Thread: Medieval Maiden - Historical garb crossdressing

Medieval Maiden - Historical garb crossdressing

Today I spent about 9 hours as a medieval Lady, attending an SCA feast while wearing a circa 1400's or so gown. Interacted with lots of people, and only had one person misgender me as male. And that was a casual comment by an instructor for a class I was taking, that "he" (clearly referring to me) had a particular item that was a shared resource, and which another attendee was asking about. I might even have mis-heard her. She might have said 'she', correctly. I just let it slide. Everyone else treated me like any other lady at the event. I even got a complement on my outfit from another lady, who was trying to encourage more members to wear later-period costumes like the one I had worn!

This outfit certainly isn't the most flattering thing in my wardrobe. It flattens my chest a bit, yet does nothing to flatten my tummy! But as far as I could tell, most of the people there accepted me fully as one of the girls.

The dress and under-dress were purchased on-line, and honestly are kind of generic costuming usually sold to people heading for a renaissance faire. But the full outfit worked out quite well over all, I think.

Oh, and I wasn't the only CD/Transgender person there. The group also has a popular member who is a FtM Transgender guy, who is also a casual friend of mine. So I knew, with how well they already accepted him as a male, that they should accept me equally well as a female.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ceera; 01-22-2017 at 02:54 AM.

Sounds like a fun outing and glad you enjoyed it.
    It looks like a lot of detail went in to your outfit
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

The only problem I see is eyeglasses had not yet been invented in the 1400's! LOL Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

It sounds like you had a great time! I enjoy costumes and period clothing as well, I used to have a complete Victorian outfit,but it didn't survive my revolving wardrobe. If I only had more Kimberly space. I purchased it from recollections, don't go to their site unless you want to misplace some money.

The SCA, or Society for Creative Anachronism, makes certain allowances for things like glasses, or wheelchairs, or other things that may not be strictly 'in-period', but which a member needs to enjoy the activities. While some competitions may require 100% accuracy, at most events all they require is a 'reasonable attempt at period garb'. I'm pretty blind without my glasses.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Who came up with that name?

Pirate Queen wannabe Maria Blackwood's Avatar
    First eyeglasses in Italy in late 1200s, so you're good.

Which name, Traci? You mean the Society for Creative Anachronism? That is a group founded about 51 years ago, by a group of people in San Francisco, CA. One part of the group was a bunch of writers and sci-fi fans and who were holding a going away party for a friend in a park in SF. They happened to choose a medieval dress-up costume theme for their party. They encountered another group in the park who were doing fencing practice, and invited them to join their party. An impromptu "tournament" was held, to crown the victor's lady of choice as the Queen of Love and Beauty for the day. Everyone has so much fun that they soon got together again. Not long after that they decided to make it a regular thing, as a non-profit organization, dedicated to learning about and teaching the positive aspects of the time period from the time attributed to the reign of King Arthur (500 AD) to the reign of Elizabeth I (1600 AD). They chose that name for the group because they were having fun dressing up and learning about stuff from the 500 AD to 1600 AD time period, but weren't too picky about the occasional anachronism, like someone in period garb wearing a wristwatch or glasses. As I recall, SF writer Robert Asprin was one of the founding members...
    Last edited by Ceera; 01-22-2017 at 05:56 PM.

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    So long as you had a good time and enjoyed yourself that is the main thing. Won't lie and say I like the outfit but getting to act in a female role has always appealed to me. I played Lady McBeth in a school play way back in 1979 (it was an all boys school..)
    Here today, gone tomorrow....

I have worn Mary Antoinette and Elizabethan gowns to similar parties and mead festivals.

Great fun, nobody is looking at the original gender of the person..... Only other Cross Dressers. :-)
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Looks like fun

Silver Member
    Ah yes, the SCA! I remember being a scout in the Shadow dancers, members of the Winged Hills Barony. My wife joined me at The Pensic War in 1990 I belive. She thought they were too weird for her, kinda like crossdressing now.
    Cerra, I triple dog dare you to wear the garb of a wench from the Horde! They used to say you could get two costumes from one rabbit.

Sounds like a great time, I love the outfit all fun stuff to join in with
    OMG!! Owning my femininity .... and I LOVE it!

Meghan, I doubt I could do that with less than two full rabbit skins. I measure 48-36-44, with a 40-D cup, and would need enough up top to cover my breast forms. But I have worn a bikini in public before, so otherwise the skimpy coverage wouldn't bother me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by MariaOfCalifornia View Post
    First eyeglasses in Italy in late 1200s, so you're good.
    Quite right! Mind you, they didn't have Brooks Brothers frames...

Platinum Member
    The Edward Hyde, 3rd Earl of Clarendon, who was the governor of New York and New Jersey (1701-1708) wore women's clothing openly. His portrait hangs in the New York Historical Society. Mayor Giuliani of New York City also wore women's clothing and it is not known whether is he is a professed cross dresser or just did it for a lark. I've not seen any video of what he may have worn to any of the inaugural balls.

Just a little bit of history. Any way you look nice.

I'm not able to see the picture but it really sounds like fun. Congratulations!

We definitely need more mass costume events where people can wear whatever they want, just by being 'in character' just think of what we could get away with.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.