Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Danish Girl.. ???

Just watched the trailer... Looks really interesting!

Well just to let you know I did finish the movie the other night. I liked it, even though it did make me sad. Because I know that a good bit of what happened in the movie could happen in my life. My wife got up and left the room after a while this time, at over half way through things really started to change in their relationship. I believe that it might have hurt her to see it happening, kind of like a possible foreshadowing effect. So, I'll be watching my wife for clues to when it is safe to talk about the movie and us.
    Joan Meredith,
    Slow to live the dream
    I'll get there when I get there

I agree with AnnaMarie; I found the movie lacking in certain aspects. It's definitely a good thing that the movie was created. It could have sparked a further discussion on the topics that eluded the script and what AnnaMarie pointed at.

However, there's a huge BUT. I found the movie somewhat reductive; there are far too many necessary thing left out (deeper characterization of Lili for example), and far too many unnecessary kept (the excessive focus on outer appearance as the pinnacle of feminity - or the ubiquitous question of what it means to be a woman). And I too want to echo Milli's comment on how to the movie depicted Lili's heartless treatment of her wife.

There is a similar movie of French origin that came out in 2014, The New Girl (Une nouvelle amie). Haven't seen it yet as I fear it will be a somewhat stereotyped depiction.

As a side note, The Sun did a piece (LINK) on how easy it is for men to pass as women after the movie went out.

I loved the Danish Girl, and afterward found the books about Lily to be quite fascinating. I'd see it again.

Aspiring Member
    My DNTA, KFB, ETR wife (Don't Need To Ask, Knew From Beginning, Enjoying The Ride) and I watched it as part of a binge with HBO's Mariela Castro Cuban LGBTQ documentary and HBO's new documentary The Trans List. We both thought was well done and Oscar-nom worthy. We both understood that it depicted the dawn of time for modern TG evolution. We would disagree that Lili was callous toward Gerda, rather that it accurately portrayed one spouse in the grip of a compulsion for which neither of them had a cultural context at the time, and with which both of them struggled to cope.

Her only concern halfway through was "I hope this doesn't end badly." It did, obviously, but we both felt it reflected more the audacity of a surgeon of that era attempting something that still is not perfected nearly a century later. With pain and infection control what it was pre-penicillin, it was a bridge too far.

My wife and I watched it together. she in her sweats, I in my vanity fair gown and robe.

For me the sensual part was when he modeled the shoe with the stocking and the dress. And I liked his dressing up.

When he posed nude and tucked, I thought that scene was intense.

What I found somewhat unsettling, probably because I am a Quentin Crisp affecianado,,, what how he dressed, so flamboyantly in that scene where he was accosted in the dance pavilon. I found his dress attractive, what I wish I could have worn when I was younger.

My wife pointed out several things to me.... she wore a scarf around her neck while lili.....and she kept her hands in the up position so that her veins wouldn't pop out,

As we were watching the show, I was reading her bio on wikipedia....it filled in a lot of the gaps. One other thing, she was a woman but she never grew out her hair, she still kept her boy cut.

I now know why so many are just into CDing. They get the release as soon as they put on the stuff. I watched the movie twice with two friends. I enjoyed it as I understood that lily wasn't playing. I think there is a difference in the acting side of CDing. Once my true side was let out it couldn't be put back. Lily became who she truly was. I don't think you make a man do that a few times and he would become to like it. To like it so much he would become the actor he was trying to portray. Only some one who was really that way, that truly felt that way inside would be able to complete the portrayal. I am not speaking of the actor who played Lily I mean playing a part to the fullest. I am like Lily in the since that I want to be seen as I am inside, but not the wanting to be with or liking men part. I would only have the operation if I could afford it and it would prove I am who I say I am. I loved the movie though. The actor that played Lily is now in the Fantastic Beasts And Where to Find Them movie. Will you watch that one?
    [COLOR="blue"]Contessa Marie D

I'm TG. A fem-male so I look male sometimes.

Dressing is necessary, the type of clothes you wear not so much.

This above all to thy own self be true!