Until today, only close calls . . . .

Backstory: I've been crossdressing since 7th grade (now 66). I've been self aware of my trans nature/desire to CD+ since I was 4 or 5. My late wife (33 years of marriage) never knew, much to my regret and sorrow. When she died I committed to honesty with any future partners. My current wife has known since we got serious during the first year of dating, and is encouraging and understanding.

We're both government workers and today is our New Years Holiday. we stayed home, I remained in Rhonda mode (as I've been all week) and we set out to watch some internet movies. My son, home from college in New England for the holidays went out to run errands. Time passed. I heard the door chime (part of alarm system), announcing a door had opened. I commented to [spouse] that the door sound was that of the front door -- son should be coming in the garage door. [Spouse] said that's son coming home. I remained seated.

IT HAPPENED! A moment later I hear the greeting of the dog walker behind me saying hello and Happy New Year. Spouse does not miss a beat and says hi. (Wife was supposed to have cancelled the dog walker because we were to be home.) Dog walker is standing behind me chatting with [spouse] and slowly moving further and further into the room. From behind I appeared as a woman, albeit a mute one as, I had not spoken. Based on the conversation, my continued silence is getting more and more awkward. Finally, I look up and her and say "hi, and Happy New Year -- guess you've found the family secret" and gestured to myself. She was like a deer in the spotlight for a brief instant, then looked bewildered, then resumed talking with [spouse].

After dog walker had left, [spouse] and I were discussing the incident and she had two interesting comments. First, she said that dog walker had not read me at all until I foolishly opened my mouth. Second, she said that until I did open my mouth, she was not in the least consciously aware that I was in Rhonda mode -- I was just me and she did not given any thought that I was Rhonda in front of someone who was not "read in to" this compartmentalized secret. She said that if I'd kept my mouth shut, dog walker would not have noticed me.

BUT THAT'S NOT ALL -- Later [spouse] is on way to friend's house while I'm making leftovers soup. Wanting to make [spouse] jealous, I shoot a short video of my cauldron of soup, stirring it to expose ingredients and talking to describe its goodness. Without previewing it, I text the movie short to my wife. THEN I preview it. If any friends were to see it they would recognize the kitchen and my voice as I stir and lift the soup ladle to reveal the ingredients. They would not recognize the bright red/pink fingernails on my hands in the video. Yikes, a potential SECOND outing. I IMMEDIATELY texted[spouse] and requested her to delete the video. Waiting for an update/all clear from her.

My only issues with any of this is that I want to choose who, when,, what, and howI, reveal Rhonda to people. Also, I been scrupulous about mission security up until today. A little unnerving.

Just wanted to share. Any similar experiences?

Best regards, and Happy New Year to all.

Rhonda