Thread: Are we making progress?

Are we making progress?

My question is to the ladies that have been here for a few years or more.

Are we making progress? It seems to me that I read more threads about girls getting out for the first time, getting out often, each time a nonissue with regard to the general public.

While I will readily admit I myself didn't pay attention to these kinds of things before joining the forum, I have no basis for determining if this is true. Personal experience is that things are getting better for us, but I'd like to hear from the veterans here.

So...........
    Visit Kandi's Land (http://www.kandis-land.com/) daily! Nothing but positive and uplifting posts!
    Pictures and stories of every time out: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131254150@N06/.

Kandi,
    I suspect that the reply will depend on which country one is talking about and the political outlook of the speaker.
    Speaking as a relatively 'conservative' CDer in the UK, I reckon that we are making progress, in that the muggles appear to be increasingly either moderately accepting or prepared to turn the proverbial blind eye.

I would say that it's safe to say that mankind, as a whole, yes is making progress towards acceptance of people and lifestyles different from oneself. I don't think that ANYone would argue that we are not better off in those terms today than we were 30, 40, 50 years ago. I think the more relaxant question is how much progress and how close are we to our goal?

I think so, because of this forum I am more accepting of myself. Which has allowed me to venture further. And since I have ventured further it has allowed me to see that the world is not has bad as I had imagined. Just this week I have been called miss and been welcomed with some of the biggest friendliest smiles from SAs.

I would say overall there's been tons of improvement. A lot of it in just the past few years. Transgender is now becoming something other than just extremely effeminate gay or masculine lesbian people. It's no longer considered a mental illness or a sexual perversion by the professional health and mental health community. Ithe certainly appears that a significant portion of those just becoming or soon to becoming adults have much acceptance of the concept of gender variance at least.

Many members here do go out regularly without harassment and often enjoy positive interaction.

There is however growing pains. Anti Trans legislation. With greater awareness, those who are prone to be haters of anyone not 110% straight and 110% cisgender, they now have a new target for that hate. Certain parents, kids in schools teachers group leaders, religious leaders politicians have jumped into the hate mongering. And, some local communities such as the one I live in now are back sliding when it comes to acceptance. To sometimes dangerous outcomes. As it becomes more known, with more awareness and more people beginning to live their own authenticity, more are being brutally hurt and murdered just because they are trans.

Yes, overall better, but there are still those who disapprove, and while fewer in number, sometimes more dangerous than before.

Queen of Chinatown jennifer0918's Avatar
    I think yes a lot of progress has been accomplished. The only negative I have experienced has been from some trans woman but I brush that off to a few rotten apples,but on that note yes we are better off more accepting, knock on wood .

Kandi,
    I think we are making progress especially on the store front.
    I get asked if it is for me and get fitted more readily for bras these days, more than it was ten years ago.
    We have a little quirk that is more accepting these days.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I know I am personally and I do think the world is. People are more accepting, we are not all the way there but the issues are published and out there.
    No regrets except I should have got dressed & stepped out sooner.

SJW and Proud of It! Christina D's Avatar
    I think a great sign of how much progress we have made is, enigmatically, shown when anti-LGBTQ legislation, discrimination, and violence occurs. Really, this could be said about any social injustice.

Basically, it seems now that for every hateful, discriminatory, or otherwise ignorant act directed towards an LGBTQ individual or the community as a whole occurs, there are just as many (or more) allies of the LGBTQ community standing up and fighting back against those acts. Yes, there's a lot of hate being thrown around these days (and again, I think this can be said about more than just the LGBTQ community), but there's also just as much love.
    "I'm just a girl, what's my destiny?/What I've succumbed to is making me numb/Oh I'm just a girl, my apologies/What I've become is so burdensome/Oh I'm just a girl, lucky me/Twiddle-dum there's no comparison" - "Just a Girl" by No Doubt

"The unexamined life is not worth living" - Socrates

I think there has been great progress. As an older gal, back a decade or two it was pretty unheard of and now it is plastered all over the place. Although many are not accepting and they keep there piece longer and don't run into a pack of teenagers, they can ruin your day.
    Part Time Girl

Reality Check
    When I go out in public, I want to be seen as a woman. An unattractive woman possibly, but a woman. I don't want to be seen, tolerated or accepted as a crossdresser, I want to be seen as a woman. If I fail at that, I don't want to go out.

So as far as "making progress", you are reading stories on the Internet of crossdressers going out in public. This forum is a tiny segment of the population of the world so I don't think it's accurate to judge anything based on what is written here.

There has been some publicity about transsexuals (Bruce/Catlin Jenner, etc.) but that has brought out a lot of negativity along with publicity. I suppose you're less likely to be beaten in an alley now than fifty years ago if you call that progress but that applies to all minorities, not just crossdressers.

Quote Originally Posted by Krisi View Post
    So as far as "making progress", you are reading stories on the Internet of crossdressers going out in public. This forum is a tiny segment of the population of the world so I don't think it's accurate to judge anything based on what is written here.
    Most of my feelings and beliefs are from personal experience, I limit my internet CD reading to this site almost exclusively. I am a bit of a dinosaur, certainly use the internet, but am quite old fashioned and guarded about not believing much of what I read on it.

I guess I am just trying to get a read on what I have experienced and am in a reflective mood (too much holiday time off from work, I guess!).

I do appreciate the input from every one. Valid points all.
    Visit Kandi's Land (http://www.kandis-land.com/) daily! Nothing but positive and uplifting posts!
    Pictures and stories of every time out: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131254150@N06/.

Quote Originally Posted by Krisi View Post
    I suppose you're less likely to be beaten in an alley now than fifty years ago if you call that progress but that applies to all minorities, not just crossdressers.
    I'm not clear -- does that NOT count as progress in your book? It sounds like you think it's not. In which case, you have some pretty tough standards. If you actually want to set the 'Way Back Machine to New Yar's Eve 1966, what has changed? Crossdressing is no longer considered a mental illness nor can it be used as a reason for involuntary commitment to a psychiatric facility. Beating up crossdressers is no longer considered a justifiable action. The word 'transgender' was coined after that (early '70s I think.) Academic investigations have developed strong evidence for a biological basis for transgenderism. There are transgender public figures. Transgender politicians. Transgender actors winning industry awards. You can walk into a MAC store and get a make-over instead of getting arrested. And more important people like us are out walking around, spending money, being happy, being productive all of which makes society run better for everyone.

The world seems safer if not completely safe (I mean, what's safe, right? If you wear a Yankees jacket to a Red Sox game I think your chances of getting beaten up in the parking lot are probably higher than if you wear yoga pants and a tank top to that same game. I'm just guessing, of course. No stats to back that up.) Not only are we gaining acceptance, but I think the public is starting to get a sense of scale -- we're not "right" but we're not as bad as Yankee fans. That seems right to me.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

I hope so.