Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It Finally happened on the road

It Finally happened on the road

Well, we've all thought about it and dreaded that it would happen and yesterday it did.
    I was on my way to our house in another state for a few days to do some upkeep and I decided (with wife's approval) to dress for the trip. I had on a sleeveless crinkle blouse in white, a shortish summer skirt that is white with small yellow flowers on it and white flats. Full dress for the few hours to the house.

Off I go on the interstate and then a change of direction onto another and as I'm coming down the connecting ramp I see white smoke in the rear view mirror. A look at the gauges and I see it's overheating. Soon as a make the other roadway I pull off to the shoulder and I see a cloud of steam under the hood and smell the anitfreeze. OMG now what??

I pop the hood and go look and there's antifreeze everywhere except of course in the overflow or the radiator. A moment of panic sets in. Do I move everything around and find my baby wipes, polish remover and a change of clothes?? My God it's 11 a.m. and wouldn't you know it there's a state trooper on the other side just letting someone go after a stop. Is he going to come over here and see if I'm ok. A million things race through my mind, none of them calming.

Well, he doesn't come over, but as I'm rechecking the engine a passerby stops to see if I need help. I go to his car and tell him I'm fine I'm calling for a tow and thank him for stopping and he drives off. One down, how many more to come??
    I call the assistance people and they take all the information. I'm guessing it will be a few hours till they get here so do I change before they do or not?? They send me a text, he'll be there in 20 minutes. So much for that idea. I'm staying dressed and that's that. I do change into jeans though (the skirt is a little short) and as I finish ... here comes the DOT roadside assistance truck. Again, Thank You for checking on me my tow will be here shortly and off he goes. 2 Down.

15 minutes later here comes my tow truck. I get out and tell him (or try to) that the vehicle is in neutral, keys in the ignition but the traffic is so loud I have to shout. So much for my feminine voice !!
    Of course it's a young man, maybe 28, and as he puts the vehicle on his flatbed I climb in the cab for the ride home. Luckily I'm only 25 miles away so I don't have to be towed to some shop somewhere and all that that would entail.
    He secures everything and jumps in and off we go. He gets a few calls along the way so there's not much time for chatting (Thank God) and to my comfort he's professional all the way. We reach home and before getting out I tip him, which surprises him and thank him for being so professional. Not a word was mentioned about my attire or anything else.
    3 Down!!

It was scary at first, but now that I'm no longer a Virgin at this I have to say my first time wasn't at all bad. Everyone I encountered was helpful, respectful and considerate.
    Yes it can happen, and it did. I survived and I'm stronger for it. All I can say is be prepared if you travel, you never know what might happen.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Cheryl,

Congratulations!

See your fears of peasants with flaming torches and pitchforks were groundless.

Next time you won't even thing twice about doing this.

Sorry about your car. Getting past the fear is the key. As you have seen you can do this. Most people are good people, have their own lives and just don't care.

Cheryl,
    Sorry to hear that you had car trouble but it's nice to know that you didn't have any negative reactions or comments, from my experience if you're just being yourself all is well.

Silver Member
    I always carry male clothing, just in case. I would have changed in the car before I called for help. I'm happy for you, Cheryl, that it went well.

Aspiring Member
    Cheryl, amazing story thanks is for sharing. I have, when I dared to dress and drive, in hindsight thought about the what ifs...

Like others happy it worked out well for you.

My heart would have been in my throat... X

I always have my man clothes and baby wipes when I leave the house just in case something like this happens. Sounds to me like everything happened too quick to change and based on my limited experience being out while dressed, no one makes a big deal out of it.

Oh Cheryl you brave, brave girl. I would have dove in the trunk and changed as fast as I could........ Sorry about your car and the interruption to your trip, but thank you for posting this and reminding us that things can happen.
    When I am still and quiet, people who do not know me think, Oh how cute she's shy.
    People who do know me think, OMG RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Girls will be boys and boys will be girls It's a mixed up muddled up shook up world except for Lola

Glad to hear that everything went so well for you under the circumstances, Cheryl, but I would imagine that given the increased visibility of us TG folks these days as well as the on-going media fascination with our "tribe" that frequently showcases us and speaks to our issues, I guess that is becoming more of the norm these days as opposed to the exception.

My "Moment of Zen" occurred a few years ago when I unexpectedly happened upon a police roadside sobriety checkpoint just before Christmas while in full "Leslie" mode. Panic gripped me initially as did fleeting thoughts of turning around before they spotted me ("iffy" at best, and NOT a good idea under the circumstances), and then acceptance of the unfortunate situation I had found myself in and gritting my teeth while expecting the worst.

In the end, it was a non-issue. The policeman who approached my car was polite, and despite sticking his head through the open window and coming within 6" of my face to see if he could detect the smell of liquor on my breath never let on that anything might be amiss and "Ma'am-ed" me throughout. Since that time, I have been totally fearless about going out in public en femme and engage easily with others when doing so.

FDR was so right when he famously said that we have nothing to fear but fear itself...

Understanding how much of a hurdle it can be to venture out into public in baby steps, I'm sure that was terrifying to take that small step and then see smoke coming out from under the hood so,far from home! I'm glad that it all,worked out though and you had a "good" experience lol- aside from your car being on the side of the road with the hood up! Lol

But, I'm guessing that the hours spent at the roadside and the impending repair bill will somehow be easier to deal with after having the entire terrifying experience turn out to go pretty smoothly with the numerous people you encountered during all of it! Lol just think of that when your writing out the check to the garage!

I never had a breakdown while out dressed but i did get pulled over once which is a long, old story. The first time I did go out dressed fully, my SO ran over something and we pulled off to a gas station parking lot where I got out to check i not even thinking how I was dressed until I got back in. Glad every turn out ok (except for your car).
    Flip Flops were made for Beaches & Bath Houses, We have neither in 2017. Lose the flip flops!

Very well handled and makes a great story. Reminds me of when I had to ask a female and male police officer for a ride home. Fully dressed. A long story and now a great memory.

I think a lot of times the fearful situation is just in our heads.

I've posted over the past month and a half about how I've pushed my envelope by getting a makeover and buying a couple of wigs.

A couple of weeks ago I went for a makeover. It was Saturday (the busiest day) and I found my self in the middle of about 20 GGs (customers and makeup artists). No one seemed to care. I owned who and what I was and had a great time. I was in drab but was treated just like one of the girls. It was as if they knew how to push my buttons. We talked openly about being pretty and feminine in terms of what makeup can do. I had my makeup done and we had a nice chat about crossdressing.

For the wigs I initially went for two "consults" where I could try all the styles I wanted before making a decision. This was not in a private viewing area, it was in the shop area with all of the other customers (female). No one cared or bothered me. Everyone minded their own business. The SAs treated me like any other customer. I owned who I was and my right to be there (in drab mode). Last weekend I went in to make the first purchase. It was Saturday (the busy day). Customers all over the place. I did my makeup because I wanted to see the full effect, but I was still in drab mode. There were several men there accompanying their wives. Everyone minded their own business. I was even looking for some eye contact and was prepared to engaged them in conversation (as least say hi) if the opportunity presented itself. It didn't. Everyone averted their eyes as a way of being respectful and sticking to their own business. I had a nice visit with the SA who thought I did a nice job on my makeup (my first solo attempt) and bought my very first wig. I went back again last Friday and purchases a second wig, and again no issues.

These were the first times Sweetdreams was presented to anyone other than my wife (or past GFs) as a crossdresser and proud of it. I owned it and everyone was very accommodating. Never saw the mob with torches and pitchforks wanting to burn me at the stake. So far as I've presented my self to the world, the world has said OK. Now that I have the whole package together (wig, makeup, clothes) I need a little more practice pulling it together, but I have plans on getting Sweetdreams out the front door to see what happens. So far I'm encouraged.

The saying "we have met the enemy and he is us" might hold some truth for us. I'm intent on doing the best with what I have and seeing where I end up and the experiences I will have......

Silver Member Majella St Gerard's Avatar
    Sorry about the car but what were afraid of?

That's really a wonderful story, Cheryl (except for the break down). I know it was stressful, but you did great! Thanks for sharing. Now if it ever happens to me, I'll think about you and how it turned out just fine!

This is something I worry about too. I'm glad it all worked out well for you.

Glad that this event went well for you. Hope your repairs are quick and easy.
    Teri Ray Rural Idaho Girl.

We've all had these fears, but unless you are an escaped felon, there is really nothing to fear. A person had a car problem and another person did their job and assisted, just like it should be. Glad it all worked out and another of countless examples here of why we have nothing to be afraid of.
    Visit Kandi's Land (http://www.kandis-land.com/) daily! Nothing but positive and uplifting posts!
    Pictures and stories of every time out: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131254150@N06/.

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    Great story. I keep wondering, with my increasingly old and unreliable car when (not if....) this will happen to me..
    Here today, gone tomorrow....

I have rarely ever been on the road while dressed, but this is easily my worst fear! I drive like the cops are behind me when I am on the road dressed!

Same thing happened too me. Radiator blew. I called a tow truck then went into Starbucks and had a latte. Tow driver was a little surprised but totally professional. Then called Uber for a ride home. Nice talk with the driver.

I freaked at first then just went with the flow. When I realized I had no choice it seemed just natural to interact and move forward. I look back at the experience fondly.
    Live and let dress.

Wow! I'm seriously impressed with the way you handled the situation. I have no idea what I would've done. I'm just glad it all ended well and to hear you weren't treated badly. Thank you for sharing that!

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    You knew the only thing you could do was own the situation so kudos to you well done.

I had been out many, many times before. Usually with my wife aboard as that made her more comfortable. As she said, "at least I can dial 911 for you" just in case there was an incident...lol, funny part was she didn't have a cell phone.

I had thought about what I would do, but hoped I'd never have to find out. Now I know.
    I'll be back on the road as soon as the car is fixed. Not shy anymore, will just be more prepared.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria Demeanor View Post
    Oh Cheryl you brave, brave girl. I would have dove in the trunk and changed as fast as I could........ Sorry about your car and the interruption to your trip, but thank you for posting this and reminding us that things can happen.

I thought about it until I found out I only had 20 minutes till the tow arrived. Not enough time to find everything, remove makeup and nail polish and look calm...so I just bit the bullet and thankfully all went well.

Quote Originally Posted by Majella St Gerard View Post
    Sorry about the car but what were afraid of?

The unknown mostly. What would be the reactions of those I encountered? Would there be a homophobe in the tow truck?
    The first time is scary, but thankfully I was more annoyed at the car and that tempered my feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    You knew the only thing you could do was own the situation so kudos to you well done.

Thanks Tracii and all for the good wishes and thoughts.
    I've been out lots and always said that Confidence was our key to blending in. Now I have had the opportunity to take my own advice.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

What gentleman DOESN'T want to help a beautiful damsel in distress.
    Loved the story. Sweet ending.
    There resides within me a Woman, and she is powerful.
    She has been my Grace and Bearing on the stormiest seas.
    I could no more deny Her than I would my own soul.