Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Crossdressing, Hobby, or a Lifestyle?

Silver Member
    Based on an either or choice, with the given definition, I would tend to say hobbie. Like many here, it seems a little bit more. Something in between.

I do not see it as a hobby, but more as an expression of myself

I prefer to call it a fun hobby,which allows me to secretly dress in my mothers good clothes,without her knowledge
    "Love&Kisses"
    Michelle

Aspiring Member
    I probably started off with a fetish then it turned into a hobby and now more like a life style as that door has cracked open a bit more and I am going out more wearing woman's clothes with makeup on.

For the sake of expediency of conversation I'd have to say that I fall into the "hobby" category in that I'm prettybpart-time with it. I however don't really like the word "hobby" as I feel like it weakens what we do and who we are. If you want to get semantic with it, religion could technically be considered a hobby (unless you're clergy) but it's definitely more than just a "hobby" to people.

At first, I considered crossdressing as a hobby, but I came to realize that it is little more than that.
    Among all my hobbies, crossdressing is the only hobby for which the urge is so strong when I don't have the opportunity to do it for a long time. Sport is maybe the hobby for which the urge is strong too, it's surely because of the release of endorphins. Maybe crossdressing tend to promote the release of endorphins too ?
    Anyway, I would that crossdressing is for me between the hobby and the expression of a little part of myself.
    Boys who dress as girls have more fun.

For me, I would go with Fetish/hobby. I have not progressed to a full transformation. As, I am still hidden in the dark recesses of my closet, and have no time to do it other than under-dress, I don't know if I want to take it further.

I just love how this thread came out so far! It's such a great thing to see all the different responses. Whether it's a hobby, lifestyle, identity, or whatever you want to call it, one thing's for certain, crossdressing is a hugely important part of many lives! I love that!

I'm not sure which I wou call it. I do not drink, or do drugs. "Dressing" is my stress reliever, my dirty lil secret. I'm closeted unfortunately, but when I do escape to fantasy land I feel so so comfortable! So so "me"! Absolutely my favorite thing in the world to do!!

It is a lifestyle when you dress and think about it 24/7.

A part of me. Although checking out and coming up with outfits is more like a hobby.

Silver Member Majella St Gerard's Avatar
    Lifestyle definitely, started out as a hobby but now it is me.

Having been brought up believing that I was really supposed to be a girl, and expecting god to 'fix' me, wearing girl clothes simply felt like what I was supposed to do. Over time, that became the norm for me, so by the time I got out of jr high school, I only felt normal when I was dressed up as a girl. That feeling has never gone away. So for me, crossdressing is simply all about feeling normal. In contrast, when I'm wearing men's clothing, I always feel like I'm in a costume and acting the part of a male in a play or something. It's that odd feeling you'd get, say, if you were wearing a pirate costume at a formal dinner. You'd simply feel like you're wearing the wrong thing.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Please count me in the column of those that evolved from a hobby and curiosity into a lifestyle that is ever in the back of my mind and being at all times. What it did was release the latent female side of me that has been under my skin for decades. I am sorry that it took me so long to realize it.
    Sarah Adams, mature girl from NH. My photos are on Flickr under vintage4sarah !

Like several others have said, it's more than a hobby, but not a lifestyle.

Karen

Reality Check
    Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    The first time I saw it called it a hobby I almost exploded ! ..........
    Some people are too easily offended. 2016 was designated "the year of the offended". Hopefully people will be a little more relaxed and accepting in the future.

I call my crossdressing a "hobby" because that's what it is according to the definition posted in post #11. It's not "who I am" any more than fishing or golfing would be. I suppose it could be called a "lifestyle" just as fishing or golf could be called a lifestyle. It's certainly not my whole life. If I could no longer dress in woman's clothes, I wouldn't have a breakdown or kill myself.

Silver Member
    Lifestyle for me! ... dressing every morning, wishing my moobs were larger, completely under-dressing except for Doc visits. wishing I WAS a female with appropriate parts ... yes, I guess that its a life-style in spades!

To me its a lifestyle. I love dressing whenever I can. Many times I wish that I was a female too.

Banned Read only
    Krisi,
    I'm going back to when I first joined the forum. I was on a real rollercoaster ride, and needing gender therapy. No way do call it a hobby but accept that some do now treat it as such, please don't assume it's the same for all of us. Hobbies don't tear you apart and almost destroy your family relationship .

This is interesting. As I learned other males did this and I have talked with a few (online) and honestly, I actually did not know that it was actually a lifestyle for some. And as such user said about tearing a family apart, I can see how that may occur. As I am new to this forum but have been cross dressing since I was 10, I just thought it as my little quirk, you know? After becoming sober a few years back, I went to Gay Pride parade. As I am from small town where the have the state was one area code and nice people but no one ever talked about these subjects. That's why I actually I think I told one person that I know, in person. Which she loves shopping than gives me her old items. Oh yea, gay pride, that really opened my eyes. Especially when I was in rehab my best friend asked me if I was comfortable sleeping in the same room with him. I said of course I am. Why the heck not. He mention he was gay and I thought for 2 seconds. Just like that my teenage years and everything I've seen and heard. I quickly replied, Dude, that just means you have bigger nads than me. To stand there and tell me that takes nads. He took me to gay pride. Moral of the story and please, I'm still learning as this is really all new to me, information wise. I do not want someone to take what I said wrongly. I grew up in a area where no one was openly gay or wore women's clothing. I've learned soooooo dang much talking with a few cross dressers that actually consider it a lifestyle. Honestly, hat goes off to you. I have respect for anyone who is actually being who they want to be. Sorry so long, I just found this question interesting as I always thought it was just a fetish. But I am still learning and willing to learn a lot. I love hearing and seeing different views!

I would say it's my hobby for the moment. I am still trying out lingerie, buying new dresses and skirts. I'm developing my own sense of style.

I dress because it reflects who I am in heart soul and mind.

Reality Check
    Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    Krisi,
    I'm going back to when I first joined the forum. I was on a real rollercoaster ride, and needing gender therapy. No way do call it a hobby but accept that some do now treat it as such, please don't assume it's the same for all of us. Hobbies don't tear you apart and almost destroy your family relationship .
    Do you consider yourself a male to female crossdresser or something more? A transsexual, perhaps? If you believe you are a transsexual, then it wouldn't be a hobby but you wouldn't be crossdressing in the sense that the rest of us are either.

Hobbies are something that one can put down for a while or a year. Being a cross dresser seems to be something with deep roots into ones psyche. I have never thought that the word "hobby" ever fit us as cross dressers. If your hobby is stamp collecting I'm sure that you don't hide it from your family or keep it in the closet. If cross dressing is a hobby why do so many of us keep it hidden and feel shame and embarrassment, and when discovered find ourselves in the center of an emotional storm with divorce as a potential outcome. If you do think of cross dressing as a hobby then you must be as open with it as you would be with other hobbies such as building hot rods etc.
    I just don't see the fit.

Reality Check
    Consuelo, The fact that crossdressing is socially unacceptable does not mean it cannot be a hobby. The two are unrelated.