Thread: OK...so tell me about keystone....

OK...so tell me about keystone....

so ive seen the pictures....heard the stories....im intrigued by the amount of CD.com folks who go and would love to meet so many from here, im not a barfly at this point of my life and finances have me needing to be frugal so that would most likely help....so is it possible to go there be thrifty and and still have a good time ?
    ....Mykell
    i dressed like a girl and i liked it! crossdressing...theirs an app for that

Keystone can be much more than just dressing and parties. I think they had about 700 last year.

They have lectures that appeal to both CD and TS, that are free. They have nights out to town if interested. They do have luncheons and dinners, but have to pay extra, to meet with lots and usually a guest speaker.

If you go with someone, I guess you could split room costs. Also other close motels. I would go to the web site for costs. www.keystone-conference.org/

I went last year because a lot of my friends were going. I went to the TS lectures for background.

The lectures aren't free, but included in most of the packages. I usually go for the full conference, but you can save some money on meals, and if you share a room.

But it is really amazing. I've told this story before here, so I'll make it short. I was talking to a random girl who just happened to be standing next to me waiting for the doors to open for dinner on Saturday night. After talking for about 10 minutes, we found out that: (1) we grew up in the same home town, (2) we graduated from the same high school, (3) we graduated the same year, and (4) we ran track together. Of course I knew him 40 years ago as a boy. Where else can that happen by random chance.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Mikell I am like you on a limited budget to I'm thinking about going and I got some info from S. Lisa Smith for a near buy hotel it a bit cheaper I think I can do it
    hugs
    Ronda

It's absolutely possible to attend and not spend a fortune, but you'll have to watch your meals, and stay away from makeovers and wigs and jewelry and hips and breast forms and...
    The conference itself is not very expensive, and as Ronda mentioned, there are less expensive hotels nearby.
    It's awesome to meet people from here and elsewhere in real life, and put faces to names.
    When the answers escape us when we start to fade
    Remember who loved you and the ones who have stayed
    Cause my body will fail, but my soul will go on
    So don't you get lonely I'm right where you are

Worth every dollar spent! You can also apply for a scholarship to cover some of the costs should you qualify.
    There are classes on Thursday and Friday that are given no where else. Experts and professionals will walk you thru all of these very useful classes. And once you arrive it's non stop until Sunday Morning.
    If you can go, do so. You won't regret any costs as the Benefits are much greater!
    Be yourself. Everyone else is taken!

heidi it was mentioned that a shout out to you was in order sooooo....WHATS SUP

Quote Originally Posted by steftoday View Post
    It's absolutely possible to attend and not spend a fortune, but you'll have to watch your meals, and stay away from makeovers and wigs and jewelry and hips and breast forms and...
    The conference itself is not very expensive, and as Ronda mentioned, there are less expensive hotels nearby.
    It's awesome to meet people from here and elsewhere in real life, and put faces to names.
    thats what im afraid of.......like to eat.....hankering for a makeover......or a personal technician at my beck and call.....was thinking of looking at wigs before i go.....have not found the big box store breasts "R" us.....

putting real faces to names was my real interest.....
    ....Mykell

Keystone is fun, affirming and a blast. If you are on a budget, you will have to watch your alcohol and food intake. Don't buy a bunch of stuff, just go to the seminars and learn. Some of the lunches and dinners are included. There are ways to save. I negotiated a great deal on a hotel nearby, PM me if you want to know the details. A bunch of us are staying there. Ask about the scholarship, see about a roommate. It is so worth it!!!
    Please call me Lisa!

I don't do seminars.

Especially seminars on gender issues.

Especially seminars on gender issues at conferences sponsored by groups of plastic surgeons and biomedical groups specializing in, and with a heavy financial interest in, persuading you to transition for their profit.

But if that's your thing, I guess go for it.
    And so we go, on with our lives...
    We know the Truth, but prefer Lies.
    Lies are simple, simple is Bliss.
    Why go against tradition, when we can admit defeat,
    Live in Decline, be the victim of our own design?

Those were some of the reasons I didn't go to First Event. Seemed so transition, and medically oriented in the schedule. I just wanted to go hang out with a group of like minded ladies in a safe relaxed environment.
    Inside my heart is breaking
    My make-up may be flaking
    But my smile still stays on

Hey Wen4, Keystone is NOT put on by doctors. It's controlling body is Trans Central Pa. There are surgeons who have booths in the vendor area and do offer a seminar or two. At no time was I forced to listen to their pitch. Several hundred of the attendees never see a surgeon or talk to one. The surgeons are there for those who are actively seeking services.
    I for one, had a blast being with the other ladies all week and couldn't have been happier.

At Keystone you will meet the entire spectrum of transgendered folks. From crossdressers (gender fluid) to folks who have had GCS (the old term is GRS) and everyone in between. There is no pressure and if you don't go in the vender area, you may not see a surgeon or other doctor. What it is as an opportunity to meet likeminded folks and spend time with them. It is a lot of fun meeting girls from here in real life. It is put on by volunteers who are not concerned with whether you are going to use a doctor's services or not.
    Please call me Lisa!

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi Stevens View Post
    Hey Wen4, Keystone is NOT put on by doctors. It's controlling body is Trans Central Pa. There are surgeons who have booths in the vendor area and do offer a seminar or two. At no time was I forced to listen to their pitch. Several hundred of the attendees never see a surgeon or talk to one. The surgeons are there for those who are actively seeking services.
    I for one, had a blast being with the other ladies all week and couldn't have been happier.
    What Heidi said. You aren't forced to listen to or see any doctor unless you decide to sit in their seminars, or speak with them in the vendor area. And as Heidi also stated, Trans Central PA runs the conference.
    When the answers escape us when we start to fade
    Remember who loved you and the ones who have stayed
    Cause my body will fail, but my soul will go on
    So don't you get lonely I'm right where you are

To add what Lisa, Heidi, and Stef said ( whom I met at Keysone last year and had an awesome time), this is not a high pressure doctor surgery sale, as a matter of fact, you don't have to attend any of the seminars at all.

My reccommendation would be to log in to their site and download the program from last year, ( menu go to About-> Previous years). To see if anything contained in the program has an interest to you

In no way did I mean to imply that one was 'forced' to go to lectures. That would be a bit Orwellian, wouldn't it? But with these types of conferences, attendees are encouraged to go to them, to "learn stuff." It's already happened at least 4 times in the first page of this thread alone. Keystone is a conference which features primarily lectures, workshops, and seminars, surrounded by other things such as vending and social functions which act as attractions.

There are other gatherings around the country which are strictly social and no one will be lecturing you, 'educating' you, or otherwise 'supporting' you with anything but friendship, but Keystone is definitelty not one of these.

They don't list the specific content of their workshops on their site, just 'TBA,' and they don't list their sponsors on the site anymore. But I've checked at various times in years' past (when they did list them,) and the vast majority of big money sponsors were always plastic surgeons and pharma HRT peddlers. To me, who is directly organizing the event doesn't matter nearly as much as who is actually paying the hard cash for the event to be put on.

And it is also to be noted that a significant chunk of the Saturday schedule is devoted to medical consultations - - which I said , this is fine, if that's your thing.

I am sure many people like this type of highly organized community support event, others find it stifling and a bit creepy, and find themselves completely unable to be comfortable or relax in such a predatory environment. I just happen to fall in the latter is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Wen4cd View Post
    There are other gatherings around the country which are strictly social and no one will be lecturing you, 'educating' you, or otherwise 'supporting' you with anything but friendship, but Keystone is definitelty not one of these.

They don't list the specific content of their workshops on their site, just 'TBA,' and they don't list their sponsors on the site anymore. But I've checked at various times in years' past (when they did list them,) and the vast majority of big money sponsors were always plastic surgeons and pharma HRT peddlers. To me, who is directly organizing the event doesn't matter nearly as much as who is actually paying the hard cash for the event to be put on.

And it is also to be noted that a significant chunk of the Saturday schedule is devoted to medical consultations - - which I said , this is fine, if that's your thing.

I am sure many people like this type of highly organized community support event, others find it stifling and a bit creepy, and find themselves completely unable to be comfortable or relax in such a predatory environment. I just happen to fall in the latter is all.
    You are certainly welcome to your opinion. You have never been to Keystone. Their early schedule is always full of TBAs until they get the full lineup of talks. There is nothing creepy or predatory about it. Go or not go, but name calling is not called for especially if you have never been.
    Please call me Lisa!

The only predator I saw all week was an "admirer" who was hitting on us one night. The security hired by Keystone removed him as soon as ladies began to complain. The Keystone community is safe and respectful. There is no pressure placed on you at anytime, every one is there to help as much as you want to take. Come once and you will be back every year after.

My apologies for anything negative. Just a pet peeve of mine.

thanks for all the kind reply's, will be looking to find accommodations and see what is cost effective for myself.....

Quote Originally Posted by Wen4cd View Post
    In no way did I mean to imply that one was 'forced' to go to lectures. That would be a bit Orwellian, wouldn't it? But with these types of conferences, attendees are encouraged to go to them, to "learn stuff." It's already happened at least 4 times in the first page of this thread alone. Keystone is a conference which features primarily lectures, workshops, and seminars, surrounded by other things such as vending and social functions which act as attractions.
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...........
    not sure what thread you are referencing as this only has one page at this time....someone has to sponsor the event and companies or surgeons that seize the opportunity to recognize theyre target audience is obviously common sense....someone thinking they have gender issues are not likely to go to the plumbers convention which would be filled with contractors and companies pitching fancy kitchen and bath products. yes ? not so nefarious if you intend to remodel your kitchen or bath ?
    ....Mykell