Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Women's territory (GG comments appreciated)

Women's territory (GG comments appreciated)

As is shown in the thread "Sales Assistants know what you are up to", the general tendency is that SAs are most of the time pleasant or at least very professional.
    I have the same experience, in particular the woman is a little clothes shop I used to go. I always said I was buying stuff for my girlfriend. Sometimes she helped me finding a size or something else and when I said "I think my girlfriend will like a this", she always said back me with a smile "She has good taste".
    I always try to go shopping during off-peak hours. However, I notice that if SA are mostly comfortable, some customers seem not to be. I feel that it is not that they are judging me; but more that I make them uncomfortable and I really don't want to. I don't do anything creepy or weird since I just browse the racks.

Do you notice the same thing ?
    For GG, does a man shopping in women shop make you feel uncomfortable ? And if yes, why ?
    Boys who dress as girls have more fun.

About six months ago I went into a boutique shop which does have a lot of items for cross-dressers.

When I asked the SA for some heels sz.13 to try on a young female customer behind me let out a giggle.

I was OK with it thinking she thought it was funny, not creepy.
    "This is ME" I am not CRAZY, I'm just a GUY who likes dresses!
    Since allot of men dress up in woman's clothing that makes it a manly thing to do!
    Much more fun than fishing.
    I do construction like house building and I love CD-ing, what's the difference?

If only dreams came true. susancheerleader's Avatar
    I was wondering about the women's section at Sears last week. I pretended I was just browsing. But an associate came and asked if she can help. Instinctively I said no. Although I really did need help. End result I left empty handed.

I used to go in with a list or the website up on my phone and walk right up to the counter and ask if they have this in stock as I want it for a present for my wife. Now I just walk right up to the rack and start looking. Sometimes the SA will ask if I need help and I just reply no I am just looking. Never had any glances or weird looks as of yet.

I do try and make sure the store is not too full as I am a male shopping in a women clothing store and I don't want to make anyone uncomfortable.
    Be Yourself, And Be Fabulous While Doing it!

GG here--it does not make me at all uncomfortable to have a male shopping in the women's section, regardless of the items. It's his business why he's shopping--could be for himself, or could be for a family member.
    If you are a Genetic Female (Female at Birth) and would like to join us in the F.A.B. Forum, please follow the link.

F.A.B. Forum Access

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    It's only fairly recently I've started buying things for myself and the SAs have always been helpful. I'm still not totally comfortable with it but each time does get a little easier.
    Here today, gone tomorrow....

I have shopped for literally hundreds of items of women's clothing. I have done so in male and female modes. I have tried things on in both male and female modes. I have purchased lingerie in both male and female modes. I have had bra fittings in both male and female modes. No one cares! You are a customer, plain and simple. Act like you belong because you do! Fellow customer will only feel uncomfortable if you are acting nervous, acting like you don't belong. Be confident in all situations and you will have very little issues. Now if you are simply there to browse, then you are not acting in the capacity of being a customer and that makes it different. You may well be perceived as being "creepy" by customers.
    Visit Kandi's Land (http://www.kandis-land.com/) daily! Nothing but positive and uplifting posts!
    Pictures and stories of every time out: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131254150@N06/.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I have only had one problem with an SA and it was in a VS store so I don't shop there plus the products aren't all that great either.
    Like Mimi said about how she feels about it I find most women have no problem with guys shopping in the womens section.

I agree with Kandi.

Aspiring Member
    There are retailers that are CD friendly. I shop at two in Canada, Reitman's and Addition-Elle. Always made to feel welcome, they let me try things on, have fit me for clothes and bras, and give great advice on what works or not for me. Obviously, they know I am shopping for myself! If it makes you less nervous call ahead and ask, or e-mail their Customer Service dept. They will tell you the best time to drop in when the store is empty. I usually go on a weekday right after they open. They even offered to let me in a half hour before opening if it made me more comfortable.

I used to go shopping for clothes in the women's sections for my wife. I never even gave it a second thought that I was a man browsing in the woman's section. I thought it was perfectly normal for a man to be shopping for clothes for his wife/girlfriend. I never felt self-conscious or felt that I was being watched or that I was making women uncomfortable.

So when I started shopping in the women's sections for myself I didn't feel any different. I feel totally comfortable and not at all self-conscious. How would anyone know if I was looking for clothes for my SA or for myself. So shopping for women's clothes while dressed in drab gives me absolutely no second thoughts.

I also shop while in Fem. That makes me a little more nervous. Going into the dressing rooms always gives me a little trepidation for fear that someone will disapprove. But so far, I have gotten no adverse reaction to going into dressing rooms and trying on clothes.

Platinum Member
    Hi Karine, I have been shopping for women's clothes for many years
    and I will shop in the women's section of JCPENNEY'S or the lumber section at HOME DEPOT
    either place I just pick up what I want and never have a problem......
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Silver Member
    In some cases women are surprised to see a guy shopping for women's clothes no matter which section you are in. I've shopped since the 50s for women's clothes all over the country. Some women seem more uncomfortable than others. I've noticed women holding up panties or bras become uncomfortable as I came into the area. On the other hand some could care less. Had a younger woman tell her friend the size she was looking for as I picked up a bra in that size. I handed it to her she was like a deer in headlights. When she recovered she asked what size I was looking for. Unfortunately they didn't have it.

I was at a sale one time and picked up a very expensive bra marked down to $2. A larger woman had picked up the other end and wanted it as well.

When I commented that it would fit me better than her she released her end and I took possession of the said item.

We were both young and she came home with me to see it fit after I asked her for a date. :-)
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Silver Member
    I don'y know if GG's are bothered by us shopping since in most cases they will be thinking we are shopping for an SO. Once you grab the same item in more than one size, the perceptive ones will figure it out if they care to.
    I have had many positive exchanges with fellow shoppers from flat out compliments when trying things on to being pointed toward more of what I'm looking at....
    Only time I have had anything but pleasant interactions with other shoppers, was when I was really just shopping for bathing suits in a department store for my SO and a woman whispered to another "What guy would try to buy a swimsuit for a woman?" Her friend replied "Yeah, maybe it is for him?" they clearly then moved to the other rack with some sideways glances. I soon found two, (she still wears them often today) I then walked past both of them with my the ones I selected (I'm no size 6 but one of them may have been) and said "Excuse me but if you are looking for any in size 6, I found a bunch on that rack, I got these two." Their faces were priceless, followed by some stuttering of Thank you....I smiled an went on my way.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    I have only had one problem with an SA and it was in a VS store so I don't shop there plus the products aren't all that great either.
    Like Mimi said about how she feels about it I find most women have no problem with guys shopping in the womens section.

I agree with Kandi.
    I have to say that I love VS swimwear and find their bikini bottoms to be a good fit for me. I buy on line, though, so cannot speak as to their salespeople. In general I am not sure whether it is better to buy men's or girls' panties. Birch Place do gorgeous frillies for men, with lovely lining and great material, but otherwise men's panties often feel cheap and nasty. I hate the gross ones with willy tubes sticking out - yeuch! Girls' panties sometimes fit OK and sometimes don't. But I have found VS ones to be OK.

I often shop the women's section for both myself and my wife. Always in drab. My wife shares the fact that I shop for her, and she loves to quip that I "dress her." Reactions run from a tepid, "Oh, how nice" to a, "that is so great! I wish my husband/boyfriend would. . ."

So anyway, I have experienced the same from other GG customers while I'm shopping. Most don't say anything, and I occasionally see the looking-but-not-looking furtive glance my way. I just love the curious ones who strike up a conversation - some to be friendly and some to probe for insights into why I'm shopping in the women's area. 98% of the time the exchanges are innocuous and fun.

It has never been a problem for me. I cannot remember ever getting "bad" looks or comments from women shoppers. A long time ago I was shopping in the lingerie section of Marks and Spencers in Britain. As it happened, that day I was indeed shopping on behalf of my wife and had a handful of knickers etc. while waiting at the cash register. Two young women nearby complimented me for shopping there and appearing comfortable as I selected the items my wife needed.

Stay Calm and Carry On Shopping and always make sure you smile and compliment the SA while doing so.

Can't say I ever paid any attention to it honestly, or even notice. I'm busy looking for what I need not worrying about the people around me.
    Situations that might raise attention/eyebrows/suspicion/discomfort:
    If a man is holding clothes up to himself and looking at a mirror. I'm not sure if that would equal judging, maybe for some, but some might think "oh... he's a crossdresser." And yeah, it would get attention because many women haven't actually known a crossdresser would be curious as to what a crossdresser might look like not dressed. It's just not expected. I'm sure some might get uncomfortable but definitely not everyone.
    If a man is spending more time looking at the women shopping and not at the clothing. This is because women are constantly suspicious of a male's motives, especially if he is in an area that is more populated by women than men. A man shopping at victoria's secret usually means buying for gf/wife but if he's at victoria's secret staring at the other shoppers, a red light flashes in our heads yelling "PREDATOR!" We are raised that way.

The reason I bring the second one up is because I have read a few accounts on here of crossdressers admiring women, their clothes, their make up, etc. and possibly being a bit obvious about it. I guarantee the first thought is "he wants to do something to me" not "he wants what I'm wearing." Just like they teach in harassment training at work, it's not about the intention, it's how it's received.

I'm not comparing CD to predators in any way, just wanted to point out that in public we are on constant watch to protect ourselves.

Silver Member
    I've always bought everything feminine, from makeup, lingerie, shoes, wigs and every type of outer clothing, as a male and have never had a problem. Its fun to browse the same sales rack with a female(s). I always hold the garment up,including most lingerie, to examine it, and have even asked a female shopper what she thought of it. Ditto with SAs that may ask if you need help (use their help, if needed). They are always happy to comment or offer suggestions as to what would look good with it. Act with confidence, and know your sizes. You'll do just fine.

I've been shopping for myself in women's sections for more than three years and I have yet to see a sign of disapproval from younger or older women - even when at an underwear section. And to be honest, when I first entered a store I thought that all eyes were set on me just because it's "women's territory". It's not that I was on the lookout for the signs; I just didn't catch any stares of worried looks when at stores.

I think it's what Magnetar GG said about men spending more time looking at the other women that could be a problem. If I just pay attention to the clothes all seems to be fine and well.

Actually, I have only seen some kind of discomfort on the part of an another man at women's underwear section.

Hi girls,

Thank you all for your feeback. As most of you, most women don't really. Just a quick glimpse.
    However, on rare occasions, the stares were more insistent.
    Maybe, It's because I am sometimes a little nervous and look out to see if someone was is looking at me and in return women look at me. Some king of vicious circle.
    I will follow your advice and be as natural as possible.

It reminds me my only bad experience. I was asking the SA if there was my size for a pair of heels, and a guy, who was accompanying his girlfirend, scowled at me. I give him his stare back in a way that said "Mind your business". End of the story.
    Confidence is surely our best ally. I have to keep it in mind.

Karine.
    Boys who dress as girls have more fun.

Well, it wouldn't bother me. SA's make me uncomfortable usually, and a lot of my GG friends. We would ra
    ther just be left alone..maybe they are just happy that they have someone that wants their help!

We were at the large thrift store here. Openly talking about the tops i was looking for. She found some clogs for her and helped me find matching tops for a couple skirts and heels. Several people helped and pointed witch rack had them. And a lot of nice conversations and one SA when we found the short sleeve one, walked up and pointed out the long sleeve rack. She knew they were for me. So it was a fun time shopping. And many time we bought stuff and I always put mine down to keep separate from hers. There was no problems at any store we went to like that.
    Last edited by Dana44; 01-23-2017 at 04:49 PM.
    Part Time Girl

Platinum Member
    I know I have told this story several times on the site. Once I stopped at the Catherine's store located on the Southcenter Mall Blvd in Tukwila. I was looking for Velrose slips. I knew exactly what I wanted and I could see the rack of slips through the window as I approached the store. I was attired in slack and a shirt with a collar. I was clean shaven. As I entered unaccompanied by a woman you'd think the Martians had landed. Or a holdup was going to occur. The two sales associates who were middle aged looked like a deer caught in the headlights. I really did not need any assistance as I approached the rack of slip because I knew the size and colors I wanted. It appeared they could not wait for me to leave the store. An ordinary guy buying a slip or two? It was also interest because there was an older scruffy looking man who was obviously totally bored waiting for his wife to get done. So, it was not just the male presence in the store. It was an unaccompanied male in a store which sells only clothing made for women.

In defense of Catherine's I have in the past shopped and enthusiastically greeted at Catherine's located at the Commons in Federal Way, Lakewood, Tacoma Central (closed). At those locations the sales associates were late twenties to the forties. Go figure.

Also, a very long time ago I stopped at an independently owned and operated (now defunct) store also in Tukwila where the proprietor kept the door locked to keep out any males attired in women's clothing. I was on the way home wearing a sport coat, shirt and tie. I was looking for floor length nightgowns. This was before Washington State enacted its current anti-discrimination laws.

I've found a seasoned female associate is more than willing to wait on a guy in a woman's domain. The only except I found is really young woman (teenagers) who have not encountered transwomen or crossdressers. It seems they probably lived a sheltered life and have not encountered us.

Aspiring Member
    Once not too long ago I was shopping in drab for makeup in a large drug store. A very attractive SA came to ask if she could help. She said in a nice way "it's pretty unusual to see a man in this section". I had a pretty good idea what I wanted and I simply answered "I'm a crossdresser, and think I know what I need, just looking for the right shade". She again in a nice way replied with no trace of prejudice "oh, I see, no problem, well, I'm right over there behind the counter in the next aisle; if you need me don't hesitate to ask".