Thread: Met with HR... counting down to full time

Met with HR... counting down to full time

I met with HR at my university today to get the ball rolling for transition at work at the start of the summer. Not much longer now!
    The end of fear is the beginning of wisdom -- Bertrand Russell

Congratulations, Kath! I know that is a very big step. Although initially scary, it is so exhilarating once you get it behind you, not to mention exciting thinking down the road to when you finally get to be you ALL the Time!
    Marie

Courage and patience my dear....enjoy the process

Congratulations, I hope everything goes smoothly.

Congratulations on this big step in the Big State of Texas with its not so friendly reputation for our LGBT family. How did it go with them and do you expect any specific problems from the organization and peers?

Thanks for all the good thoughts!

Allie: My university has a policy in place against discrimination on the basis of gender identity, so the organization will be OK. That being said, it is a public university in Texas and the state is trying to pass anti-trans laws that apply to public schools and universities, so we'll see how that goes in the long run. Worst case, there are other jobs out there in other states and my wife and I are both eminently employable. We moved to Texas from the SF area (Livermore) for a variety of reasons, and while we like it here (the job is great, and there's no Bay Area traffic!) we always have the option to move back to California, to the East Coast, or abroad. So we'll be ok.

The important thing is that my wife, kids, close family, and friends are supportive.

This has been a long time coming. I realized 17 years ago that I needed to transition, but first my wife and then I had health issues that took precedence. In 2015 I was finally able to start hormones. We're both happy to be moving forward with this.
    The end of fear is the beginning of wisdom -- Bertrand Russell

Kath, I am at the I 680 and 24 intersection and love it out here. Originally from Michigan where the winters and springs are not that enjoyable!.

Congrats, that's such a big step.