Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Danish Girl.. ???

Danish Girl.. ???

Hello,

I watched about half of the movie "The Danish Girl" last night. At one point my wife asked me why I looked so sad. I couldn't tell her at the time, I'm thinking about it this morning. And it's mainly due to the fact that I relate so much with how the story is told. I was wondering how many here have seen the movie and what their feelings are about it.
    Joan Meredith,
    Slow to live the dream
    I'll get there when I get there

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    Yes Joan I've watched the whole movie and at the end my emotion came to the surface and I cried,
    As you I related in many ways to this very well made movie. I highly recommend it to all here in this group

MIDI warrior princess Amy Fakley's Avatar
    Too damn close to home. Good movie, but I guess I just identified with it too much.
    Watching it, filled me woth dread and sadness and paranoia ... in the end I just turned it off about half way through. I just couldn't take it anymore :-/
    "Why shouldn't art be pretty? There are enough unpleasant things in the world." -Pierre-Auguste Renoir

SJW and Proud of It! Christina D's Avatar
    I watched it for the first time a couple of months ago with my girlfriend. I hadn't yet told her that I was interested in crossdressing but had been thinking of doing so, so while I enjoyed it, it was a bit difficult to watch.

The part that got me the most was right near the beginning when his wife had him wear a dress and pose to complete her painting. When she leaves the room and looks down at his legs, rubs the fabric with his fingers, and starts to shake and sweat...urgh, it was too real.

All of us can relate to that movie

Like Amy, I very recently watched approximately 1/2 of the movie ( believe it was showing on HBO ) and simply HAD to go to another channel. The coming of age from being a modeling cd and progressing to tg and later risking life with ts surgery was simply too emotional for me to view. Her evolution hit such an emotional responsive chord that I simply had to change the station to something much less challenging such as " family feud ". The portion of the movie that I digested was too real, challenging & scary. I would like to view it in its entirety when I can approach the movie with a better perspective.

I enjoyed the film and connected to the cross dressing but can't relate to having an operation to have a womb put in her body. Looking up the "true" story is useful.
    Robbie

I have a wonderful supportive wife. We both watched the movie twice, followed by serious discussions. Our conclusions were that, for me, I could relate to the dressing part, but nothing more. I have or never have had any inkling to do any more than dress and look as feminine as possible. As complicated as our lives are, anything goes...follow your dreams wherever they take you. Best..

Not ever having experienced the degree of gender dysphoria that some of the responders here have to deal with - and still sitting firmly in the run-of-the-mill crossdressing camp - my reaction to the movie was not as emotional as some have described it.

If anything, I felt a profound sadness seeing the protagonist having a wife who was so understanding and supportive of "her" needs, even when she realized that for Lili to take her journey to its logical conclusion, it would change their relationship forever and eventually cause their marriage to disintegrate.

As someone firmly trapped in this purgatory known as "DADT", I can only dream of ever experiencing this level of empathy and support from my wife...

Silver Member
    Robbieatbest referred to the book on which the movie was based. I read it many, many years ago. She wanted so much to be a complete female that the last operation(s) was to implant a uterus, felloppian(sp?) tubes and ovaries. She knew the risks. It was her body rejecting these female organs and infection, as I recall, that caused her death. To thine own self be true, I guess. With so many different organs being transplanted these days, and the great advancements of medical knowhow, the transplant of female organs will happen, one day.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Really a depressing film to me from the parts I saw of it.

I as well watched about half the movie and stopped as my fiancee came into the room. I am firmly in the CD camp and feel no need to transition. However, as that perhaps her only fear is that I want to transition or want men. So I stopped watching.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

I watched the whole movie. I like these kind of movies. True story and an important part of history IMO. I'm not TS, but I'm part Danish!
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

I was in tears

Tears...It seemed like the entire back and forth between husband and wife was so the same as we[ my wife and I] had shared..It would have been a great movie even without the ending.Glad you saw it !

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny22 View Post
    Robbieatbest referred to the book on which the movie was based. I read it many, many years ago. She wanted so much to be a complete female that the last operation(s) was to implant a uterus, felloppian(sp?) tubes and ovaries. She knew the risks. It was her body rejecting these female organs and infection, as I recall, that caused her death. To thine own self be true, I guess. With so many different organs being transplanted these days, and the great advancements of medical knowhow, the transplant of female organs will happen, one day.
    Uterus, Fallopian tube, and ovary transplants have already been done - but only female-to-female so far. It's only a matter of time before that is added to the menu of modern-day GRS surgery options as well...

I wanted to watch when was in the teathres but I didn't find it, so two months later we watched with my wife.
    In those days I haven't told her that I'm bisexual and crossdresser so the movie was a romantic tragedy for her, my wife loves romantic movies.
    Later, when I told her the truth I could use the movie in my favor and help me to she could in part understand me.
    I experience similar feeling as Lili in the movie.
    HRT 042018; Full time 032019
    Orchiectomy 062020; gender& name legal changed 102020
    Electrolysis face begins 082019, in genitals for GCS 062021
    Breast augmentation surgery 012022
    GCS 072022; BBL 022023; GCS revision 04203;END TRANSITION

Saw this when it first came out with friends. A Non-Op TG a CD and wife and myself. This wasn't bad as Bio picks go. Some changes from actual to shorten content.

I could see where the CD and wife found some points disturbing, as in when Lili's wife wished for her husband back at times.

I understood her drive to become the woman she felt to be. She was one of the real pioneers for all future TS.

Joan,

Curious. What's your current situation with your wife? Are you open about your crossdressing, or is it still your inner secret?
    That lens adds an entirely different perspective on your reaction and how you were unable to tell your wife about your sadness. It would make perfect sense to me, if you've already come-out, to use the movie theme as an opportunity to talk about how you identified with the character(s).
    There resides within me a Woman, and she is powerful.
    She has been my Grace and Bearing on the stormiest seas.
    I could no more deny Her than I would my own soul.

I saw this movie when it came out in theaters . I went fully dressed as my girl self ,i got there in a cab and talked the whole way with the driver about how life is great and full of good surprises. it was cold as hell that night but i was warm with the idea of doing this adventure . As part of our plan , I met my supportive girlfriend at the theater she got there from work . . It was her idea that we see this together in a theater , and it was her idea that i be fully dressed enfemme .

We sat through the movie and watched as it reminded us of some details that are so very specific to the cd trans experience -- from both perspectives of the husband to that of his wife. .

I think it was a beautiful movie that gives only a small glimpse into all of this . two hours is barely enough time to get this kind of story out , but they did very well in doing so. I was happy to see the topic brought to mainstream movie goers.
    Last edited by barbara gordon; 12-12-2016 at 11:59 PM. Reason: spelling

Girl in disguise Emily Ann Brown's Avatar
    The movie way to close to home, just like Normal was. Just for information.. the girls are am close to find after along time on hormones they sexual partner interest changes. Em
    Living with a heel in each world.

I saw it at the movies with my DADT wife hoping it might provoke fruitful conversations. But I was dismayed by Lilli's callous treatment of his wife. The wife so obviously still loved him but he treated her appallingly in my opinion. (Sorry about the pronouns). What we both really loved about the movie was its painterly backgrounds. They were just glorious. In the end the fruitful conversations I'd daydreamed about didn't happen.

IleneD,

To answer your question. Yes, I'm out to my wife. She is even supportive, yet she has asked me to "please" don't take it all the way to GRS. She seems to be OK with FFS, and Top Surgery, just not bottom surgery. That is why I'm sad, because for the longest that is what I've wanted. For it to be gone, I've lost count of the journal entries that have that statement in them. My wife is the one that encouraged me to watch it. She has found been looking for movies that deal with cross-dressing, or transitioning for us/me to watch either together or by myself.
    Joan Meredith,
    Slow to live the dream
    I'll get there when I get there

Read the book and watched the movie, so sad for both Lili and Gerda... I could relate to quite a bit of it.
    Last edited by Becky Blue; 12-14-2016 at 05:23 AM.
    A.K.A Rebecca & Bec

I watched the movie and to be honest found it quite a poor representation of what we go through and feel emotionally and what our partners probably go through too, although I guess it's hard to fit things in quite a short movie. It didn't really touch on why she was like she was as much as I hoped it would do.

I am now scared to death to watch it.