Thread: Mr. Emma?

Mr. Emma?

I had something that actually tickled my funny bone happen last Saturday.

I was out and about on my bike to meet up with someone I haven't seen in a while.

I was far too early so I went and stopped at Chik-fil-a for some fries and a drink.

It was still a bit early so I had to wait for the fries. They asked me my name for the order and I told them Emma.

I got my drink and sat down at my table, after I took off my gear.

The girl eventually came out with my tray. Looked at me with my now obvious breast growth and said, "Mr. Emma?"

Now, I will admit. This location is one I don't normally frequent. The one I normally visit they will say "Miss Emma".

I merely smiled at the girl, accepted the tray and went about my business. Shaking my inner head the entire time with a smile. Wondering what could be going through her head. I even nearly burst out laughing.

Gotta love this journey.
    The source of fear is in the future
    And a person freed of the future
    Has nothing to fear

"That's life. It's not always rainbows and farts. Sometimes the farts have a little something extra." -Emma

Rock meet Hard Place.

That's funny Emma. So here's my story from this week:

Most of the time (at least 95%?) I am gendered female these days (or at least treated like I am), and I am good with that. That is, for me, the goal. (My legal name change, and sex designation, will change in 25 days.) I do my best to use my more feminine voice, keeping it softer, and higher. I find that the times I don't do well are when something expected happens and I respond without thinking first, or very early in the morning.

The other morning I had just woke up, had not used my voice yet, and the local radio announcer offered two passes to a weekend event for the first person who could answer a certain question. I wasn't the first to call, but I was the first to get it right. The announcer knows me (had not seen me recently, I realized), and it wasn't until I heard him announce that "Mr. My Name, was the first person to have the right answer." He got the Mr. part wrong, but yes, I am a person.

It was then I realized the first thing i need to do every morning, as soon as I wake up, is to begin warming up my voice. (I used to teach voice, and humming is what I start with.)

Another thing I need to do is make a call, or send an email, to let him know I am the real me now, and if he has occasion to say my name on the air I now go by "Miss".