Thread: Hats over wigs in the cold? What do you do?

Hats over wigs in the cold? What do you do?

Yikes it is cold in New York this week, in drab I am egg bald and always wear a hat, in milder weather my wig is warm enough, but I don't know what to do in this cold. If I wear a hat large enough to fit over my wig, I'm at high risk of taking the wig off with it - or of having both blow off in an icy gust. Today I'm planning to try a kerchief. What do you all do?

Silver Member
    Holy heck, haven't you heard? Hair hats are hot. Helpful handy hint? Ok half hearted attempt at humor. Have your haberdasher help you
    Last edited by Meghan4now; 12-20-2016 at 01:13 PM. Reason: hedging my bet

In terms of practicality and keeping warm, my wig is enough of a hat for me. But I may wear a loose-fitting beanie or beret if I feel like it goes well with my outfit. Holy cow. I'm a sucker for berets.

How about a pretty scarf that looks better than the old babushka's? Just remember to smooth down your hair once indoors again, because cold weather, fabrics and hair tend to generate static electricity which can make your hair stand on end!

Usually, my wig is enough of a head cover. However, I do have two warm coats that also have hoods which I can use (carefully) if I need to.
    Hugs, Carole

Just being true to myself Jolene Robertson's Avatar
    Just the wig for me, but I wear one all the time whether dressed or not. Just change the style for guy mode.

So I was sporting a beanie over my wig during one of my morning walks last week. For just out and about the wig is enough.

If it looks good, do it!
    Be yourself. Everyone else is taken!

Pirate Queen wannabe Maria Blackwood's Avatar
    (Reads thread)

(Heads out to workshop to invent wighat)

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Hair hats LOLOL look up Tommy Sotomayor or TNN raw on you tube he will explain what a hair hat is.

I have a similar conundrum with wigs and motorcycle helmets. I haven't solved that one. If you have a hat that doesn't cling too much, there are things you can do to improve the grip of the wig -- toupee tape, etc. I use a wig band, which is a stretchy band that wraps around your head and has a velvet surface facing out that grips the wig. Works great in high wind and such, but I'm pretty sure it's taking advantage of my natural hair to stay put. Since you're bald, I don't know how that will work for you. It's not strong enough to take the high friction of a full-coverage motorcycle helmet coming off. Half helmets are OK.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

Well the good news is that etiquette states that if you are wearing a hat, unlike a man, you are not obligated to remove it when indoors. So you don't HAVE to worry about the wig coming off.

If the wig and hat both fit, it should not be a problem. I have several hats I wear with my wigs. Wig tape or a wig band help, even if bald as an egg. If you have typical male pattern baldness, a net wig cap can be pinned to what little hair you may have, and the wig worn over that, pinned to the net cap, and it will stay put quite well.

I have also dared to do such things as pulling off a sweater over my head while wearing my wig, in a crowded bar. I did have to be a bit careful, but I didn't lose the wig or have it slip.

Pic is me with a foxy knit cap, as I went out today to the mall and shopping.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ceera; 12-21-2016 at 07:51 PM.

I too have no hair on my head. I ventured outside for my first time this last weekend wearing a knitted hat over my wig and a scarf. I thought it looked great and was warm as well. The hat was loose fitting and when I took it off the wig stayed in place.
    I was told I have balls for wearing skirts! My reply? "That's because balls this big won't fit in pants!"

Wig and hat in winter, it looks better that way.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Aspiring Member
    Most of the time, my wig is my hat. When I want to wear a hat that I will put on and take off, a mesh wig cap, hair pins, and wig spray give me some confidence. I have grown adept at where to hold my wig, usually holding it by the bangs while sliding by hat off the back of my head on one smooth motion. Then I quickly brush down my hair with my hands and reposition my bangs with my fingers. Yes, it does take practice.
    Last edited by abby054; 12-23-2016 at 11:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley Sims View Post
    Wig and hat in winter, it looks better that way.
    I agree! I have worn a hat both times when I have gone out. Picture is before putting on my jacket and a scarf.

IMG_5142 600.jpg
    I was told I have balls for wearing skirts! My reply? "That's because balls this big won't fit in pants!"

A silk scarf over the wig before putting on the helmet allows the helmet to slide over the wig. When taking the helmet off, hold on to the scarf and the wig will stay. Just have to fluff up the wig again.
    At some point your life will flash before your eyes......MAKE SURE IT'S WORTH WATCHING !!

I love hats. In the upper midwest a hat is almost required if one is going to be out for extended periods of time. Wind is also an issue here. Nothing like spending a hour or so getting your hairdo to look just right, only to be met with 30 mph. winds. I will wear a nice silk scarf over my head, and don't care what people say. It keeps the do in place.

I will also wear a nice wool hat on occassion too. But, like someone said woman arent required to remove them. The wool hat is only taken off at home, after an outing and prompt hair care is required afterward, due to the static.

Hat hair, is horrific on anyone. LOL.

Aspiring Member
    Like Periwinkle, I love berets, and they slip off fairly easily without pulling the wig off.

One of my wigs has 3 small combs built into it which grip my own hair in such a way that the harder you try to pull the wig off, the more they grip, so it's not going anywhere until I want it to. In fact, if I forget I'm wearing that one, it's sometimes quite painful when I try to take it off.

u are so lucky Holly, I have no hair to speak of. And less. But in my nw avatar photo you can see the solution I found - learn to wear a head-scarf

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Get some wig tape Jackie that should help.