Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Have you tried to give up dressing against your desires? How long did you last?

Have you tried to give up dressing against your desires? How long did you last?

There's an interesting thread at the moment about retiring from crossdressing, if such a thing is possible. The general consensus is it will eventually draw you back. Which got me thinking. Have you made a decision to give it up and how long did you last?

I'm not talking about the loss of desire that many of us experience (I lost interest for almost 25 years). But I've never tried to give it up against my desires. Have you and if so, how long did you last and what made you try?
    Last edited by Sarah Louise; 12-17-2016 at 01:42 PM.
    A girl can never have too many dresses

Aspiring Member
    Maybe 10 or 12 years, after a purge.

Yes , only for a short time less than a week

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    I did, it wasnt by choice, but rather my situation. It is a familiar story.

My car died...like completely died.
    Lost my job cause I couldnt get to work anymore.
    Lost my apartment cause I had no job.

Sometimes when life slaps you in the face you have to prioritize .

I put everything down and focused on getting life back in order.

Took a while ( and I gained like 40 pounds )

Thru hard work ( especially in the gym LOL ) ..I got back on track, and came back better, stronger, faster LOL XOXO

I don't think I am strong enough to try to give it up.

Banned Read only
    Sarah,
    No the inner feeling just won't let me, when it's there 24/7, waiting for the next opportunity is bad enough.

If I can't dress I'll take a look around the charity shops or pop in and see some friends who'll probably want to see some pictures.

How can you retire from dressing? When your whole life the last thought before sleep is I hope I wake as a woman!
    No I don't think I could ever retire
    It is part of me
    Rosie

I stopped dressing for around 15 years and for a good proportion of that time, I didn't even think about dressing. Then after wearing a kilt, it gradually came back (desire, want, urge, need)...

After my bride-to-be and I had "the talk", I agreed to let her take my stash and see if I could kick the habit. Lasted six weeks. Hugs, Michelle

It partly depends upon why you are crossdressing in the first place. Then, add into it whether you get sexually excited from it, and if you feel guilty for doing it. Lots of things contribute to whether you'll be able to stop crossdressing. From my mid twenties well into my thirties I stopped; I really thought that I had 'beaten it', that the desire was gone. It seemed that when everything else in my life was going well, my subconscious was able to repress the desire to crossdress, so I didn't find any need for it, or even ever think about it. But apparently, it remained in the background, like a smoldering ember in a fire, just waiting for that rush of oxygen (turmoil in my life) to make the flames burn hot again. During my 'dormant' period, all my emotional and sexual needs were being met; so, little frustration in life. When that ended, so did my ability to ignore the desire to crossdress.
    So for the techies among us, it's like in order to keep the desire to crossdress under control, our minds use (x) number of cpu cycles, all the time. And that's fine, until some other chores require 100%, and then the ability to repress the desire to crossdress goes away, and it comes to the forefront of our consciousness. Once there, it's like trying to put toothpaste back in the tube. Not going to happen, only time and a return to stability will decrease the desires again.
    JMHO.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Aspiring Member
    I've quit several times. Probably the longest I lasted was a couple of months.

Hi Sarah...wow...25 years...what a surprise! You are beautiful. When you post pictures, I'm always amazed and smile.
    I'm one of us who risked it all and told her before the nuptials. Her surprising acceptance and loving support was the best thing that's ever happened to me. Even though I didn't lose interest or need, I thought I could give it up or tone it down...Nah. That never worked for me. I tried, but failed. When I told her what I was doing...she asked me "why". I really couldn't explain it. The beautiful blouse she bought me...and I still wear it...sealed the deal. Keep posting your pics. 👗

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    I've never tried to give up, in fact I'd have spent far more time dressing in the right circumstances.
    Here today, gone tomorrow....

I tried once because I thought I could just "kick the habit" lol. I lasted about 5 weeks.

Two times I tried, two times I failed.

When my first girlfriend dumped me, I stopped crossdressing not because I wanted to, but because I had nothing to wear. After 4 and a half years of struggling, ignoring, and fighting it I bought several pieces of underwear. Few months later I felt so ashamed and disgusted of myself that I purged everything. I was so adamant that I would stop crossdressing no matter what. Almost 6 month later I gave in and my wardrobe has been expanding ever since.

Stand-up Comedian En Fem❤ Alice_2014_B's Avatar
    I've taken a hiatus from time to time when life gets too busy.
    They just kind of happen, not really by choice.
    That's just hiatus from fully dressing; during such I'll still hang around the apartment and back deck in heels and drab, possibly a skirt as well.

Melissa: "... and why are you dressed as a woman?"
    Coach McGuirk: "Because it's freeing."

-Home Movies
    (cartoon series)

Shoe size: 9 US women's.
    Dress size: M to L; 8-10.
    Height: 5' 6".

Aspiring Member
    I took an 11 year break. We I got married I decided nit to burden my wife with my dressing. I had my one and only purge ( a week before the wedding, just in case). I never really lost the desire, it did come and go. The only exception was on a business trip I bought a bra & panties. Then last year was a particularly stressful time and the flood gates broke. I told my wife before I purchased anything. She was not overly thrilled. After a couple days of research she told me that it would be ok for me to start again. If everything was normal last year I do not think I would be here to day.
    Sara

The only time I actively tried to quit was in high school, and I lasted about three years. But in senior year, I stopped caring about what other people thought of me. Other times I stopped dressing up were caused by stress. When I'm stressed out, I don't really have the motivation to make mysef look super nice.

Banned Read only
    Never. Life inserted itself and pushed things tot gebäck, but I never "gave it up."

The hardest thing in my life was when I quit smoking, but I believe it's easier then to quit dressing.

There have been times when the desire was low and there have been many times where there was no opportunity but it has always been a part of me. Ever since my cousin put her boots on me at age 5 the desire has been there. My 20's were probably the time when I dressed the least, but that was probably due to opportunity and circumstance more than desire. I remember during the invasion of Iraq I would just lay down close my eyes and dress in my head.

Tried not dressing for about two days once.

My girlfriends then boycotted me and I was not allowed to go with them on a Saturday night jaunt.

Get a frock on or else. :-)
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Girl in disguise Emily Ann Brown's Avatar
    When she found out about me...I agreed to stop and go to a counselor....I didn't break my promise for 6 months. Then she stepped up the checking and attacks....when she say she was telling the kids I was GAY, I told them myself so that what they heard was the truth and not her brainfarts. At 6 months I said way bother now that the family knows. Since then I have only female underwear and tights. I now sometimes going a week only male outer clothes. Em
    Last edited by Emily Ann Brown; 12-18-2016 at 12:16 AM.
    Living with a heel in each world.

I tried to stop so many times when I was a teenager and in my 20s. I could give things up for a little while, but the desire always came back.

I was more or less forced to give up dressing due to ill health and my living situation, not dressed for nearly 2 years cant see a time when i will get back into it