Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Desires to reveal yourself

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar

Desires to reveal yourself

With the holidays here and many of us seeing our families I wonder how many who are out primarily
    to just their spouse ever considered coming out to family about their dressing. I'm mostly talking about CDs here but those who are also in other categories but are not going to fully transition.
    Have you thought I just want to be real with my family about myself and this part I express once in
    a while.
    I know it has been on my brain somewhat this season, I really don't know why but I think it comes down to being real and being open as to no not offend anyone but to just say look we are people we all
    have different aspects of ourselves and honestly we should be true to those we love.

Yes there would be lots of pitfalls but it really was on my mind this year. Oh and no I did not and honestly I doubt it will ever happen but it just got me thinking how others felt about it.
    Rachael Leigh

I have the general desire to come out to the world sometimes, but at the same time there is family that I really never want to know.

Yeah, my sister won't even talk to me. So it is sometimes useless to expose us to our families. There is a lot I could tell her about our DES issues as I have researched them and why things happened to her. Yep that is a big pitfall.
    Part Time Girl

I don't know, Italians love dirty laundry, even my own brother would find a way to advantage from news like that. Lol. To be honest a few years ago I wanted to set it straight with my mom. It probably would've have surprised her she caught me a few times and she never said anything to me but she would wash my pantyhose and never say anything. My wife asked me why I wanted to do this now at her old age. So I took my wifes advice and left it alone

Banned Read only
    Leigh, I am comfortable in my decision to tell those whom my cross dressing might affect. as of today, that is my wife. No one else. I am a cross dresser but that is not ALL I am. If cross dressing were a more significant part of my life, I may need to tell others. It's not that today.
    Last edited by Jenniferathome; 12-26-2016 at 05:39 PM.

Those I choose to tell are on a need to know basis. The list includes my wife and SA's at various dress stores I frequent.

Jennifer,
    I totally agree with you. I enjoy dressing a LOT but it isn't my whole being, even though at some times it is quite prevalent. My wife knows and doesn't seem to disapprove too much, but nobody else knows and i am hoping to keep it that way. I have thought often about telling a few others, and sometmes I wish I could. But a few others would mean everyone soon or later. I just don't know how others in the family would react, especially my children and my grand-kids. for now it's our secret. HUG
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/lovethatdress/

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Why do you feel the need is my question?
    You are not "living a lie" or not being the "real" you.
    Look long and hard what might happen if you do disclose that information.Does it hurt you or harm them in anyway?
    If so its best not to tell,just common sense IMO.

Silver Member Stephanie Julianna's Avatar
    I've wished that I could be Stephanie whenever I felt the need with family more times than I can count over the years and decades. However, reality takes over and I know that is only a dream. It doesn't meant that I still don't have the dream. I just realize that it can only be a dream.

Rachael,

I have certainly thought about it as well. While I am very proud of myself, it would probably do no real good. It does really only affect my wife and she knows, so I have chosen to take it no further. I know I would never be comfortable being dressed around family and friends (my choice), so I'll probably take this one to the grave. While my wife sees me dressed frequently (generally coming or going), I have zero interest in dressing and going out with her. Things have worked out pretty well so far, so I'm not one to create any waves.
    Visit Kandi's Land (http://www.kandis-land.com/) daily! Nothing but positive and uplifting posts!
    Pictures and stories of every time out: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131254150@N06/.

I have thought about it with my brother here from California or my mom as close as we are. Sometimes the secret stresses me, so I have no desire to burden anyone else . My wife has done well with it and I'm good with that.
    If you only knew the power of the pink fog! ~Joss

aren't we the hypocrites, when the question comes up will this ever be considered normal folks will respond with the all truth opinion of never, but yet we find every justification to not disclose this to our family members and teach the very same that it is more normal than anyone ever thought, it does effect them because it can effect theyre opinion of us and folks like us, AND Im just as guilty of perpetuating the stigma....ill point the finger at myself first.

but to answer Rachelle's question....this past year i baked with my wife and made cookies that i copied from Mikell's pinterest account, ive never baked with her before, when setting up the finger food for our christmas get together i arranged the cheese and meat in the shape of a christmas tree as copied from Mikells pinterest, i even made a modification or so and added the olives as ornaments and cauliflower as the star, not my most manly tasks of late....but i was myself, just not dressed the way i would have if i was braver and more secure....so yes there is a desire.
    ....Mykell
    i dressed like a girl and i liked it! crossdressing...theirs an app for that

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    Mikell, you hit it right by saying we want the outside world to accept us but when we think of our loved ones it's like not in
    this life. I think that's where I'm at on this, I find myself comfortable in being out and being Rachael and yet why should I fear my family, like most here while my wife knows I even don't want to dress in full in front of her because even she is a bit uncomfortable around it.

I agree too , what you mean Jennifer that while I'm not full time and it's just one part of me it's kinda a big part but does that
    mean it's important enough for all to know. It's a tough call and it sometimes keeps me up at night, well not literally but
    I think you understand.

Unless I had too many eggnogs I will never come out to family. Mine will stay a secret between my wife and I and will be till I die.

It's a catch-22.

We are afraid to reveal ourselves to those who know us (outside a select few), because of the stigma. However, the only way to overcome the stigma is for people to know crossdressers and realize we're not monsters. I have presented this argument to my wife (who does NOT want me to go out dressed), and she was in reluctant agreement. She definitely fears the repercussions (real or imagined) of me being outed.

On the lighter side, I've been retired from my company for a little over four years, and I saw a number of co-workers at our company Christmas party. They ask me what I do to fill my time. I respond with the usual; golf, tennis, exercise, travel--and left unsaid is hanging out at Nordstrom buying dresses (before I went to the 3 PM party I had been to the Art Museum and Nordstrom dressed up).

Banned Read only
    Why? Why? Why? What purpose does it serve? How is it going to advance "the cause?" So, you tell a brother, a sister, a mother, a father, et al. You declare "I like to wear women's clothing. I love wearing a bra, a slip, panties, makeup, the entire deal." Then, it will follow "Why aren't you dolled up right now when you're pronouncing this desire?" Are you going to head over for a Thanksgiving meal?

I would recommend, if you want to advance the cause, to go out totally en femme and shop, eat at a restaurant, walk the malls......make yourself visible to people who do not know you.

My point is why do you want to put a relationship between you and family members or your friends or your employer at risk? If you are going to proclaim it, are you ready to live it?

Silver Member
    I'm out to most of my family. I still go in drab to special dinners and events. My mother knows has seen me dressed (dad did also). My sisters know (I have a lot of their vintage stuff, they can't fit it). Of course wife and daughters know.

BUT BUT BUT It does make people uneasy and why do you want to cause tension in a family event. As a CD it isn't imperative to display every thing to others in your family. What if one family member accepts and another doesn't and they become angry.

Painted toes n panties Cassandra*'s Avatar
    Life's too short. This has been the worst yr. in my life so I stepped out to Mom. I've never considered my life to be dramatic like some but this was my year. Demoted at work for cost saving, Kid brother almost dies from some virus(ICU for three months), wife diagnosed with colon cancer (successful surgery) and then father passing after diagnosed with stage four lung cancer. All this from April -Oct. so I began my bucket list. Went for a manicure and when at Moms she noticed my natural but longer nails. She questioned me and that's when I told her I am Trans. She was shocked to the least and I could see the catholic coming at me but I just smiled and said there are no exorcisem to cure this, it's not evil. I've been feeling this way my entire life just hiding it VERY WELL! I told her that I started seeing a therapist when dad was in the hospital and that's when I came to realize what direction I am heading on this journey. When Dad passed I flashed back to the beginning of the year and realized life is too short and I'm moving forward with MY LIFE. Once I begin hormone therapy and my body begins it's change they will notice and the cats out of the bag. My wife has known for a few years but has never seen CASSANDRA and Dec. 20 my 9 yr. old daughter asked if I like girl things. I asked if she remembered the term TG that has been a media topic and she said yes it's when a person has the wrong body for how their mind feels. I was pretty impressed with her analogy. I said yes and that is how I feel and I will always be your Daddy. I asked if there were any questions and so we talked. This was the conversation I wasn't sure how to confront but fortunately it confronted me. If your family loves you be truthful eventually but let it happen stress is unhealthy. My thought's on the subject. Cassie.
    cassandra*:cheers

Reality Check
    My advice is always the same - Tell only those who need to know. For most of us, that would be your wife and only your wife. Or perhaps your long term, trusted girlfriend (or boyfriend).

Nothing good can come from telling others and you are placing a burden of secrecy on them that they may not want. Once you've rung the bell, you can't unring it. Keep this in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana44 View Post
    ...There is a lot I could tell her about our DES issues ...
    I know what you mean. I truly believe there is much left to learn about the DES exposure. But more comes to light as time progresses...

I too would like to come out to some people. Only 4 people have known, my mother, now deceased (approved and helped me shop starting at age 6), my wife, also deceased (did not approve), a close lesbian friend (approved) and a former girlfriend and still a friend (definitely approved and helped me shop). I have thought about telling my daughter and son-in-law but I'm not sure how they would accept it. I think my daughter would be OK . I love my son-in-law but I don't think he would be very accepting. He was a college athlete, as was I, and he is a bit "macho." Now I live alone in a condo and can dress whenever I am home. I am heavily involved in the community and at church so I don't have much time at home. I am able to sleep in my fem pj's and panties. I do wear panties 24/7/365. Sometimes I do wear a bra out if I have a heavy coat or sweatshirt on. I would just like someone in my everyday life that I could talk to. There is a close friend in my building who is very open minded and I think I would like to tell him but I'm still scared. We do go out to lunch or dinner a lot. I just wish society as a whole was more accepting.
    jennigrace

Banned Read only
    Leigh,
    It's a balancing act , trying to accept yourself, Cding isn't going to go away, it's part of you so why do you need to hide it as if it's something to be ashamed of ?

On the other hand what is revealing to the family going to achieve ? I have to admit I feel much better about it now my family know and so does my wife, but as I've said before I'm not 100% out to them as they haven't seen me. I can't say whether it will happen or not, but they do accept I go out socially dressed and obviously know many other people have seen me dressed especially since the Xmas party.

I might add that my daughter and son in law have seen my pictures and are very supportive, even to the point wher they would be happy to let me dress to attend a social group close to them. They treat me just the same in fact they appear to have more respect for me for being honest with them.

There is also another aspect to consider , I have been looking into AGP afresh and reading the updated work to Blanchard's original ideas. Among the listed traits is the need to be seen and accepted as a woman . Cding is a very complex subject and there is far more to it than trying to hide the man in a dress and being made to feel ashamed by society. Maybe the family has a right to know so they can possibly support you when you do face society, I am very surprised by the number of partners who accompany the Cders to the social meetings.
    Last edited by Teresa; 12-27-2016 at 10:47 AM.

I have struggled with acceptance my entire life. There is no way anyone would like me for me, I used to think... My hobbies, my thoughts, my opinions, everything that had been going on in my life was submitted to the voice in my head, voice that had somehow emerged during my upbringing and those important years your identity develops, saying that not a single person would be interested in hearing about it. So I kept silence. I still struggle with such thoughts every now and then, but it is a little better now.

I can't speak for others, but the newfound self-acceptance has given me the will to try the world and show who I am. As for crossdressing, to come out to at least one important person in my life (the female friend in my thread about this) would be an "old world" shattering experience to me, provided that it goes well. Now, she doesn't have to see me dressed, go shopping with me, or even talk fashion; just being there, hearing me out, saying it's fine and me feeling accepted would mean being recognized as a human being, and experience unlike anything I have ever felt.

I'm 68 and my wife is the only one that knows.Some times iwish I could wear a skirt to a family function or just out but that's not going to happen. I do get all the time I need to dress at home.
    Angie

Aspiring Member
    Still questioning, still limited by my own bulletproof glass closet.
    I can only convince, I cannot force acceptance. My immediate family outed me with not just "not wanting to see it" but insisting this side of me be shed totally, perhaps denied. The fetishistic element (if there were any, and it was the first I ever knew of understanding crossdressing unfortunately) is quite dead now, although I understand why they first thought of fetishism when they outed me. They handled it much better than I expected, and I'm more than grateful for that. I have genuine doubts I can re-introduce myself at a Chinese New Year reunion to my parents and relatives as their daughter, niece, aunt. The time could well come on me to put on my best qipao, and present myself (as Lily) to my family again.

Many SAs know anyway, although not by name, only by face. This is entirely on a need-to-know basis.
    Last edited by Lily Catherine; 12-27-2016 at 12:44 PM.