Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have a dilemma, what to wear out to blend in the Great Pacific Northwest?

I have a dilemma, what to wear out to blend in the Great Pacific Northwest?

I have this dilemma; I live in the pacific northwest, and women here tend to dress casual and almost never wear skirts let alone dresses for general running around. Most wear jeans or yoga pants (lots of yoga pants here now), flats or running shoes, loose tops, and casual jackets. But I want to wear a dress or skirt... I mean I have girl jeans, flats (tan and black), some knit tops both long and short sleeves, a couple of jackets denim and a workout jacket, and I even bought a pair of yoga pants. To blend I would wear the girl jeans boot cut, tan flats or running shoes, casual knit top long or ¾ sleeve, and work out jacket. But I want to wear a skirt or a dress, Arrg! If i wear a skirt like in my avatar I will stand out, as casual as it is. It will be raining on the day I plan to go out. Any suggestions?

How about a skirt or dress with leggings?

try a rain coat

Hi, Brenda. I lived in the PNW most of my life, so know about the weather.
    If you want to blend, you have to blend. If you want to wear a dress or a skirt, by all means do. Just know that you will be just that much more "different" than the crowd. Legginsgs/yoga pants, sneakers, a sweater and a Columbia Sportswear parka are like a uniform in Portland during the rainy season, you know, the part of the year that isn't August.
    Last edited by Aunt Kelly; 02-18-2017 at 05:48 PM.

First that’s girls everywhere. It’s more about comfort than fashion. The challenge is to do it with a sense of fashion. Where you live it’s about layers. Start with leggings under a skirt/dress. Sweater, coat. If it’s raining tall boots otherwise I prefer ankle boots. You could dress this look up or down. Do not be too matchy matchy, it makes you look older.

I'm not far from where you are - just a couple hours South down I-5, in Eugene. Grew up in Portland.

Down here, I'm seeing much the same. Most of the GG's wear pants of some sort when out at the mall or other casual dress places. But not all of them. Go to a mall or grocery store and people watch, and copy the GG styles that you think you would like, and that you feel would look good on you. Even at a bar or restaurant or nightclub, you don't often see pretty dresses and high heels - unless they are on a nice date or heading to or from a more formal setting. When the weather gets warmer, you'll see more skirts.

This time of year, when it's cool and often raining, I'll admit that stretch denim women's jeans with low boots or running shoes, or skinny jeans tucked into taller boots, are often my choice for blending while shopping and the like. I'll pair those with a simple blouse or a nice sweater. It's simple and practical.

If I wear a skirt, it's most often a mid-thigh denim skirt paired with knee-high boots. I have several denim skirts, in black or indigo denim, and with various detailing differences. I also have a couple of simple solid-color cloth skirts of similar length that I'll wear for casual occasions. I have nice legs, and when I am en-femme I look like I'm in my mid 30's to mid 40's, and I can pull off that look as well as most of the college girls here can, despite me being old enough to be their mother. On the tops, I prefer an empire waist cut or a peplum cut, and I don't tuck it into the skirt.

Or I'll choose an ankle length denim skirt or a below the knee dark green tartan skirt, paired with boots or running shoes. Again with a blouse and/or sweater.

I've seen some girls wearing a tunic top and leggings, or a short skirt with leggings under it. Shows off the shape of nice legs without being too cold.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ceera; 02-18-2017 at 02:03 PM.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Here's the thing, Brenda. U have a choice. CD's who don't mind being noticed out, dress in clothes they look and feel good in. If they stand out, so be it.

If u wish to hide but won't dress in loose, sloppy clothes? Stay home and dress any way u like! Which is what I do.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I'm in the PNW too, and I see the outfits you mention most places I go. However, I also think it depends on when you're out and where you're out. I'll see lots of ladies downtown in skirts and dresses heading into or coming home from work. They're also out and about in the same outfits during the day for lunch or shopping. And on weekend nights, you'll find them dressed up a bit more too.

I second the dress/skirt with leggings look. If there's any outfit that's a bit dressier that I see often, it's that one.

Stand-up Comedian En Fem❤ Alice_2014_B's Avatar
    I only wear dresses and skirts when out in girl-mode up here in and near Tacoma; I tend to stand out, but there is plenty of variety up here.
    I thought women wore skirts and dresses more down there in Portland; I've only been there a few times though.
    As far as suggestions, not sure. I bet it can still be done without standing out.
    Let us know what you do.
    Melissa: "... and why are you dressed as a woman?"
    Coach McGuirk: "Because it's freeing."

-Home Movies
    (cartoon series)

Shoe size: 9 US women's.
    Dress size: M to L; 8-10.
    Height: 5' 6".

"what to wear out to blend in the Great Pacific Northwest?"

How about fir tree green. You will surely blend in and almost disappear into the local background?

Now seriously: Wear that skirt and top similar to your avatar. It looks great and, yes, you may stand out some. If you rock it then have fun with it. I would only recommend that you leave the heels and nylons/pantyhose behind and wear opaque tights and flats or booties or boots. I do that a lot here in the SF Bay Area and it works just fine from my perspective, which is the only perspective that really matters to me.

I live in the same area in a collage town - I see college girls all the time in skirts, dresses, most with leggings; not the majority but some anyway the rest are as you described but do it anyway you are still dressed appropriately - I do ......................Debra

I live in PDX though i do not go out much I see a lot of girls in skirts and tights. I have worn a basic black skirt with tights and a sweater not sure if I blend in but I see others in similar outfits. I have also worn skorts kind of athletic but feminine and a long sleeve athletic type shirt with shaping that helps give a little curve appearance. But in the end I hold my head high and do not worry.

Actually at any event, There are women that wear a dress or top and skirt. They stand out because of that and no problem as they are setting their own feminine look. So if you want to wear a skirt, go for it.
    Part Time Girl

I'd say wear a skirt if you want to. Just don't overdo it with your attire or you'll run the risk of standing out in a crowd who dresses more casually. The trick is to blend in.

The other thing is to consider where you're going to go. If you pick an outfit thats trendy and cute you're going to stick out in Rockwood or Milwaukee. I'd say a cute skirt, tights and stacked heel boots wouldn't be out of place at all on NW 23rd.

Silver Member
    I live in bit further north from you (Vancouver BC) and I find much the same as you. Women here rarely wear a skirt or dress, so anyone that does gets noticed. Ah well. Not that the presence of more women in dresses would make a 6ft2, 300lb man in a skirt and heels more able to blend in.

The vast majority of us in this forum do not have the good fortune to be able to blend in when dressed. I envy those who can. But my anxieties around being being spotted are far outweighed by the profound feeling of freedom I get. I so love being out in a cute outfit that nothing can get me down. I just own it, but I guess I do make a small concession to the environment. These days, I dress in a relatively low key fashion, usually in black or dark solid colors. If there's a message in my presentation, it's "This is me, but there's really not much to see, so let's move on."

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey_43 View Post
    The other thing is to consider where you're going to go. If you pick an outfit thats trendy and cute you're going to stick out in Rockwood or Milwaukee. I'd say a cute skirt, tights and stacked heel boots wouldn't be out of place at all on NW 23rd.
    I think Mickey knows Portland!

Mall, movies, any afternoon outing, skinnies, tops (+ sweaters) and booties for me.
    Anything in the evening to downtown, I'm perfectly comfortable in skirts or dresses unless the weather is REALLY bad, like pouring rain or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Helen 2 View Post
    I think Mickey knows Portland!
    I looked at a map.

There are enough PDX people here to say that it won't be about what you have on as much as when and where. I made the NW 23rd reference because, let's face it, that is a unique part of Portland. On a blustery day like today a person could walk down the sidewalk in a sweater dress and high top sneakers sporting 5 o'clock shadow and a mustache as long as they rocked it with confidence.

Platinum Member

In Or Out !

Hi Brenda, It sounds like you have two choices, Blend In OR Stand Out......
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Well for one, a cute white parka can help you feel feminine but also have the excuse that you bought it on sale off of a military surplus website. I have one to wear with my white mickey mouse snow boots when we have blizzards.
    Last edited by sometimes_miss; 02-19-2017 at 04:05 AM.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Thank you for all your recommendations and help. I picked up a denim shirt dress, I will wear the dress with Yoga leggings, a sports exercise jacket or white cardigan sweater weather depending, and tan flats or sports shoes. I hope the image uploads. Thanks again abd take care. Brenda
    What to wear shirt dress.jpg

Banned Read only
    I live in the Great Pacific Northwest where there are two seasons; rain and no rain. I don't own any female pants and never will. It's always dresses, heels and hosiery. My idea of emulating a woman does not include pants. Anyway, if you want to wear only dresses and skirts then only wear your dresses and skirts. Be a trend setter.

I see a fair amount of tights with nice boots around town. It is a nice look this time of year.

Moving here from sunnier climes is a bit of a shock to the system for some GGs I've spoken with. You have to deal with about 9 months of grey skies.

I did some people watching at the mall in Eugene this last weekend. Just sat for a few hours (while getting my phone upgraded) and watched the women going by. Maybe one in 50 was wearing a skirt or dress. Age didn't seem to be a factor. I saw moms as well as college girls in skirts or dresses. Just not a lot of them. (Didn't help that it was a cold rainy day outside.)

Something like the denim shirt dress OP said they bought would have blended in just fine. Those who were wearing skirts or dresses were mostly wearing simple, casual types. Nothing that looked like they were ready for a formal dinner date, or going nightclubbing.

One of the most delightful things about wearing women's clothing is the diverse variety of styles available, from super casual to ballgown glitzy. Observing what other ladies wear is your best guide for what will pass.