Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone ever?

Aspiring Member

Has anyone ever?

Hi all,

Has anyone ever gone dressed (with little make up) into a town/city away from home and gone to a make up counter/store and asked to try products without booking an appointment.

I know my SO has done this and I'm sure it's pretty common place in the UK but I wondered what, if any, the reaction would be if I were to do just this!

There is method behind my madness... As I'm in the closet I do not have the ability to store many things and currently live out of a bag hidden away safely so this could be a way of experiencing so reasonably applied make up for an hour or so in a place where nobody knows me!

I'm an all or nothing kinda person and have only ventered outside once before very early in the morning under the cover of darkness so the above would not only be a massive thrill but also the kind of thing that would spur me on to get out there.

I had also thought of going to the said counter/store in drab first and sounding out the counter staff to gauge there willingness to assist but feel spontaneous arrival a more exciting and intreaging way of doing things.

Any thoughts/opinions/past experiences would be most welcomed.

Lots of love

Miss Secret x

I did this in central London. Was dressed 'girl next door' style. Girls jeans, girly top - jewellery etc
    I went to Bobby Brown's in Covent Garden and a very nice assistant asked if I would like a make over!!!!
    I did ......... and I spent a LOT of money!
    It was a great experience and not nearly as scary as you might imagine. Just dress for the day and don't go over the top would be my advice.
    x

I checked out a counter in London once for a new years party I was going to.

I was in drab and they could not be more enthusiastic than to see me come back dressed.

On New Years Eve I was dressed and three or four girls all helped with the makeover.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I've never gone dressed (although I'm more seriously contemplating it now that my dressing has evolved) but I've gone in drab to get makeovers on at least 20 occasions.. 9 times out of 10 I call the store first to make sure that they're open to the idea, but on a rare occasion I'll just pop in if I get the right vibe from the MUA.

Funniest story from that - I was having a makeover done in the D.C. area about a decade ago, and an older gentleman walked into a display in the middle of the aisle because he was staring at me disapprovingly. The MUA and I giggled as I quipped "So who's causing the scene here?"

20141111-CD Unsorted-D7000-0738.jpg

Has anyone ever gone dressed (with little make up) into a town/city away from home and gone to a make up counter/store and asked to try products without booking an appointment.

Simple answer yes. I was away from home spending time as Helen and out for the day dressed to blend with my usual daytime makeup on. I went into a Boots and found the No7 counter and asked one of the assistants if I could have a foundation match (Ta Dah!). I was treated like any GG would be. They found me a stool to sit on. The SO explained what she needed to do to remove an area of my existing makeup so she could use the machine to analyse my skin colour, did the test and then asked if I wanted to try the product which of course I did.

To cut to the chase, she applied the foundation plus some bronzer. Recommended which blushers and lipsticks when with those and then asked me if I wanted to buy any of the products which I did. You also get a colour chart so you can match any of the other products in the range to best suit you.

During the whole process I sat in the middle of the makeup area with muggles walking past and not once did it feel uncomfortable in fact quite the opposite. The SA was very mater of fact, we chatted about this and that, what foundation did I usually use, what did I like about it, did I live local, "Oh you're on holiday, where are you staying?" just the normal stuff.

Having paid for my items, be warned it's easy to part with £30 and way more, the SA said next time you're here come and see us and we'll retest you just to make sure your tone hasn't changed.

So I would say go for it. Act like you're meant to be there, don't skulk, have confidence, look the SA in the eye and smile. I'll certainly do it again in the future.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Silver Member
    Well, I live in a relatively large metropolitan area, so cross town. Mostly I make an appointment. I have been known to interactively shop for cloths, lingere and makeup in total boy mode on occasion.

Aspiring Member
    Thanks for the replies, I get the feeling I will need to go with a card loaded with £££ 😉 I love the story about the disapproving man Andrea 😂😂😂 It sounds like, although not an everyday occurance, the SA's will have encountered this before or at least had friends/colleague's that have.

As an update, I did go to the said town and changed in the back of my car.... Sat there for a while.... Got out and walked round the block then ran out of courage and got back in my car whilst I waited for my heart to stop trying to break out of my chest 🤣🤣

On reflection perhaps I'm not quite ready for the make over yet lol, took a couple of photo's of me in the car I might post (little disguised obvs) see if I get 5 a little later to get them on xxx

MissSecret, and Helen, you can now download an App for the Boots colour match; all you need to get is the colour match card available at any Boots store.
    Carole

WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum posts both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal action.

Aspiring Member
    So here is my little outfit. As I have said before all my girlie possessions live in a bag hidden in my car

This means I'm currently very limited in attire and make up

Still I'm quite happy with my winter collection however I would love a ladies coat to finish it off properly but have nowhere to reasonably hide it.

I made it out but not very far. It was spitting with rain so I could hide a little more under my little umbrella.

It is so amazing being outside even though I'm sorta hiding lol!

Feeling your freshly shaved legs in the cold air is Heavenly

X

Hi, I had a similar experience to Helen's only at the Bare Minerals counter in Selfridges in Oxford Street, London. The makeup artist couldn't have been more helpful or friendly. She had to remove a fair sized patch of my makeup so that I could see how their foundation worked (or not as it turned out!) When it was clear that their foundation didn't give the beard cover that I needed she used my TV stick and blusher to "repair the damage" (as she put it)! Of course, she did a much better job than I had in the first place. All in all, a very positive experience.
    P.S. I suspect that, knowing that I was a crossdresser, she tried harder to ensure that I was comfortable than she would have with a GG customer.

Quote Originally Posted by MissSecret View Post
    Feeling your freshly shaved legs in the cold air is Heavenly
    Don't know how cold it gets there. But WASH DC in dead winter is around the 32-50 F (0-10 C), can be quite chilly. Even more so if windy.
    I haven't had hair on my legs for over some 30+ years, and wear minimal underwear. If it is windy I will wear some leggings sometimes.

For me I always call ahead to give them the option....thats just me...I feel comfortable when they do.
    No regrets except I should have got dressed & stepped out sooner.

Yes, I've done it out of town, but, more importantly, I've done it in town, within 10 miles of my house. I could give you store names, but since you're across the pond, they wouldn't mean anything to you.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Looks to me that if you showed up dressed they'd be more likely to work you into trying out their products. They are in the business to sell products so surely they would help you.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I don't see driving to another town I just hit the make up stores close by.
    Never been asked if I want a make over but yeah I would do it on the spur of the moment.
    Andrea you look fabulous I just had to say it.

Banned Read only
    MissSecret,
    Last January i knew I had to sort my make up out as I was going out socially so I walked into Boots and asked for a colour match. The beautician was great and checked me for foundation and powder colour, she then showed me how to apply it with brushes. I did have customers walking past and giving me some odd looks and smiles but it was a great day for me and the beautician thanked me for letting me practice on a man, I was in drab at the time.

Yes - I usually go to a makeup counter with no makeup on so the SA can focus on the best match to my natural co!or

I too on one occasion got a makeover while in drab. You're right you do get the looks. The artist sat me right out into the front chair area. Guess she thought she might scare me a way. After she got into the swing of things and saw that I was not kidding she did a great job. It was at the "CLINIQUE' counter And I did end up doing what they are there for, I bought about $150 worth of make-ups that I was almost out of. Then footed the $100+ bill of my GG support person.
    And remember I was wearing my drab attire, Western Boots, Jeans, Tasseled leather jacket and black western hat.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:
    You do not have to be a man to love a woman, or be a woman to love women's clothes on her or yourself.

Aspiring Member
    Having had a night to sleep on it and then further reflection this morning having g read all of the comments I think I would be silly to try and do it too soon and maybe even better if I went with support.

All this means is that it probably won't happen til I have at least come out to my SO (probably never then!).

I'm in such a strange place with all this at the moment as I feel I'm having stronger feelings and thoughts taking ever bolder steps regarding CD.

X

MissSecret,

When I saw you'd replied my immediate thought was you were writing to say you'd been out and had a great time. As it turns out it's the opposite and you've decided to put your adventure on the "back burner".

Perhaps what you need to do is attempt something slightly less fraught, say a simple shopping trip just browsing the racks, something to help build your confidence. Who knows, while out and with nerves calmed you just might stray into the cosmetics section of one of the stores. Little steps.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

I've done it a few times. It's very nerve wracking when dressed in male mode - Once in MAC, I was constantly scanning the entrance to the shop in case someone I knew walked in. I don't know how that would have happened as I was soooo far from home. I had a fun time recently when I went for a makeover at a makeup artist's studio & it was much more relaxing. The only problem was I wanted to be dressed & go shopping afterwards so I had to walk to the studio in female clothes & hair etc, but no makeup. I shaved VERY close that morning!

I have not done that Miss S, but you have reminded me of a funny story.

About 2 years ago I was in a well known makeup store with my wife who was buying quite a few things, I was very much and male mode and was trying hard to not show any interest in the products surrounding me. The young and friendly sales assistant finished with my wife, turned to me and said how about you, want to try anything, pointed at some lip gloss and said that is your colour. It was totally a joke and the 3 of us had a good laugh, but my laugh was somewhat more ironic than the others.
    A.K.A Rebecca & Bec

I've gone both in drab and dressed. Both times looking for foundation and both times the SA were very helpful. Sat me down and try different ones till they found the right match.
    GLENDA
    I FEEL LIKE A WOMAN

Not quite but close.

I had made an appointment with a MAC consultant for a Saturday makeover in a large department store. I was told to not wear much makeup as it would all be removed anyway, so I wore practically none, just some face powder and a light lipstick. I was dressed fully as we were about to do a day out with a friend (cd) who was going with us to the makeover.
    Well, when we arrived instead of a few women about the counter there were about 100. It seems this was the weekend ALL the makeup counters were putting on a sale and demonstrations. I had no idea !!
    There were triple the consultants at each counter and women everywhere waiting for consultations. Needless to say I was a wreck at first. Then I realized that the women didn't care. No one confronted me, no one said anything rude. In fact some of them were actually watching intently as my makeup was done and asking me questions about my look.
    It went from a horror story to being one of the gals in just a few short minutes.

That day broke a lot of fears that I had about being in public.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Aspiring Member
    Becky and Cheryl I love it!!! Great stories x