to compliment her on her outfits?

I don't think there are too many women out there who seriously pride themselves on their ability to walk in high heels. & I've got to say as a heterosexual male my own observation is that pretty close to 100% (lets' say 95%) of the older women I see out and about age considerably better then their husbands as far as physical appearance goes. And, at that, I'm just going to wait for Reine's response to your post....

Leslie, Thanks for putting your thoughts out there so well. Now, some may not like them, but I have many times thought the same as you after reading some of the responses here. I don't think that anyone can really speak for another, though they may get close. Without your wife's problems, or other wives with similar issues, I have no problem believing that some CD's can actually look better than their SO's and some other GG's. That does not mean that they completely pass or look more a woman than their SO's, though that is possible too in some not so common situations. If a woman can look bigger, stronger, rougher, and more intimidating than me also means that I may be able to look more feminine than her.

In situations such as yours, you are describing something that is more than possible. I just believe that it is possible in other situations as well. This is a visual comparison, not a mannerism, voice, hand size or a passing one, nor an up close, in your face inspection. I clearly realize that most of us will never be able to pass better than the originals. However, is some instances, more than some people here want to believe, it can and does happen. I had a close MtF transitioned friend join my family for Thanksgiving dinner. No one knew her roots, and they received her and accepted her as a women!

I appreciate that some feel here that we are infringing on the GG world and, therefore, they put GG's on pedestals and defend them against all wannabe impostors. In their opinions, no MtF can achieve the holy grail of looking good and really passing. I see it as we are joining their world as best we can, and that a very small minority of us can and actually do reach that goal.

Quote Originally Posted by audreyinalbany View Post
    I don't think there are too many women out there who seriously pride themselves on their ability to walk in high heels. & I've got to say as a heterosexual male my own observation is that pretty close to 100% (lets' say 95%) of the older women I see out and about age considerably better then their husbands as far as physical appearance goes. And, at that, I'm just going to wait for Reine's response to your post....
    Yes, I've already assumed the fetal position in anticipation of that...

I do not know, Leslie! My wife was handicapped and had Polio as a child. When I asked her about dressing, she said there is only going to be one woman in this relationship! I think it was mostly from insecurity as she was starting off fighting for her femininity. She wore skirts at the beginning of our life together and dresses for special occasions. I do not hold it against her and loved her dearly and ended up taking care of her the last few years. I did not crossdress (except forpanties about 3 times) while we were married. I started after she passed away. I do know that the handicap and aging was bad for her self-esteem. I can only imagine having a younger appearing "female" in the relationship! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Firstly thanks for your honesty and never being married or in a relationship where my dressing was an issue I really cannot relate but I can see your reasoning and logic in your words. I hope you haven't poked the hornets nest.
    "you are a strange species and there are many out there;shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you ,you are at your best when things are at their worst" ...[ Starman]
    It may of course be a bit disturbing to sense that one is really not so firmly anchored to the gender one was born into.

I think the key statement in this 'analysis' is when you note that your wife already has negative feelings towards your crossdressing. Whether your speculations have any merit or not is hard to figure given that she never liked it. Could be she just doesn't like it and this unstated rivalry is totally in your head - or maybe it is real - who knows? My wife also has some very significant physical challenges and there are multiple areas in which I can do and wear things that she cannot. The big difference is that my wife is very crossdressing positive and always has been. Should I wear high heels it does not make her resent me at all even though she has not been able to wear them in decades. Tell the truth I'm sure she would prefer I wear them far more than I ever will.

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    Leslie, I can relate to much of what you say. I am in the closet for now but I think my wife would be mightily upset if she saw me as Diane. She has numerous medical conditions which have had major impacts on the quality of her life. The major one is diabetes, and the various drugs she takes have caused her to become almost totally sedentary, which as a result have led to a major weight increase. Add to that she has athsma, and some physical ailments. One leg is slightly shorter and thinner than the other, her lower spine is fused and her back gives her problems. Sounds a long list and it is. So what does this mean, well her clothing choice is limited (by her) to baggy pants and tops, flat shoes and little else, the vicious circle of doing nothing except watching TV, eating and no exercise of any kind is taking its toll. I have spent a fortune on various items to help her get some weight off, to no avail and her future health issues worry me greatly. Now, in the near future I am going to have 'the talk'. She is going to want to see me as Diane, and you can see what I look like in my avatar. Seeing me in female mode wil be bad enough, findng out I'm slim, easily walk in heels, (she's said more than once she'd love to be able to wear them), am good at make-up and have good dress sense will not go down well, and that's not a boast but a fact. Do I dress down, or does that just deny my true self? An already difficult situation could become much worse. Leslie, you expect flak coming your way, I'll probably get some too, but that is my situation and no one on this forum knows what goes on in my house. On the other hand she might not react as negatively as I'm expecting, I wish I had a crystal ball.
    Here today, gone tomorrow....

Banned Read only
    I suppose I should sharpen the tines on my manure fork that's out in the shed. I read the question in the heading, but, it seems the dissertation has really nothing to do with the question. Oh, my wife started off at five foot two (still), sparkling blue eyes (still), 115 pounds (not), brown hair (gray) and in good health.

I thought my answer was going to be "Yes" my wife's health has interfered with my cross dressing. She is semi-retired. She can work five days a week or no days. Total flux. Not dependent on her income at all. Totally fun time funds. When she works from 8:15 AM to 3:45 PM I have plenty of Stephanie time. I usually attended to the domestic chores a la June Cleaver.

Unfortunately, back in April she needed and had back surgery. Rehab. Off work until September. Sigh! I was use to her being home during the summer which put Stephanie into the closet. But, just as she was finishing up her last physical therapy appointment she was diagnosed with breast cancer. So, she has taken off work for chemotherapy, to be followed by surgery; to be followed by radiation therapy.

And, I should be concerned whether or not she cannot wear heels anymore (fused big toe) or a size ..whatever a 115 pound woman pencils out to..dress.

Heck, I see a lot of really good looking older woman who are still happily married to their short, balding, pot bellied, infirm or disabled husbands.

I think it's time for me to sign off and get to bed and get my beauty sleep.

My sympathies to your wife's plight and her multiple, on-going and overlapping health issues - including the big "C" - Stephanie, which clearly overshadow my wife's. But then again, I sympathize with hers as well as indicated in my OP, so it's not all about me.

But I think you missed the point of my OP, which was not about the (sometimes related) lack of opportunity afforded to the crossdresser while a non-accepting partner is at home for extended periods of time recuperating from a serious health condition, and which appears to be the main thrust of your response. Yes, I have that challenge to deal with as well on top of the other one since my wife and I are both retired now and together virtually 24/7 - especially now that she has curtailed her outside activities considerably given her current mobility issues.

My point was all about attitude - resentment of a partner's good health and their ability to do things that the wife or SO can no longer do, and using their crossdressing as one more lightning rod for their frustration over their own personal situation.
    Last edited by Leslie Langford; 12-12-2016 at 09:08 AM.

Banned Read only
    No, I did get your point. There's two things at play here. One, is cross dressing curtailed or lessened due to retirement? Yes, I have wondered what will happen when my wife truly retires. Home 24/7, glued at the hip? That may be an upcoming challenge, which is no different than a younger cross dresser married to a stay at home wife with four kids. I'm sure he's shaking in his boots from lack of fulfillment.

Point 2, is whether a wife is going to be envious of her cross dressing man 'looking better' than her. My wife has been envious of the way I have matured as a man. A man who still gets smiles from women because I am still in decent shape including my greying/whitish hair. I'm sure women compare their body type and aging with women their age rather than any male wearing a dress. My wife always has said my legs are better looking than her legs and she is envious I naturally do not have to shave them.

Anyway, I did get your point. You should ask your question of your wife.

Leslie, interesting topic as one would expect would come from you. Yeah, we're both slowing down, imperceptibly on a year-by-year basis but we're definitely not what we were 10 years ago, 20 years ago, ... However, we are slowing down at roughly the same rate so neither of us cramps each others style. Given that, our energy levels tend to follow our interest levels, so we each have areas in which we cannot or choose not to keep up with each other. It is not an issue.

As far as the whole Michelle thing goes, our relationship remains "tolerant DADT" (she full well knows Michelle happens but requests to be spared the details) and that has not changed a whole lot over the years. Hugs, Michelle

For better or worse is right lol Excellent post Leslie! My wife has known, embraced, and mentored me since the beginning. Heck she helped create my style, taught me how to walk in heels, do make up, hair, etc and I owe her everything because of it. My dressing and fem side is a huge part of our life which has been fueled by our doing it together and exploring the boundaries of who we are and what we can be. It's been so incredible that it's almost surreal. Our common ground is pantyhose. We both have a huge affection for them and it's the core of our classy style.

Recently, she began menopause and her body is changing in to a 50+ woman shape, which has her in depression. Not so much in a bad way like many experience, it's just now she has no interest in dressing with me, having wild fun, and sex. As a highly charged sexual person, this change has been quite an adjustment and is teaching me lots of patience. I still dress when it's appropriate and remind her that she's still my hero and inspiration giving her lots of hugs and encouragement along the way. She's never been the vindictive type to lash out at something just to make herself feel better or because she can't do it. I think that's because we have established such a solid foundation together with Niki in our life. She knows that Niki provides tremendous balance and no matter what I'll be there for her. It's a bit trying at times, but I just keep smiling and remind her that she is the reason that my once hidden happiness is now an enjoyable part of our lives.
    I'm half the man I used to be, and twice the person that I once was...and Nothing beats a great pair of L'eggs. Be all you can be ladies! WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies, projects, or any other purpose - YOU DO NOT HAVE MY PERMISSION To Use Any Of My Profile Or Pictures In Any Form Or Forum Both Current And Future.

Leslie

Hi, yes I am still around!

Thank you taking time to compose such a well written and thought out post. It is post like these that make visiting the forum so enjoyable.

I know several girls who's wives seem to be more tolerant of their hobby because they are dependent on them as care givers. Both of the ladies I know said that as their wives became more dependent them, they stated to drop their protests knowing they really needed this persons help and were in no position to make demands.

It may seem harsh but it is a realty Your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie Langford View Post
    Sorry if I come across as being something of a self-centered a-hole in verbalizing some of these thoughts, as that is not my intention.
    I don't think you're self-centered or an a-hole. But I do think you adhere to a pattern of thinking that I've seen more among CDers than women.

There is no doubt that some (not all) women experience feelings of loss over their fading youthful vigor, health, and looks. I count among them, even though I don't like to admit it. I don't like graying hair, the development of love handles at the waist, aging skin, and less than youthful looking legs. I also don't like failing eye sight and hearing loss (deafness runs in my family). I would hate it if I suffered from arthritis and I do not like losing the razor-sharp memory I had in my youth when it comes to things like remembering all the vocab of a new language, remembering the syntax for programming languages, remembering everything I need when I go to the grocery store (if I forget to bring a list ), etc. But, I live with these things without worrying about it too much. The process of aging is not preventing me from enjoying life.

So if a wife's biological clock causes her to age faster than her husband, I can see where she might wish that she was aging at the same rate as her husband. But is this jealousy over her husband's ability to look "more feminine", or is it just an abstract wistfulness that her youth is fading and a desire to look as if she and her husband are the same age (and by extension, that they belong together). Or, might it be the wife feels as if she and her husband are growing apart. Many women stop chasing the evident signs of youth and beauty (clothes than enhance a woman's vigor and reproductivity) when they get past a certain age. It ceases to be important, which does make sense when we are past that stage in our lives. The key here is that it ceases to be important. We develop different priorities. I notice this among my female friends who are my age. If I had a female friend (my age), who still prioritized makeup, clothing, and other trappings of youth the way she did 20 or more years ago, I would not feel as if we had much in common. (A side note ... I do have one friend who can, like you, spend hours at a mall shopping for clothes just for the fun of it - although her thing is artsy, boho type clothes and not dresses and skirts. I've driven her to a large mall in a city a few hours away because she is my friend, but I'm bored to tears while she shops. Ten minutes in a clothing store is enough for me. lol)

So maybe your wife would like it if you and she were more on the same page in terms of priorities?

... or maybe she is among the percentage of women who prefer masculine husbands, not out of jealousy but because they do not prefer feminine men. There are women who feel this way judging by what many of our members report about their wives, although I don't know your wife and I don't know if this applies to her.
    Last edited by ReineD; 12-16-2016 at 01:15 PM.
    Reine

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I think you feel guilty that she has problems and you don't for the most part.
    Is it being self centered you ask?
    Yes it is in a way. Are you an hole? No not really.
    I agree with Reine on a lot of her post.

Thank you for your well thought-out, introspective, and objective reply to my OP, Reine. I guess I can now emerge from my self-imposed fetal position as the anticipated verbal "beating" resulting from you and the others here taking issue with my musings didn't really occur , which leads me to believe that I might have struck a chord of some kind after all.

And yes, you are quite right...my wife is one of those people who is very non-nonsense, black-and white, and hard-nosed when it comes to most things, but that is tempered with a very soft, sentimental inner core that puts family and family values first and foremost. Mama Bear is very protective of her cubs - grandchildren included - so much so that there are times when I feel that even as her husband whom she clearly loves deeply in many ways, there is still a "blood is thicker than water" aspect to our relationship when all is said and done. In other words, my wife would probably find it easier to accept it if one of our children or grandchildren were transgender or homosexual, rather than a non-blood (and potentially more easily disposable ) partner such as myself.

Reasons? A large family while growing up, a father dying while she was still a young teen and the ensuing financial hardship and insecurity, a loving but overwhelmed mother which required her to step up, take charge, and circle the wagons to keep the family unit intact and afloat? Always having to be the responsible, sensible, and mature one, as well everyone else's "rock"? Always searching in the back of her mind for that elusive "father figure" that was lost when her own father passed away? Finding me, and seeing in me all those traits she saw missing from her life, only to find out in due course (after marriage) that her "perfect" Prince Charming was - gasp! - a less-than-manly crossdresser. It does not compute! It does not compute!

And let's not forget that this was back in the 1960's and 1970's when the "men are men and women are women" binary was still sacrosanct, the concept of "transgender" was non-existent, and crossdressers were "transvestites" and therefore by definition, perverts - and likely not much better than pedophiles on the deviant scale.

So yes, there is a lot of what I call "baggage" that my wife carries with her from those younger days which still makes it hard for her to accept the whole notion of crossdressing, never mind the fact that her husband turned out to be one of "those people". Still trying to process that realization after all those years - and now finding her self-imposed notions of femininity and the attendant challenges to those through the double whammy of age and declining health adding to that burden - well, that's a daunting combination.

Sure, we'll continue to muddle through, but it's becoming an increasingly tough row to hoe with more and more challenges being placed in our way as time goes by on the road to full acceptance...

My SO has been giving me a lot of verbal abuse just recently, despite claiming initially that she had no problem with my crossdressing (which is why I have been very quiet on this board). In the last few days, she has been diagnosed with thyroid problems and the GP also commented that she is only now going through the menopause (in her late 50s) because back in September she stopped the HRT she had been on for about 20 years, following a hysterectomy.

So it seems there are medical reasons for her recent about turn on the issue of my crossdressing. But I do think that old ingrained attitudes die hard, and that there is also an element of innate prejudice, which still persists.

Thank you, Leslie, for your post.

My guess is that you will get a different response from anyone commenting on your post, so here is my/our perspective.
    My wife has just had her 80th birthday and my 80th is this Saturday. In April next year we will have been married for 60 years so we have had plenty of time to get to know each other.
    I have worn lingerie all my life with her approval, and her assistance when necessary. She bought me an epilator and has given me feminine things for presents.
    I have always assisted in the house, cooking, etc., but over the last few years her mobility has been more impaired to the point where she cannot stand for more than a few minutes and needs a wheel-chair to get around outside the house. As a result I am the cook, dish-washer, and general home help. My prize for this change in our relationship is that I can dress in skirts, blouses, dresses,etc., any time I feel like it, all with her genuine encouragement. She knows how much I enjoy it and we have settled into a comfortable older age.
    And at the risk of giving too much information we still have sexual activity but it is much less strenuous than it once was and we have reverted to our early teen methods of finger manipulation.
    Finally, I would like to mention and thank our part-time housekeeper who brings me special garments and helps me look after my collection.