Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sick to my stomach.

Sick to my stomach.

I have a lot to think about. So much on a subject that I feel sick to my stomach and I am truly scared.

Friday at work I was wrote up for something stupid. I had been doing this because of what the boss stated to me some time ago.

As I was being wrote up, I tried to apologize and explain that I had thought what I was doing was alright by him based on our conversation.

He looked me right in the face and told me a few things with an expression of pure hatred on his face.

One, no matter what I did, it wouldn't matter. I could get Lawyers or anyone I wanted and it wouldn't matter. Yes, he was threatening me.

Two, he flatly denied my words calling me a liar and as such I was an ENEMY. Yes; liar and enemy are his choice of words.

Three, he placed me on Probation until January of 2018. What that means is if I even put one toe in the wrong place it's an automatic three day suspension.

My gut is telling me that his treatment of me of late is motivated by my impending transition at work. As far as I know, I have not done anything job performance wise to warrant any of this.

I'm trying to not let this bother me. But, I keep feeling sick to my stomach. Mostly because I do not wish for this person to be anywhere near me at all out of fear.

On the bright side. I will be looking into what my options are at this point.

First, I have someone with experience with something like this in my Family I can talk to for advice.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate them. My biggest problem with this is I need to take action with the least impact on my Family. That means I can not afford to loose the money I do have coming in to take care of my part of the house hold as well as what I do need for my Transition.
    The source of fear is in the future
    And a person freed of the future
    Has nothing to fear

"That's life. It's not always rainbows and farts. Sometimes the farts have a little something extra." -Emma

Rock meet Hard Place.

Untitled
    Oh hell Emma, this is not the time you need to find out that you have been mislead. I cannot offer advice because the laws etc which govern your employment are so different to ours.

I can, as will most of, if not all of, the ladies on this forum give you as much moral support as we can and I hope that you can get some good advice from those who can help you more than I can.

Hugs and in my thoughts
    Listen carefully to what is said, quite often you can hear what is not being said

The joy of correcting a mistake can bring pain to another

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    I work in a similar environment that occasionally becomes caustic. But, I do have the resources of an understanding HR department and the added support of a shop steward. Find out where you stand about being threatened with your job as I do believe that is illegal. You may want to consider going over this person's head. A-hole managers really start to sweat when you start up their food chain. But certainly entertain the knowledge of someone that is well versed in such matters. And, just a thought, I keep the gender thing as a last resort but to survive until retirement, I wouldn't hesitate if it was a last resort.
    Good luck to you. I've been there. Not fun.
    Last edited by Rianna Humble; 12-26-2016 at 02:13 AM.
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

Take notes, Emma, lots of notes. Keep a journal on what happens everyday. Record actions, orders, requests, attitudes, reactions. Everything. If this is personal, you've at least got a record to fall back on. Your HR folks should have procedure to do this to protect yourself from poor management skills or even bullying by management. As for now, keep your nose clean and plot your defense. Stay calm and let this idiot hang himself. Good luck!
    Be yourself. Everyone else is taken!

Silver Member
    You're being worked out. If you have an employee relations dept, get them engaged to keep things as above board as possible, but it probably won't change anything. If you can work out a transfer, try for that.
    Lea

Hell-o Emma,
    If I were you, any future meetings with your boss should be
    conducted with someone else present.

I'm by no means familiar with any of this stuff, but...
    Federal laws are in place to protect you...
    https://www.eeoc.gov/eeoc/newsroom/w...bt_workers.cfm
    Best of luck.
    Much Love,
    Kristyn
    I smile because you are my friend, and
    I laugh because there is nothing you can do about it!!!

Thanks every one that has chimed in so far.

Know this, I have had similar situations to this. But not anywhere near to this degree of hostility. I would like to figure out how to get him out of this location and into the Whitfield Mental Health Facilities (State Mental Facility), which is just down the road. I think my own emotions are on high from the hormones at the moment and that isn't helping matters on my end.

Seriously, I'm having a hard enough time dealing with my own holiday blahs and blues as it is. I don't need any of this at all from work.

On a less serious related note. I really love my youngest Nephew. He works at the same place I do. That day he could tell I was rather upset all day. When we were about to hop onto my bike and go home for the day because we both worked the same shift that day for a change; he threatened to place plastic wrap on the seat of the toilet of the person that ruined my day that day. The look on his face after I told him what happened at home was priceless. I told my Nephew that he doesn't need to do that, but his simple thought of standing up for his Aunt helped just a little.
    Has nothing to fear

"That's life. It's not always rainbows and farts. Sometimes the farts have a little something extra." -Emma

Rock meet Hard Place.

Reality Check
    Without knowing exactly what happened at work, what sort of place you work at and your past history at the workplace, it's impossible to say anything helpful. We have just your side of the story, not your boss's side. Your statement that "I would like to figure out how to get him out of this location and into the Whitfield Mental Health Facilities (State Mental Facility), which is just down the road." doesn't help your case.

Remember, a "job" is an opportunity, not a God given right. It's an opportunity for you to earn money for performing a task for someone else. I suggest you do your very best to do what you are supposed to do, the way you are supposed to do it and do your best to fit in and not cause trouble. Jobs are not always fun and even in the most pleasant jobs, there will be times when you want to complain or walk out. If you want to keep your job, you sometimes have to adjust your expectations.

Silver Member
    I'd start looking for another job just in case. It is far easier to find a job while you still have one then after you lose the existing once, especially if you are unemployed for a while. Take it from someone who was once in a similar position. I wish I had started looking for a job when things started getting bad, rather than just try to just hold on and hope it would work out.

This is especially true if you are in an "at will" state, where you can be fired for any reason, and for none at all.

Reality Check
    Looking for another job may be a good choice at this point. Sometimes things have gotten bad enough that they cannot be fixed. On the other hand, prospective employers look at a history of bouncing from one job to another as a sign of a potential problem employee. You have to decide what will work best for you.

While your job advice might be useful in a general sense, Krisi, we have no indication that Emma Beth is a bad employee, even by your lights. It seems that her boss has an enmity toward her based on her gender situation, and that there is no way for her to make him happy. So despite the fact that we are hearing only Emma Beth's side of the story, I think we are getting a pretty clear picture of the situation. And to be candid, don't we always hear only one account and trust that our forum member is trying to be honest and accurate.

Lallie
    Last edited by Starling; 12-26-2016 at 03:32 PM.
    Time for a change.

Unfortunately I've been in similar situations in a state that is supposedly the best protected in the country. Document everything and go limp on them as much as possible. If there is a union, go to them and describe what has happened, not what you think the reason is; if no union, contact HR and a labor attorney at least to let them know there is a problem. ASAP. If what I think is going on is, they are looking for any excuse to fire you and it very likely comes from upstairs; how far upstairs is a good question. Take nothing for granted and be very careful what you say and do. From your post it looks like this comes as a total surprise to you; from now on keep a careful watch on what goes on in your department and try to enlist an ear upstairs (secretaries are a good source, but be careful you don't enlist a double agent).
    Don't explain when challenged, but ask them what you should have done instead. Have a witness to any of these conversations or if you can't find anyone to trust, record the conversation and inform your boss that the conversation is being recorded; tell them it's so you don't forget what they said.
    Protect yourself. They are obviously trying to get rid of you by other means. Fight them, don't let them do this to you; it'll make it easier for the next person. Even if they win, make it a Pyrrhic victory. Never give an inch.
    Last edited by donnalee; 12-27-2016 at 05:14 AM.
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)

Reality Check
    If everyone has decided that Emma's boss is picking on her because she is a transsexual, I have nothing more to add. Somehow, I have a hard time believing this is because she is a transsexual because if she is otherwise a good employee, they wouldn't be giving her a hard time. Good employees are hard to find.

Krisi, everyone has decided to believe what Emma said. Not sure why your default is to disbelieve her, but what's the purpose of that? If someone asks advice and states the situation they are facing, a normal person accepts the statement of facts and bases their advice on that. They don't start disputing the facts. In some places, being transgender is, by itself, considered not being a good employee even if all other aspects of their behavior and performance is flawless. Closeted folks like yourself understand this intuitively, that's why you hide. Out people have to face it head-on.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

Reality Check
    Again, we are hearing only one side of the story. I have been around long enough to know that every story has two, sometimes three sides. People here are giving Emma advice on getting a lawyer, going to HR, etc. without knowing the entire situation. I worked for over 40 years and I've seen a lot of situations. I've been a supervisor and I've seen very good and very bad employees.

My "default" is to know both sides of the story before taking one side. If yours is not, that's fine, this is just a web forum, not an actual situation. An actual situation is far more complex than what has been presented here.

you are simply one of the most effective troll masters i've encountered.... kudos to you...

you have an answer for everything but over your thousands of posts you consistently help the least...

i especially enjoy your incredible insight such as ""an actual situation is far more complex that what is presented here"... wow.... you dont get insight like that everywhere

my default is to call out jerks....
    I am real

Untitled
    Quote Originally Posted by Krisi View Post
    Again, we are hearing only one side of the story. I have been around long enough to know that every story has two, sometimes three sides. People here are giving Emma advice on getting a lawyer, going to HR, etc. without knowing the entire situation. I worked for over 40 years and I've seen a lot of situations. I've been a supervisor and I've seen very good and very bad employees.

My "default" is to know both sides of the story before taking one side. If yours is not, that's fine, this is just a web forum, not an actual situation. An actual situation is far more complex than what has been presented here.

Well if your default" is to know both sides, what good is the advice you offer? Yes this is a web forum, we get to hear the side of the member, sometimes two if both parties are members.

We have had "imposters" post information which is meant to garner "support and sympathy" for them, but the majority of people who are on this side of the forum are genuine. They post their situation, yes their version of it, to get guidance on "possible" resources and advice from those who have lived and live the life.

Krisi, people like you who chose to hide their "other" life from the real world may have something to offer, however, in your case you have offered nothing but doubt. So how about you try living in the real world as Krisi, face the life we have to face, or keep council to yourself.
    Listen carefully to what is said, quite often you can hear what is not being said

The joy of correcting a mistake can bring pain to another

I'm not even remotely interested in what a crossdressing man thinks should be done in an instance such as Emma has presented. We're here to comfort each other and provide moral support as much as anything else. We can receive snide remarks and derision anywhere. This is our safe place....or at least it's supposed to be. The inference that no one would fire someone simply for being TS is naive at its best and beyond arrogant at its worst.
    Last edited by jentay1367; 12-28-2016 at 01:26 PM.

Gold Member
    Thank you Lisa and Nigella!

I want to echo part of Lisa's statement. If you aren't employed as a transitioned, transexual man or woman, you are speaking out of your nether regions if you think you get it. It is one thing to hypothesize "Oh, if I was a supervisor of a transexual...." and actually be that person going through the experience. As I say often here, if you haven't personally been down the road of others, you should be listening instead of doling out "informed" advice.

I'm going to chime in some more details about me on the job to help Krisi.

I have been working for this company for going on fifteen years. I transferred from out of state about two years ago to where I am right now. It was a lateral transfer.

I will admit that I may not be a perfect employee. But, I do my best in everything I do and there is a reason I have been with the company for those fifteen years. Up until things seem to have gotten strained, I got nothing but compliments for the job I do. From him none the less.

Before I went on vacation at the beginning of this month, I sat down with one of our managers and our HR Rep to discuss my transition at work. My plan was to have it coincide with my legal name change.

My last day before I went on vacation, I had helped get our department into the shape it needed to be in.

While I was on vacation, things went to hell. All the backstock I pushed to get under control was back. When I left, all everyone in the department had to do was just keep up with out truck deliveries and edit our orders to keep it under control. They only had the next truck of stock and one single dolly of freight to begin with. It was not a lot of freight to keep up with.

While I was on vacation, the orders did not get edited twice because the other person in the department that helped make sure the orders got edited besides me was off and the others "forgot" to edit them. That would be our department head and his backup/assistant.

As a result, the two in charge of the department go their butts handed to them on a platter.

Since then, things have been going down hill and suddenly I'm in the cross hairs for doing my job as expected. With the claim of 'wasting company time". When I'm doing my job well beyond company standards.

I hope that gives some clarification.

As far as honesty goes, I have spend a lot of my life telling myself lies to cope with this GD. Now that I can be honest with myself in the most brutal way, I will be nothing but honest with others in everything I do. I'm not saying this to try to convince anyone. I'm only trying to be as clear as possible to anyone that might think they might need more to go on.

Edit: I have an Aunt that used to work for the Detroit PD. She was harassed and she won her case. I spoke with her and gave her all the information I had and she suggested I follow the Company grievance process. I was also informed by another employee that I trust, that if I do that they will retaliate and make my life a living hell. What I plan to do is if they do retaliate, I will file appropriate grievances to establish a pattern of harassment just in case I need to take this to Lawyers and file a law suit.

I'm using the simple concept of using the least amount of force to accomplish the goal.

My comment about wishing someone would put him in the State mental hospital was nothing more than harmless venting.
    Last edited by Emma Beth; 12-27-2016 at 07:44 PM.
    Has nothing to fear

Rock meet Hard Place.

Bottom Line Emma is that you are doing great given the circumstances...things outside your control have gone against you recently but you can just keep going

As you evaluate options its clear you have your head on straight.
    I am real

Yup, what Kaitlyn said. ...you don't owe any of us explanation. Keep at it girl. Be smart, proactive and aware. It's your first line of defense. Document EVERYTHING. What will be, will be. Keep us in the loop. Lisa

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Krisi View Post
    I have a hard time believing this is because she is a transsexual because if she is otherwise a good employee, they wouldn't be giving her a hard time. Good employees are hard to find.
    Early in transition when my employer became hostile I asked my boss 'I've always done a good job for you haven't I?" and he said yes I had always been a good employee, he had no complaints, but said he still wanted me gone and he put a lot of effort into trying to make me quit over the next couple of years.

Sometimes stuff goes pear shaped at work.

Do you have an advocate at work?? Do you want to stay in your job?? I think you need an advocate. Rather than escalate confrontationally it may be best to approach your HR department and see if they can mediate a solution / reconciliation.

One thing I will say though. Wishing someone to go to a mental hospital is no more harmless venting than the myriad of ignorant fools on the internet who believe we should be admitted to mental institutions because according to them clearly anyone who is trans must be insane. Retaliating in kind to that sort of ignorance helps no one and escalates rather than educates.

Best of luck with sorting this out Emma

Gold Member
    Even if you did lose that job...
    You had a job before you went there and you will have another one when you leave.
    People in general always act like jobs are so scarce yet everyone who actually wants to find work eventually does.

I guess the only real question is what would you really be losing?

Oh and about turnover, This present manager will not be around long anyways. Management turnover is just as bad, if not worse, than employee turnover at most places.
    Any given place i have worked - managers last an average of about 15 months. I wonder if that is a national average? The point is, this creep won't be there much longer anyways.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.