Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your attitude to your Male wardrobe vs Female one

That's a very good point, Sometimes! I pointed out a fellow to my wife and noted how well dressed he was, including the matching shoes. Since then, I've been attempting - in a feeble way- to up my male attire. Last week, my sister-in-law mentioned that I was looking GQ. Hardly! I was just wearing some nice, skinny, black jeans, a nice tropical shirt, black shoes, and my black framed glasses. Nothing special about that. Perhaps her comment is more an indication of how poorly dressed men - and women- have become?

Aspiring Member
    Male clothes mostly blue jeans and tee shirts, might have dress slacks a few button down shirts and one suit.
    Woman's clothes dresses woman's slacks and jeans different tops and sweater tops plenty of panties, pantyhose, thigh highs, knee highs, bra's, four wigs, earrings and three pair of heels. Not to mention my makeup, scented body wash perfume and woman's deodorant. I also have four different purses and two outer wear woman's coats with woman's clothes.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I don't wear male clothes but maybe once a year and on that day I really don't enjoy feeling like I am doing something wrong.
    Shouldn't this be in the clothing section?

Whilst I would accept that most of my clothes are femme, and that my presentation may often be the subject of some conjecture, that is no excuse for dressing like a slob, or even dull, boring clothing when having to be full man. Pride in one's appearance was one of the key lessons learnt from my father.

I will probably be in the minority, but I'm very interested in and fond of men's clothing and care about what I put on myself. It began few years ago when I realized I was dressing horribly and wanted to change my looks. It goes without saying that compared to women's clothes, men's lack options, variance and materials... But men's clothing is not bland, far from it. With that said, you can achieve quite impressive things with little effort, if you know what you're doing and what to look for.

Which begs the question, if you're that interested in women's clothing, why not extend that interest and put it to use when thinking of men's clothing?

Anyway, it just means I have to spread my search in more ways than just a single high street store, and buy and think of clothes, shoes, accessories or putting together an outfit as a woman would. My interest in men's clothes actually later encompassed even women's clothes. And to top it off, I use Pinterest as an essential tool to come up with outfits for my men's and women's wardrobe.

Actually, both wardrobes have their counterparts of some sorts. For example, when going to work, I usually wear really slim or skinny quality jeans or trousers tucked in boots, shirt, tailor-made waistcoat, blazer, and a few bracelets and other small accessories. If I could wear women's clothes to work, it would be a business dress (or a skirt with blouse), blazer, patterned tights, heels and accessories (those are a must). Even in casual outfits I want to present some form of style. For me, dressing is showing respect to others and a form of self-expression.

And I want to echo what sometimes_miss said about men dressing casually or sloppily. Don't know about other parts of the world, but around here it pretty much called style if you go out dressed in blue jeans, white shirt, black suit jacket and black shoes. Other than that, 99% of what I see consists of hoodies, ripped jeans of sweat pants, logo shirts etc. Around here, people usually tend to ask you whether you're gay if you show "too much" (whatever that is) interest in clothing. Maybe that's one of a few reasons men don't put much of a thought to what they were.

So true this thread, my male clothes are there to be worn
    My female clothes are to be lived in, they have a life of their own , to be enjoyed

I'm okay with it although most of my guy stuff is 30 years old.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    Im with Kate...I havent bought guy clothes since 2010

It's simplified for me as work requires a uniform so most of my week is predetermined for me. Since all the uniforms are essentially the same we are pretty androgynous you might say.

Other than that I have "work" clothes for the dirty jobs around the house and a small cadre of nice ones for the odd occasion when we go somewhere requiring it. Other than that it's nothing but feminine clothing. My closet is 15% uniforms for work, 10% "other" and 75% feminine. I like it that way.
    That balance will shift next year when I finally retire and dispose of the uniforms.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

This has been an interesting thread on the male/female sides of clothes sense for CDs. I can kind of understand the want/need to wear female clothes, and eschew the drab hated men's clothes.

As a Post MtF for 40 years, have not worn any men's clothes during that time. While as a male I was NO fashion type, but still would wear clean and pleasant clothes. I did start to be a little Gender Non-Conforming at times. Had to wear ties for work, but mine were very colorful and interesting.

When I go to a nearby Shopping Mall, I have to go thru the men's department, and must say that today's men's clothes are very interesting. I think the selections/varieties are much better now than 40 years ago. Just in men's shirts, the amount of pastels is different. I can remember a co-worker back than given a hard time when he would wear a kind of pinkish shirt.

I am presently courting ?? a CD. SHE is a conservative and down to earth type dresser. I am hoping to make HER more colorful. Have not met the HE but hope (apprehensively) that may happen soon. I would hope that the HE is just as presentable. I like men that I meet that can dress very nicely. Casual suit or business casual, even the Gay men that I meet. To me it shows a inherent sense of style and self worth.

To the ones here that go dressed enFemme ever think about shopping for men's clothes that way. Thinking about what the women that are in our lives would like for you.

I'd guess that 80% of the time and thought I give to clothing and shopping for it is on the girl side, for two reasons: I'm far more interested in it, and there are far more possibilities. I'm ok with guy clothes for comfort and simplicity, and do enjoy it when I get a nice sweater that has some visual interest as opposed to being a solid color V-neck. But while I shop for men's clothing maybe once or twice a year, I could go shopping in the ladies' department every week.
    Can you zip me up?

Silver Member
    Women's clothes are more varied, interesting and FUN than men's clothes. Mine especially. What I wear is a response to the difference between "want to" and "have to". Women's clothing is impractical for work, as I work in a skilled trade where things get dirty. Also, my wife refuses to be in public with me while I'm dressed. So that's where I have to be drab. When I get to choose, it's a dress or a skirt, so that's most of the time at home or if I'm going out by myself.
    Actually, that's changing a bit. I'm now in possession of a few pieces that are relatively androgynous, so I can go out with my wife with us both wearing similar low key tops, cardigans and slacks that were all bought at women's stores. It's a compromise that my wife and I both find acceptable.
    Last edited by suzanne; 01-10-2017 at 03:12 PM.

Womens clothing appears to be fun for all budgets.
    But there are stylish and fun options in the men's department if you are more discerning. However, quite often it comes at a price.
    And I believe that men's footwear is finally shifting somewhat. But good, fun?, stylish men's footwear can cost a premium.
    Jeffrey West boots with a Cuban heel? Corthay shoes are on another level IMO.
    Men's clothing needn't be drab, but it can cost and take time to assemble a decent wardrobe.

I avoid slovenly in either mode. While, I prefer women's clothes as I feel they fit and feel better for me plus provide far more styling options and greater range, I still have to dress male for work and social engagements to stay on the good side of my SO and to keep her (and me to some extent) confident that my source of income is secure. However, I do mix in feminine pieces with my male attire and try to avoid bland, lifeless, boring colors when I can.

Several of the Corthay shoes look interesting, but the loan terms to buy them just doesn't fit into my budget. I'd much rather pine for Manolos at the price.
    Warmest regards,
    Pamela

I would say that I like men's clothes or to be more accurate I try to be elegant and present in a good way. But girls clothes are funnier because:
    - I already what looks good on me on male mode. I sometimes try new style, but it is very rare now (I did it more when I was a teenager and in my 20's). Whereas, since I started crossdressing 4 years ago, I am still experimenting with new things, new styles. So now, I tend to buy new male clothes because I have to (the old ones are worn) whereas I buy girls clothes for experiment styles, for fun
    - Women clothes come are more diverse: different styles of tops, skirts, dresses, heels. And I do not mention wigs, makeup, jewelry.
    Boys who dress as girls have more fun.

I make no distinction between my feminine and masculine clothes. I have things that were bought in the women's section that I wear even when I'm not crossdressing, and things I bought in the men's section that I'll wear when I do. All of it gets washed, folded, hung and put away together in the same areas. And all of it is equally important to me.

Interestingly even though I don't have interest in male clothes, I am most definitely not slovenly. I think i am more aware of how I look generally now because of Becky. So I do like my clothes to fit right etc. but just have no interest on the guy clothes.
    A.K.A Rebecca & Bec

I enjoy my male clothes. Having said that my male attire is pretty standard affair jeans, boots, western shirts. My Teri clothes are much more diverse. I like em both.
    Teri Ray Rural Idaho Girl.

I have yet to receive a compliment from the opposite sex when dressed like a slob. So, I choose to not do that anymore. There is something to be said for the confidence gained when well dressed. The other day I had on an awesome collared shirt, tight fitting jeans and a pair of cowboy boots. I got many positive remarks. I don't believe I blended in with the majority. There is no room in my closet for sloppy female clothing either.

For most of the last 20+ years my work attire was casual, and I didn't need to "dress up" to go to work. Jeans and a t-shirt or polo shirt were fine. For most of the last 15 years work was full-time telecommuting, so I could be in my bathrobe, or even buck naked, and no one would care. I owned nice clothes, including several business suits, but I rarely had cause to wear them. I bought new clothes largely only when old ones wore out, though I had quite a collection of t-shirts! I would dress well when the occasion suited it, but most of the time I didn't have a reason to do so.

Once I acknowledged my feminine side, I found I was very interested in amassing a full and varied wardrobe of clothes and shoes as a woman, yet I could walk past a display of men's clothes and hardly care they existed! Given a choice between buying a male item and a female item, I will buy the female item almost every time, even for male presentation. Most of my jeans and jackets are women's versions now, as are virtually all my socks and panties. Even a lot of my shoes and boots that I wear in male mode are female items that can pass for male versions.
    Last edited by Ceera; 01-13-2017 at 05:01 PM.

Hi, Becky, The last time I purchased any male clothes for myself was about 2 years ago when I bought 2-pairs of trousers and about 3 years ago I bought a pair of men's shoes. I always have to have the trouser legs shortened as I cannot buy any that fit of the peg.
    I am regularly buying female clothes purchased some female jeans from Dorothy Perkins in a size 12 petite and they fit perfect, even my wife say's that I look good in them.
    Last edited by Martina; 01-13-2017 at 01:56 AM. Reason: spelling
    The girl my Mother longed for trapped inside a boys body If she had only known I was there.

Like a lot of us here my attitude is that my male wardrobe is a necessity whereas my female wardrobe is a luxury.

I have to wear male clothes as that is what is expected by society but I can at times (much more lately) wear female clothes which makes me feel happy.
    Sasha

When I dress in male clothing I try to take care in looking presentable. I was recently at a wedding and made sure that I wore a good suit, crisp shirt and good looking tie. I always make sure my shoes look well maintained and polished also. Of course, beneath that veneer is some lovely lingerie.

When in female clothes I try to look as elegant as I can. Strangely I get pleasure both ways but much more in female mode.

I think I take my cue from my Mother, who always looked beautifully turned out when she left the house.

Looking around today I see a lot of sloppy dressing from both sexes, but men in particular look a mess on the whole. So often I see a well dressed woman accompanied by a sloppy looking male.

I'm probably in the minority, but I like to be well-dressed in male mode. I have a fairly high profile job which requires me to meet with attorneys, CPA's, corporate exec's, and the occasional politician, so I have an extensive male wardrobe which includes several expensive suits by Polo, Oxxford, Brooks Bros., and the shirts, ties, belts and shoes which go with the territory. I pay attention to how I look, and there have been days when I spend fifteen minutes trying to decide which tie/shirt combination I want, and tie/retie my necktie several times to get the lengths perfect. On weekends I like to wear Levi 501's, cashmere sweaters, turtlenecks, and good sneakers or sandals.

My female wardrobe is much more casual, but I still have more items from say, Harve Benard and Ralph Lauren than from PacSun or Old Navy. I think that my biggest problem in selecting clothes is trying to remember that I should be wearing clothes that would look good on Caitlyn Jenner rather than clothes which would look fabulous on Beyonce. I would love to be able to wear miniskirts or party dresses and super Femme lingerie, but instead I just pretty much go with what a late fifties/early sixties professional woman would wear. My dreams are pretty small, huh?

TarrOfDelite

I have a TS friend, she was also a very well dressed male for business. Now she is a very well dressed female for work, is a combination of great female and casual female for non-work.

Laughs about all the great male clothing she has gotten rid of.