Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Petticoats and Dresses

Petticoats and Dresses

I have always enjoyed the look of petticoats and a pretty dress and of course french maid uniforms and petticoats. I think it goes way back to watching movies with dancers and women in wonderful costumes I longed to look like. I do enjoy a nice dress and heels too. Wondering how may enjoy fun costume dress up when time allows?

My transvestism emerged and matured in a time when lovely slips and beautiful flowing dresses were more or less the norm. So, I love to dress that way and find those slips or petticoats to be outstanding works of decorative art.

There is a program on PBS called FATHER BROWN. It is a series of stories about a priest who is also a successful sleuth who solves murder cases. Light hearted stuff but well acted and in it there is a female character who dresses in 1950's styles with lovely flowing dresser/ frocks and in some scenes she appears in beautiful slips. I just watch it from time to time as I enjoy the fashions. I also loved to watch the character Mary in Dowton Abbey dress as she wore some really fabulous lingerie. By way of contrast, Victoria's Secret seems very boring.

So, I am with you. Dressing in slips/petticoats, dresses/frocks and heels and always with stockings not pantyhose is a favorite activity of mine.

I had a cute french maid outfit. The petticoat really completed the look along with rumba panties. The only time I actually enjoyed cleaning the house. lol
    [FO

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    I use to enjoy it a lot, but not as much now. I guess I've grown and now I enjoy being one who dresses to blend when I go out. Those kinds of clothes have such limits where I would never wear in public.
    Still love those cute styles though

Platinum Member
    I think there is a need to qualify terminology. The general dictionary definition of petticoat is a slip. I am totally hooked on slips/ I love slips. I love vintage slips with lots of lace at the bodice and hem. I love the colors of days gone by; pastels, reds and pinks at Valentine's Day or Christmas; browns, greens..fall colors. Anyone for Elizabeth Taylor in "Cat on a Hot in Roof?"

Some restrict 'petticoat' to an undergarment which is worn under the dress or skirt which 'poofs' it out, a multi layer of stiff fabric. Girls of the 1950's wore petticoats under their Poodle Dog skirts. Now petticoats seem to be restricted to French Maid outfits. Or retro attire for dancing.

I have several petticoats with multiple layers of fabric which 'poof out' dresses which have a large sweep at the hem.

Yeah when I hear petticoat I think of the poof kind not just a simple slip. And I don't own one but surely want to (they're quite cheap too). I'm very attracted to that 50s style of dresses both on GGs and to wear for myself.

Lol the wikipedia entry on petticoats (which is pretty interesting) mentions that they're popular with crossdressers.

I have a few petticoats and love 'em. Mainly for fun and taking pics, not for regular dressing. I remember, years ago, being in the Adirondack Mountains, Lake Placid, NY. We were going hiking and stopped at a restaurant first. There was something called the "Flaming Leaves Square Dance Festival" happening at the time. All the ladies were walking across the street in their nice dresses and poufy pettis. All of a sudden I didn't feel like hiking, wish I could've went with them and dressed like them. ...Consuelo, I love the Father Brown series. The Dr. Blake Mysteries too.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    This dress came with a fluffy petticoat built into it. However, it stopped at my knees. To create this wide bottom look I wore a hoop skirt, (Hopefully u know what those r?), with 2 very long petticoats over it. The petticoats r so long that I had to wear 4"+ heels to keep everything off the floor!

P1150113 (559x640).jpg
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Most of my favorite outfits involve me wearing a petticoat (or a hoop skirt), so I do love them. Was lucky enough to get gifted one from a friend, who knows I like to dress up, with one that I've worn with my poodle skirt! I'm hoping to add to my petticoat collection soon too as I got my eye on a really poofy one!

I don't know if I ordered the wrong one or they sent the wrong one, but I received a black petticoat with the English Maid outfit with apron from Glamour Boutique. I wanted white, so I ordered it and kept the black one. From the first time and since, I wore both petticoats with the dress. So full, I love it. I don't clean house wearing the outfit (even though I bought a feather duster as a prop for pics) and I don't role play with anyone, I just love the look, feel, snd sounds. I made a lace headband to complete the outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleScott View Post
    I don't know if I ordered the wrong one or they sent the wrong one, but I received a black petticoat with the English Maid outfit with apron from Glamour Boutique. I wanted white, so I ordered it and kept the black one. From the first time and since, I wore both petticoats with the dress. So full, I love it.
    So nobody's going to say it? Fine, I will... When do we get to see a picture, Nicole?

I think what you are talking about is called a "Crinoline". I have a pink one I wear under my Poodle Skirt. Love the look and feel.

The Crinoline Slips and Petticoats are starting to come back into style. it seems adding them to dresses from a certan seller is very popular. Can't remember the exact name, LuRa or something like that...

Genny B
    Dani (Genny before Transition)
    All Girl!

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Thank u for the correction, Anna! My Cinderella dress above, came with crinoline attached. The items I added were petticoats.
    Last edited by docrobbysherry; 02-24-2017 at 10:03 PM.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Petticoats are the reason I got into cross dressing in the first place. After all this time, I still enjoy wearing them.

Silver Member
    I'm old enough to remember when they were common for girls to wear petticoats. My sisters wore them. Getting ready for my first date I wore one. Then I changed to guy mode. I inherited my sister's petticoats as fashions changed. Went to a drive in movie dressed and wearing a couple of them to a beach party contest. I've posted about it. My mother stored them for years until she told me to take them home. Had them for years, but gave them to a friends daughter.

I usually wore a regular slip under them because they could be scratchy.

Aspiring Member
    Although I started wearing my sister's clothes at quite an early age, it wasn't until I went to university (away from home, room of my own) that my CDing really took off. (I also met a girl there who let me wear her clothes)
    That was back in the 1980s when waist slips were really still quite common. I loved the feel of them under a skirt or dress and really went for the ones trimmed around the bottom edge with lace. To this day I still have 3 waist slips that I bought or was given in the 1980s and they are still in excellent condition.

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    I got a fabulous petticoat with my first french maid dress. I wear it with lots of my other skirts for that extra little poof effect. Try one under a skater skirt.
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

Definitely love the feel of them. I love some of the costume attire. Is really fun to wear. I have my eye on a certain princess dress which my wife joked if have a daughter in the future we could have princess tea time. I couldn't say no to that!

The thing I don't like about them is how much room they take up.
    My two wedding gowns take up as much space as thirty dresses.
    "This is ME" I am not CRAZY, I'm just a GUY who likes dresses!
    Since allot of men dress up in woman's clothing that makes it a manly thing to do!
    Much more fun than fishing.
    I do construction like house building and I love CD-ing, what's the difference?

Judy-S does hit on the one thing I do dislike about them. Even though I only have a few petties, I have to mash them up to fit the totes under my bed, and boxes in my closet so no one else sees them. I guess that all goes along with being a closet cd.

I also have a few pettis and crinolines with the dresses to go with them .Lately they have been my favorites so pooooofy lol
    I have a hubcap diamond star halo

Platinum Member
    Hi Brenda, A petticoat is something that I would like to have, Not sure why I don't already have one......
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

ABSOLUTELY!! It's amazing how such a simple garment makes such a huge difference to your overall shape-it gives you an entirely new perspective of yourself. I'm 6'5" with a slim femme build, I always wanted to be curvier, voluptuous, what I personally found a more femme build from my natural. The first time I completed an outfit with a few layers of petticoat underneath and I knew I was forever sold. It changed the way I walked, sat, moved about-it was everything I all wanted to feel in my true self. Also, working in the burlesque scene with folks of all body types and gender identities that embraced the petti was just that much more affirming. A few layers of magic is really what it took, for me at least. They're fun, timeless, and just overall really great! 557777B7-3082-41ED-A4FD-F0A9A1C6CDC4.jpg

I have several elaborate, fancy maid's uniforms, with lots of lace, and can wear them with or without the many layered petticoats that I have to match them. The ones I own are all short, as I don't enjoy wearing long dresses or skirts. The one in my avatar is representitive of the type, though most don't have the high neck collar, so I wear a white leather, black velvet, or other color matching collar with the dress. KSSK2005-b.jpg

I have three dresses of the style called 'gothic lolita' which I had made by vendors on ebay. I have this one in white, white gothic lolita 17f9_1.JPG
    A similar one in black, and one in black with red and white trim.
    I also have several cheerleader uniforms, some schoolgirl uniforms (white top/plaid skirts), ONE formal long gown,

$_10.jpg

The only thing missing is a wedding gown, but I don't think that's going to happen. I simply don't have the courage to go to David's bridal and get fitted for one.
    Last edited by sometimes_miss; 02-17-2017 at 05:21 AM.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.