Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Essentials for Feeling Fem

SJW and Proud of It! Christina D's Avatar

Essentials for Feeling Fem

I've been extremely busy the past few days, so I haven't always been able to dress and when I have been, it's been partially. Most days, I was only able to underdress (just panties). I had a bit more time to myself today, so I tried underdressing, loose (i.e. non-gender specific) "lounging around" clothes, and my wig. I thought that my wig would make me feel a bit more feminine, but it didn't. In fact, I felt less feminine...weird even...like I wasn't Christina at all but rather a dude wearing a wig. I kept it on for about an hour, but then left it off the rest of the day.

This experience got me thinking, what are the essential items that make me feel completely feminine? At what point do I feel I'm truly en femme? I haven't tried every combination yet, but I think my makeup is the dividing line. It doesn't need to be a full face of makeup, but at least foundation, concealer, and lipstick. I'm guessing it's because makeup softens my look the most and is the most feminizing part of my dreasing routine. Even if I wear a t-shirt and jeans in makeup, I feel more like Christina than if I'm wearing a dress and no makeup.

What about everyone else? What is/are the most essential items and/or parts of your dressing routine that make you feel truly en femme? Is anything nonessential?
    "I'm just a girl, what's my destiny?/What I've succumbed to is making me numb/Oh I'm just a girl, my apologies/What I've become is so burdensome/Oh I'm just a girl, lucky me/Twiddle-dum there's no comparison" - "Just a Girl" by No Doubt

"The unexamined life is not worth living" - Socrates

For me, makeup is more of a visual trick and not essential. When I slip on a dress I get a tactile response and much stronger feeling. The same can be said for a bra, corset, pantyhose, etc...

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I think when I have the whole package together (totally enfemme) I can feel a small difference.
    I still feel normal and feminine just like always but maybe looking at the whole package in the mirror is what affirms what I am feeling inside.

Stand-up Comedian En Fem❤ Alice_2014_B's Avatar
    I'm not feeling fem until I'm in high heels after getting completely dolled up.

I will admit, however, that there is something about getting my lipstick on after all the makeup and wig and before heels.

Melissa: "... and why are you dressed as a woman?"
    Coach McGuirk: "Because it's freeing."

-Home Movies
    (cartoon series)

Shoe size: 9 US women's.
    Dress size: M to L; 8-10.
    Height: 5' 6".

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    No doubt the makeup is what puts me into the full fem mode, but I still do dress without it but not to go out

I feel fem when putting on a skirt.

Mascara. Every time I put it on I think "That almost looks like me in the mirror." Usually when I look in the mirror I feel like I'm looking at someone else. The rest of the stuff, clothes/makeup/wig etc., each help a little bit, but Mascara has the largest effect. Even with everything I still don't really feel completely connected to the person in the mirror.

Christina,

You may be onto something here about makeup.
    There is so much about each element of my lady ensemble(s) that get me jazzed up. Love the fall, hang and flow of a skirt or dress. The feel of panties. Or the special grace of wearing heels.

But the one thing I've found that lights the afterburners is make up. There is a transformational magic to face paint; almost mystical.

I've started wearing lipstick often in (mostly) guy mode. My normal guy mode [of jeans, shirt, etc.) includes panties and earrings [normally gold hoops] every day. I began a touch of a pink lipstick; nothing bright red or glaring. I absolutely love the way it looks, and dresses up the smile. In the altitude of CO, lip balm of some kind is always required, so why not some color too. BTW, I get a few interesting and noticeable reactions/looks in public; all good. Makes me feel great.
    There resides within me a Woman, and she is powerful.
    She has been my Grace and Bearing on the stormiest seas.
    I could no more deny Her than I would my own soul.

For me it is the heels and tights that help, I do like driving in them and each opportunity I go away with work even if it is just for the day I will wear shoes and tights on the drive.

Wish I could do it more, am still looking for a dress up service to see what can be done and how I would look.

For me, I have to dress fully with make up and wig. I suppose, I could get away without make-up if I didn't look in a mirror. But I just look like a bloke in a dress if I wear my wig with no make-up. For me dressing is more about how I look rather than how I feel so dressing fully is for me the way to go.
    A girl can never have too many dresses

Question - do you all shave your legs and if you do how you explain to your SO?

Quote Originally Posted by londonman111 View Post
    I do, and I use an epilator on my arms and torso. I don't have to explain anything to my SO. She's known all about Kelly for many years.

Totally smooth and gf loves it. She is a keeper.

Getting back to the thread. With me, it varies. I have felt fem with just panties and all male other clothes. I have not felt fem until I put the earrings on. Very variable and unpredictable. Just my $.02. Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

For me, it seems to be the other way around. I don't dress to feel fem; I dress because I feel that way. I guess that is one of the variations in this wide spectrum phenomenon. When Gretchen moves to the front she pretty much takes over a lot of things and depending on how much of the total identity she occupies she doesn't like to look in the mirror and see a guy looking back. So, if time is available, it is important to get into the appropriate gender expression for awhile. Sometimes, it is just an inclusion of a little bit of feminine expression; other times it is the whole enchilada. But when the latter, satisfaction doesn't occur until the wig and makeup goes on. Everything else but without wig and makeup is terrifying to her, but wig and makeup even with the rest in drab can be satisfactory. I guess her perception is that no matter what else is draping the body, if the face and hair is not womanly then it is just weird for her. Interesting how much we all differ in our perceptions. I guess that is what makes all of this so fascinating - it is not only a celebration of the feminine but also, in a much larger way, an expression and celebration of diversity and its acceptance.

Gretchen

Silver Member Stephanie Julianna's Avatar
    I agree with you 100%. I'm not there until I have full makeup. Without it I'm a guy in a wig.

Christina
    I've tried exactly the same thing, wig but no makeup, and lasted 5 minutes tops! I looked hideous. I then did an experiment to determine how much makeup I needed to not feel that I looked like a poor excuse for a guy. For me, the critical ingredient is foundation / beard cover. That's what transforms me from looking like a guy wearing makeup and a wig to looking satisfactorily feminine. However, simply achieving a satisfactory look with makeup and wig still doesn't quite cut it! It's only when I get my boobs and hip pads in place that I start to feel properly fem.

P.S. note to anyone who is tempted to chip in with "no man, CD or otherwise can really know what it's like to feel as a woman feels"... Please restrain yourself and allow us CDers to use our imagination.

Hi Christina, I do not cross dress unless I can go all the way. This includes makeup and wig. The one item that really puts me in the feminine mode is doing my nails. Of course my favorite color is pink; my hand gestures are changed after my nails are done. Let's not forget that last splash of perfume to complete the package.
    Love, Sabrina

Reality Check
    Three things: Wig, Boobs and Butt. Well, I need a clean shave and usually just a touch of beard cover above my lip and some powder and lipstick.

Mascara for me too. The eyes may be the windows to the soul but lovely eyelashes are the chintz curtains 😀

Aspiring Member
    For James to look reasonably like Lilian - Wig, breasts, a decent amount of mascara. I increasingly need foundation and a dab of lipstick to obscure my beard shadow.

I don't anticipate a sudden shift in how I feel once I look the part.

Quote Originally Posted by londonman111 View Post
    I do. She noticed but never said anything. I had to tell her.
    No big deal. I told her that they are MY legs.
    (She knows I'm into my feminine side)
    There resides within me a Woman, and she is powerful.
    She has been my Grace and Bearing on the stormiest seas.
    I could no more deny Her than I would my own soul.

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    As an all or nothing person I have to have the full works, anything less is incomplete to me. So wig, make up , heels, jewellery, undies, clothes, perfume. They're the essentials.
    Here today, gone tomorrow....

For me when feeling fem, just the clothes make me feel better, however when makeup is on. Yep a woman inside and just feels right. Mascara looks really nice and feminine.
    Part Time Girl

Neanderthal in nylons Julie Denier's Avatar
    Add me to the list of all-or-nothing girls. I love the dresses and heels, but I need the makeup and wig to complete the picture