Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Displaying macho traits

Quote Originally Posted by Jennie-cd View Post
    I'd say I did (have done) the things that interested me but shaded my behavior to appear more solidly cisgender than a real cisgender male would have to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennie-cd View Post
    For example, I rode motorcycles because I like riding motorcycles and I think I'd have liked it no matter what sex I was born. But amongst other riders (male or female)
    I would curtail myself from acting on instincts that I thought might show me as unmanly and thus open up a crack in the armor that would "expose" me.
    That's my experience too. I played rugby because I loved it (and was useless at soccer) not because I necessarily saw it as macho. My career and hobbies are in areas that are predominantly ma!e but they are what interest me and what I'm good at.
    However, 'boy me' will not, under any circumstances, wear pink or even glance at, or comment upon, a shop window full of dresses. At least, not in the company of anyone who knows him!

Although I did wear things like my mom's girdle and stockings while a pre-teen and then late teens early 20's dressed in some of my girl friend's dresses, I never thought of myself as a CD'er, too naive I guess, so anything I did that could be considered macho I did because it appealed to me for other reasons other than trying to hide my dressing and prove myself. Also I can't ever remember feeling anything approaching self loathing or disgust with myself because of dressing so there wasn't a need to prove how manly I was.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Did what I wanted to do because I wanted to do it. Had nothing to do with machoness or lack thereof.
    Jon

Hello ladies,
    Thank you all for responding to this thread, I've enjoyed reading all the replies!
    All the so called "macho" pastimes I've done and attempted, I have done because I've had fun doing them, I'm a believer in the old adage, "you wouldn't do it if it wasn't fun"applies here! As my example in the OP, I still surf but the wave aren't as big, it could be that I don't ride the big waves because Im older and the body can't do it anymore. or my thoughts on the matter, is that I've come to terms with myself and I have nothing to prove to myself and I'm happy having Rosie being a big part of me.

Rosie

With Carr

No. When I was a teen I didn't think about being feminine or masculine. I did things with my male friends that were fun and of course those things were more on the masculine side. But I sucked at sports and excelled at music. I think everybody wants to fit in with their peers especially in the teen years. I don't think I ever conciously decided on a career or activity to conceal my cross dressing.
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Pirate Queen wannabe Maria Blackwood's Avatar
    Never felt any need to be macho. I'm just not wired for it. I never felt I needed to be fixed in the sense it's being used here. As I've stated elsewhere, I'd change genders if there were some suoerscience way to do so down to the chromosomes, but there isn't, and won't be in my lifetime, so I dress as much as I can to feel what I can.

I never did anything macho in an effort to conceal or hide my dressing. I always did what I felt like doing and had no problem keeping them separate.

Breathes under water prettytoes's Avatar
    My profession (I happen to be a custom woodworker) is something I do because it is what I love. I have always enjoyed working with wood, it's something that has been in my blood as long as I can remember...just like my dressing. My hobbies include hunting, kayak fishing, scuba diving, as well as a few others. I do these things because I enjoy them, not because they are "macho".
    Life's too short to not be enjoyed! Live each day to the fullest!

A list of my hobbies and avocations would get maximum macho points. There is hardly a thrill sport I haven't at least tried at some point. Shooting enthusiast. Retired from a very macho profession. Etc. But nope. None of it was every compensation for the presence of Kelly. I just loved those pursuits. Some might say that cross dressing is something of a "thrill sport", but it pales in comparison to a lot of my pastimes, not because it never was. Most of you know what I mean. Now though, it's "the pretty" that is the juice.

" .... do you feel you did these macho careers and pastimes to try to hide/ conceal your dressing to proof to yourself that you lived up to societies perceived ideas on masculinity?"

No, though I never gave much thought to the idea I might be using my career/profession as a "beard" for my crossdressing and gender identity issues. In fact, if I were to pick a place to "hide out" it wouldn't be within the close confines and strict regulatory environment of the military [carrier pilot, 30 yrs]. I was just there to have fun.

I will tell you what DID drive me towards things like my profession and the sports I played. The fear of a father who literally forced his "sissy" son into rough games and sports. I hadn't yet grown to know my adult body, and through most of high school I was pretty much a scrawny weakling, and probably didn't have an honest aggressive bone in my body. Dad was having none of that.

The funny, almost odd thing, is that I actually excelled at some of them (wrestling, for example). The same thing happened when I entered Naval service and learned to fly jets. I never had a burning dream to be a fighter pilot. Wasn't part of my Life Plan. I was a school teacher at the time. An opportunity availed itself to enter flight training. Because I was always more of a studious Nerd than the Macho Athlete, I found that flying jets was fairly easy. I had a knack for it, and except for a few hair-raising moments, it was a lot of damn fun. I never really thought of it as "the macho thing to do", except when shipmates got drunk and started to act the boorish fighter pilot part. I was so different inside and underneath from most of my fellow aviators.

The reality is, for me, that these "macho things" found me. I didn't seek or find them.
    There resides within me a Woman, and she is powerful.
    She has been my Grace and Bearing on the stormiest seas.
    I could no more deny Her than I would my own soul.

I am a male but I have never considered myself to be macho, I don't think this is a result of my crossdressing rather it's just the way I am.

I played rugby at school but after that I have never been into that type of sport so I have never been in that male dominated environment. My 'sport' has always been motor-sport and I competed in off-road racing for many years. Whilst this might appear to be macho there were almost as many females involved in all aspects of the sport as there were males. So I suppose that in all divisions of my life, be it work or play I have been in a mixed environment which tends to suppress macho traits.

I think if you asked my friends about me they would say that I am compassionate and have a sensitive nature, not in the sense of being easily offended, but more that I am aware of how others are feeling and do not go out of my way to be offensive.

Until I retired I did a manual job and I do enjoy a beer or two but I can't say that makes me macho. Conversely I don't think I come over at all effeminate so perhaps I would be classified as gender neutral.
    Sasha

Aspiring Member
    I joined the military because it was a statutory duty, but wasn't in a posting that required me to be Rambo Part V by vocation. But by culture? For the most part, yes.
    Earlier on I was more nerd than jock, and it still carries till today - not that I'd expect it to change in a counterfactual world where I was a GG. I do more sports now, in any case; it's always a necessity to keep fit, rather than any form of overcompensation. My interest in motoring is just that; I wasn't exactly raised with it.

I am curious, though, if anyone here bodybuilds or lifts. I obviously don't do either (although dumbbells are part of my workout).

Reality Check
    "My question is do you feel you did these macho careers and pastimes to try to hide/ conceal your dressing to proof to yourself that you lived up to societies perceived ideas on masculinity?"

Nope, not at all. I just did what I enjoyed and what came naturally to me. I never connected anything in my life to crossdressing.

I'm not sure whether or not a person's hobbies or recreational activities are much of an indication of gender identity. I've always been involved in strenuous athletic activities because I enjoy the endorphin rush that they give me. As a youth I played varsity baseball, basketball and football, served in a military unit which required me to jump out of perfectly good airplanes, and lifted heavy weights in the gym. In adult life my avocations and recreational sports have included long distance cycling, downhill skiing, rock climbing, handball, squash, and backpacking on the Appalachian Trail. When I was a young pre-pubescent boy I got a lot of teasing because I had pale skin, dark blonde hair, blue eyes, and lips like cherries, but I never identified with girls' pursuits at that time, so I don't think that my attraction to strenuous sports was due to that. I didn't realize that I am transgender, and bisexual, until I was well into young adulthood.