Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Crossdressing, Hobby, or a Lifestyle?

Crossdressing, Hobby, or a Lifestyle?

For some it's a hobby, and for others it's their whole life. What does it mean to you?

It started as a Fetish, progressed to a habit and hobby and then I excepted it as a part of my life.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Fran
    It's worth something just being around to Fuss!

Definate hobby. But one I enjoy as much as others.
    Teri Ray Rural Idaho Girl.

Oh my God, several years ago I talked about my "Hobby" and offended someone. The real neat part of this forum is the diversity of the group. From full trans, to the casual person who holds a special love for one or a few items. Due to wife, family, and work, my expression is very limited. It is exciting to enjoy the story being told and the photo shared by our sisters. Be Well, Live, Love, be Safe and enjoy! Tora. Oh, and the personal meaning is joyful. Thanks for asking.

Silver Member
    I think that we worry to much about definitions.

It is neither a hobby or lifestyle.
    It's me.
    I want to be a woman. Feel like woman. Act like a woman and be desired as a woman.

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    Whatever people want to call it it is up to them. Personally, my paintings, music, researching modern history are hobbies. My CDing is much more than that, not my whole life but a very important part of it. I could give up any hobby, but never dressing.
    Here today, gone tomorrow....

Don't think I have gotten to a lifestyle full time and probably never will get that far. I love Crossdressing though. My hobbies I look at that I could quit any time and might miss them but my CD I've quit many times but always go back to it.

From age 12 to 40 it was a hobby. Something that was fun to do from time to time with never any need to partake. From 40 its just part of me its fundamental to who i am.
    A.K.A Rebecca & Bec

It may have started something like a hobby or fun side activity but it is much more than that now.

well here's the dictionary thing:
    hobby 1 |ˈhäbē|
    noun (pl. hobbies)
    1 an activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure: "her hobbies are reading and gardening."

So I guess I'm going to go with "hobby' for me. I don't want to become a woman but I sure like dressing up as one...it brings pleasure and I do it in my leisure time...although somehow 'hobby' doesn't really get at the essence of it. Makes it sound too "ohhhh I do this for fun," 'cause it's more than that.....hard to pin it down....sometimes I get concerned I do it too much in my leisure time to the exclusion of other (more productive?) things, but hey ! Whaddya gonna do? Guess you've just got to find the balance.

Platinum Member
    I have never been able to wrap my brain around declaring wearing women's clothing and emulating a woman a "hobby." I would not suggest telling your wife that wearing women's clothing is a "hobby." She probably will tell you to find something else to do like collect coins. That's a nice dictionary definition of a hobby. Then, why hide it?

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Is it possible to sometimes be one? At others the other?

I think I'm there. A closet dresser with 100's of T friends with whom I do most of my socializing with!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Certainly not a hobby. A compulsion, a need, a part of who I am? Yes! The more explore this side of me the more I realise it's also more than just cross dressing. Quite how far I'd like to take it and how far I can take it are two different things.

It can't really be a hobby. Hobbies can be picked up on a whim. I doubt many of use simply decided one day to go "hmm CDing looks interesting, wearing panties and bra's and looking sexy, I think I will casually pick this hobby up and go to the store and buy everything I need". Hobbies are like that, You decide that something seems interesting enough to jump into and you just buy most of what you need.

I mean technically you can consider it a hobby if it makes you sleep better at night. CDing is like masturbation, you wouldn't call masturbation a hobby now would you? while masturbation is sexual, CDing is more of a emotional stimulation which could* heighten a sexual act ten fold.

I couldn't recommend Crossdressing to a guy friend like it was a hobby, It's something that finds you on a curious day and then grows with time.

I guess it depends solely on the definition of "Hobby"

noun
    noun: hobby; plural noun: hobbies

an activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure.

By that definition alone CDing is a hobby...Then again CDing alone isn't a "activity", You could get dressed which is one, do your makeup which is another, put your wig on, But once you're all dolled up you are "CDing" yet not doing an "activity".

A good comparison would be "is being emo a hobby", It almost sounds like it's a phase that people choose with little thought. I don't think many of us here placed that order for that first article of clothing with an easy attitude of "gee wiz i can't wait to start becoming a beautiful woman".

I used to think it was something between a kink/hobby/lifestyle choice for me. But honestly it's a part of me and who I am as a person. Vintage technology and old V8's are a hobby to me, Stacey is a part of who I am (and I have never been happier)

I don't think it's just a hobby for me, probably more part of my psyche.

I single and retired spend quite a bit of time dressed, but if I have to be in 'boy' mode it does not bother me - I just feel more comfortable in female attire.
    Even when I have to dress male I am still wearing panties and if it's exceptionally cold I will wear tights under my jeans so I suppose I am never fully in 'boy' mode.

I'm not sure that 'hobby' is quite the right word but, for me, it's closer to who I am than 'lifestyle'

Platinum Member
    Hi GH. , I have been in this program for over 69yrs. it's just who I am & it's just what I do......
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Lana Mae is my feminine half. It is more involved than a hobby. It is sort of a lifestyle but only part time. I still have a male side,too! Since,it won't go away, I guess it is more lifestyle. Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Aspiring Member
    Much more than a hobby, but not quite a lifestyle. Calling it a hobby implies that it is something we choose to do.
    Sara

Banned Read only
    Gogglehat,
    The first time I saw it called it a hobby I almost exploded ! When you go through a difficult time with CDing it 's an insult to call it that to your partner and family. To face counselling, and come to terms with what it really means to you, and how low it can take up.

I now appreciate that some do treat it as an enjoyable hobby, that they may share with their partner, going shopping and comparing how they look.

I still don't relate to it like that and never will , I enjoy dressing but it satisfies a deep inner need, yes it is with me 24/7.
    Last edited by Teresa; 01-10-2017 at 07:57 AM.

It's definitely a hobby for me.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Its just how I express who I am.
    I am this way 24/7 so its not a hobby in the pure sense of the word.
    Not a life style either because I live a very normal life.
    I may be gay but don't life the classic gay lifestyle,I CD but only have a few friends that CD.
    I am TG so don't quite feel correct in a male body but still I wouldn't call it a life style.

I'm somewhere in the middle. Since I feel a need or compulsion to dress then it is more than a hobby by my definition of the word but since I don't dress all the time it isn't a lifestyle either.