Thread: Be careful, it's slippery out there!

Be careful, it's slippery out there!

I stopped by a local big box hardware store today to buy a strainer for my bathroom sink. My drain is starting to clog up more frequently now that my hair is getting longer. After I paid for the strainer and was getting ready to leave the store, the checkout guy warns me with a concerned look, "be careful out there, the parking lot is really icy and slippery." I smiled and thanked him, but inside I just chuckled to myself. Never mind that I was wearing ASICS trail running shoes with good traction on the outsoles! Stuff like this happens so often now that I usually just smile and shrug it off, but the way men treat me (and other women) as being incapable of taking care of ourselves is sometimes annoying. But it's also kind of funny.

On another note, I finally got around to changing my Naturalization Certificate. (I'm a naturalized US citizen) I legally changed my name last summer, but was kind of procrastinating on this document, since it's not usually used for anything. But I figured I should get it done in case it becomes more difficult to do so later on. To my surprise it costs a lot! The application fee is $555! So sad. That brings the total fees for changing my name everywhere (court costs, driver's license, and various accounts) to about $1500. Transitioning is just so insanely expensive.

The shoes I was wearing:
    asics shoes.JPG
    Last edited by Mirya; 01-12-2017 at 03:42 PM.

Silver Member
    You know, I've read that from other gals that have transitioned. It is interesting. But I wonder if his thought was, "She's kinda cute. Say something. Be flirty. Be studly. Be helpful. Yes yes. That's it! She won't be able to resist my charm. Oh, there she goes... and I didn't even ask for her number"

I have to agree, take it as a complement. He was probably flirting a bit and likely looking out for your concern. I have been told that as a male, because a parking lot is pretty dangerous when it is icy. It is sometimes just what one say's as hows the weather question..
    Part Time Girl

Those don't look like ice skates to me...LO.L. Be careful out there Hon!

There's a bright side. I haven't carried anything that weighs more than 11 pounds out of Home Depot in 4 years. 'Let me get that ma'am'. Love it.

I see a lot of places ask that as a courtesy for many people, I always figure for me it is old people.

If it makes you feel good, go for it.

The comments about flirting are interesting. I'll admit I'm still kind of slow at recognizing it when it happens. For example, earlier this week a guy asked for my number, and it wasn't until that point that I realized he had been flirting with me. But no, the guy at the hardware store was like 20 yrs older than me. I'm pretty sure he wasn't flirting.

Silver Member
    All the more reason to flirt!

Well I think we can safely say that a bit of both was at play here. Great choice in shoes BTW! I use to work at the Running Room here in Canada.
    I'm a Mizuno girl myself but Asics are great too.
    Rider19s.jpg

Actually those aren't my regular running shoes. I just like them for everyday wear because they're comfortable and kinda cute. When I go out for a run, I wear the nicer ASICS gel-nimbus line. But Mizuno is great too! I have Mizuno running gloves for when it's cold outside...

i've said that to men also, and had people say it. I don't see it as a gender-specific signal in the UK.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

Reality Check
    Sneakers may not help you on ice. They are better than six inch heels of course but you still need to be careful and keep your weight balanced over your feet.

I'm surprised the store didn't do something about the ice instead of just warning you about it.

Queen of Chinatown jennifer0918's Avatar
    How tall was this checkout guy?4 feet tall?I like to look at people's faces not at there shoes.

I slipped on ice and broke my hip, in a parking lot, 9 years ago. It was the crazyest thing . I am rather fit and was able to get back up and walk on my broken hip but it was severally broken and very painful !